Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Sue,

You get your paperwork yet? This month is flying by so August will be here soon...Anyway will cynthia fax any lab work I have already had done to the clinic in Traverse..I wonder??? Has Stacey lost any more??? Bye...........

Misty, you are funny..Stay on top of them though cause if it were not for Sue letting me know they had contacted her I wouldnt have called them and found out they misplaced my paperwork...BUG them it pays off. Good luck ...Keep us updated..

I was just banded 07-11-07 in Detroit and live about 40 minutes away from there outside Monroe. Had Dr. Gazareyli from Harper Hospital. Had to pay for the surgery myself, $11,700. Great care, great hospital, would do it again.

Lorien.. Did MESSA require a 12 month supervised diet????? I was told MESSA did not require that nor does it require a psych eval. I'm a retired school teacher and I was approved with just the letter from my pcp that I had followed a diet for 12 months (I did Curves) with little success. But I'm not MESSA anymore since I am retired. Did you check with MESSA about the 12 month deal????

Lorien, I too have MESSA, and did not have to have a twelve month supervised diet, although, I did have to have the psych eval. Once I visited with my surgeon, it was exactly 2 weeks for approval. I was banded last Monday at Beaumont, Troy. Good Luck

Karen

I was just banded 07-11-07 in Detroit and live about 40 minutes away from there outside Monroe. Had Dr. Gazareyli from Harper Hospital. Had to pay for the surgery myself, $11,700. Great care, great hospital, would do it again.

Congratulations! Hope you are feel well these days. I found the worst days were days 3 & 4, but feeling great now!

Oreokitty, seeing how it has been almost a month out for you now, how is it going? I was banded on Monday, and last night and today have been the worst days for me so far. I thought I was going to breeze through this with no problems... ha! :) I have a lot of pressure/ pain right where the band it. I am sure it is just the gas build up... but I sure hope this gets better soon.

Karen

Karen

The first couple of days were horriable!!!

I was banded on Tue and I think it was Fri when I felt OK

Walk walk and walk soem more that will help the gas and teh pressure you are feeling

I would get up in teh middle of the night and pace the floor becuase I was in so much pain.

I forget that I even had teh surgery at times I am so ready for a fill

Good luck to you

wendy,

yes received it on saturday. you knoe i was just thinking of that it sure will come up quick.just come over we will give you copy of your labs.

i have not had time to talk to stacy, but she sure looks good now

sue

went to my regular urology apt today, they always do and xray to see how many kidney stones I have. The urologist and the xray tech announced that I had so much gas in my intestines that they couldn't even see my kidneys and were guessing that I still had several kidney stones based on my history, The doctor said he'll see me for a recheck in 6 months and I told him that I would "work on" all the gas so he could read the xray the next time. LOL!!! PS. saw my port, and at the angle of the xray I swear it has a smiley face, even the doctor agreed.

James 2539 & Teachlady,

Thank you for your help.

Even the thought of MESSA messing-up makes me nuts!!! I'm finally getting things rolling with my appointments, so I guess I'm finally on my way.

:crutch: I've been walking with crutches and heavily medicated for the last year due to severe back-pain (three damaged disks), so I've been desperate to get the surgery ASAP.

Not only did the UofM folks tell me I had to wait 12 months, but I called MESSA and asked them myself. They told me it was an elective surgery, there was no way they could wave the requirement. I told them it was a back pain issue, and I could have a Doctor's recommendation on their desk in 2 days, because it was my Doctor who originally suggested the surgery to me!! MESSA still said no. :blah:

Then I contacted UofM about a private-pay option. They said they do not take private-pay patients. (Private-pay would have been a huge financial sacrifice, but I wanted to know my options).

After all this waiting and literally a year of pain and restricted mobility, I will go nuts if I learn that someone just messed up (in both offices)! :confused:

Hi all

I am from Gregory which is a small town on the border of Livingston, Washtenaw, Jackson and Inghan counties. We have Teamsters insurance and they no longer require the year or 6 months of a controled diet. BMI of over 40....letter from surgeon.....letter from primary care doctor.....psych evaluation. I spent a year trying to get my insurance to cover it but I was severely depressed and kept hitting roadblocks. Finally, I flunked the psych evaluation and made the decision to go to Mexico. Two weeks later, I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. I have not had any depression since I made the decision to have the surgery and now I am ten days out and feeling great.

Is there anyone else out there from my area? I do know of a few women who have had the gastric bypass surgery but not the lapband.

Between the pre op diet and the 10 days since banding, I have lost somewhere around 20-25 lbs.

Congratulations Kirajh! Keep up the good work. I am a little north east of you, in Oakland County. I was banded about 15 days ago. Between the pre op and the banding I am down about 19 pounds. I get to have my first fill in 2 weeks and I am looking forward to it. I am finding that I can eat almost anything these days, but I am trying to be very careful. Sounds like you went through an ordeal with your insurance company. Did it only take you 2 weeks from your first contact with Dr. Ortiz until you were banded? How do you now take care of your fills? Do you just have to make contact with a doctor in your area, and will your insurance cover these at all?

Karen

I grew up outside of Gregory. Or rather the first 9 years now.

I am in Ann Arbor. Going through the Barix hospital in Ypsilanti. I am hoping to have the surgery within a month.

Let's get together sometime!

Rose

Hi all

I am from Gregory which is a small town on the border of Livingston, Washtenaw, Jackson and Inghan counties. We have Teamsters insurance and they no longer require the year or 6 months of a controled diet. BMI of over 40....letter from surgeon.....letter from primary care doctor.....psych evaluation. I spent a year trying to get my insurance to cover it but I was severely depressed and kept hitting roadblocks. Finally, I flunked the psych evaluation and made the decision to go to Mexico. Two weeks later, I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. I have not had any depression since I made the decision to have the surgery and now I am ten days out and feeling great.

Is there anyone else out there from my area? I do know of a few women who have had the gastric bypass surgery but not the lapband.

Between the pre op diet and the 10 days since banding, I have lost somewhere around 20-25 lbs.

Congrats to you! I live in Jackson, so I know where you are! :eek:

I'd love to. Barix is where I was going to have it if my insurance covered it. They're pretty nice there. I have to call and see if I can get my fills there.