Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Hi Kim--

I'm feeling better yet today. Still working on getting in enough liquids. The popsicles do help. :)

Kimmi I am so glad that they are helping! Does it hurt to drink? Hurt your stomach and throat? That is great your feeling today and from what everyone has been saying sounds like it just gets better each day. So that is good!

Kim

I hope it does get better each day. It doesn't hurt my throat or my stomach to drink. I'm glad of that. I had a Protein Shake today--that was good! The new slimfast ones that are made for low carb diets have 20 g of protein! I had a chocolate one.

I hope it does get better each day. It doesn't hurt my throat or my stomach to drink. I'm glad of that. I had a Protein Shake today--that was good! The new slimfast ones that are made for low carb diets have 20 g of protein! I had a chocolate one.

OH that is so good that it doesn't hurt your throat or stomach to do the drinking. OH that does sound really good! I love chocolate too and 20 g of Protein is AWESOME!!!!! You don't have to do Clear Liquids for 2 weeks? I have been suprised at how different dr.'s have different meal/liquid plans. But they must be working! So many on here have lost so much! It just makes me so excited to get banded!

Kim

Kimmi,

Congrats on your surgery. Mine was done on Wednesday and other than sore muscles from lifting myself out of the hospital bed, I appear to be doing well. Had it done at Harper Hospital in Detroit. Good medical teams there. I've taken my pain med this AM and am walking. Was looking forward to walking outside, but it's raining. :rain::rain:Maybe tomorrow. Had a REALLY sore throat from the breathing tube, but the doc said that was because I have a smaller-than-usual airway. Glad something's smaller than the average bear, anyway. Hang in there.

When I began this journey back in February, I was +300. When I went in on Wednesday, thanks to the 2-week liquid diet, I had lost 20 lbs. I don't expect this to keep up but it really gives one a running start.

Thanks all for your support. :whoo:

Julia

Kim--

I noticed too how different dr.s require different things. Like some people had to be on a liquid fast weeks prior to surgery. That wasn't the case with mine. Post surgery from my dr. is Day 1-3 clear liquids; Day 4-7 Full liquids (like milk and creamed Soup etc.); Week 2 is mushie baby food consistency stuff; Week 3 begin introducing regular foods small quantities, and chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew and chew some more.

Hi Julia--

I'm glad your surgery went well and without much pain. ;) The gargling with warm salt Water and drinking warm liquids really helped with my throat; maybe it would help yours feel better too. I went in on the upside of that balance as well, but wasn't on a liquid diet prior too surgery. I'm feeling pretty good for the most part--a little tenderness when bending down or stretching and getting up 1st thing in the morning. Each day has been a little easier. I go back to work tomorrow--hopefully all goes well!

I'm from Kalamazoo and was banded just this last week. If anyone needs a referrel for a wonderful doctor in SW Michigan, message me. My doctor was wonderful, I've had no complications so far and was back to work in 4 days!! Overall a great experience!!

Kim--

I noticed too how different dr.s require different things. Like some people had to be on a liquid fast weeks prior to surgery. That wasn't the case with mine. Post surgery from my dr. is Day 1-3 clear liquids; Day 4-7 Full liquids (like milk and creamed Soup etc.); Week 2 is mushie baby food consistency stuff; Week 3 begin introducing regular foods small quantities, and chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew and chew some more.

Yeah that is so funny. My Dr. doesn't let me have regular foods till week 4. But the rest is like yours. I go Friday I am so excited!

Kim

Hey Kim, Here's a big post surgery hug :) going out to you! How did it go? I hope all went well and each day you are feeling better and better!

Kimmi

Welcome to band land Megan. I hope you are feeling great and well on your way to a new you! :)

Dog Lover,

I went to Detroit Bariatrics throught Dr. Nunn at Harper Hospital. He was great! His bariatric coordinator, Rochelle, is extremely knowledgeable and prompt and returning e-mails or phone calls. Anyway, I had bypass, although Dr. Nunn highly recommended the lapband for me. He was willing to do what I wanted and felt comfortable with doing. Anyway, I have BC Community Blue too. I paid $40 out of pocket for co-pays and that is all. I went in June 2nd for the informational meeting and had my appointment with Dr. Nunn on June 24th when I got everything done on the list. I had surgery July 16th! I am a teacher and I needed to get it done while school was out of session. I already lost almost 60 pounds and I did not even have a 100 to lose in total. However, I do go to all of the support group meetings scheduled usually the first Thursday of the month. Informational meetings are two times per month though. At the meetings, I realized that I was a rare case for complications. I had a stricture and dehydration issues from day one. However, Dr. Nunn has been very thorough in my care and everything is great now! If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. In the meantime, Detroit Bariatrics is online if you google it. I actually had my surgery with another patient who drove down from Lansing.

CMUGiRL

Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. I've enjoyed reading the dialogues. Right now I'm trying to get all squared away with assessments at Royal Oak Beaumont, but I'm also researching 2 other facilities (Port Hurona and Barix in Ypsi). I have a consultation this month at Beaumont.

I have BCBS PPO, and surgery is covered. Beaumont gave me a "checksheet" type of form that my PCP can sign off on in lieu of 12 months of weight loss attempts. (don't even get me started - I am 29 years old and have been dieting since I was 10 years old, and tried everything from diet pills to acupuncture/aromatherapy.):Banane20:

ANYHOW...I was wondering if any of you who went to Port Huron or Barix had a similar checksheet that could be turned into your insurance. My PCP totally supports this, and I am sure he will sign off on the sheet when I see him next week. I don't have documented attempts with him, because he is an MD and the last few years I have tried to go the naturopathic, holistic, exercise route. But I have seen him for 7 years and he knows I have struggled.

I'm really tense and nervous, trying not to get my hopes up, because there are just so many hurdles. :) I'm keeping a positive attitude, but between hidden fees, copays, insurance approval, and all the assessments, I'm so scared all this time off from work, gas money, research, etc will come to naught!

Hey Kim, Here's a big post surgery hug :( going out to you! How did it go? I hope all went well and each day you are feeling better and better!

Kimmi

I didn't have the surgery yet. I just had my first appointment. Praying the surgery will be set before the end of the year, so my insurance will cover it all.

Kim

Durga,

I had a consult at Barix in Ypsi. I didn't have to have records of previous diets for my insurance. What they did tell me I needed was a stress test, a psychological evaluation and a pulmonary test (my lungs were damaged by Legionaires disease).

My insurance company only required a BMI of 40+ or 35 with comorbidities(?), a letter from my PCP. a letter from the surgeon and a psych evaluation.

The only thing I had to pay was my $20.00 co-payment I ended up in Mexico cause I flunked the psych evaluation but I now go to Hillsdale for my fills and my insurance covers them too.