Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Well I am yet another yooper...HI Sue... So I have decided no more hibernating for me..I want to live life to its fullest. I am on my way. A big congratulations to all who have made the same choice....GO LAP BAND.. lol...

wendy,

i just talked to dr fords office they mailed yous stuff today and they are sending mine tomorrow can't wait!!!!!

sue

Hi Karen

How did you manage to not do the 12mth supervised diet.? Did you get excused from it somehow or was it never even brought up? i can document my weight fluctuations for 15yrs which I had hoped would show my dieting & then regaining problem(40-60 pds lost several times) but they said it had to be 12mths supervised. So here I go again. My BMI is 38.5 so I'm worried about losing weigt & being told my BMI isn't high enough OR not losing enough weight & being told I didn't try to lose weight hard enough.

Wow that's alot of weight lost on your own. Congrats! Did your surgeon do the 1200calorie diet due to the insurance or did he not submit the insurance till after 12mth weight loss?

I had my surgery at Troy, Beaumont. It was a great experience too. I felt like I was treated like a princess... which is what I need right now. I don't know how I got away without a 12 month supervised diet... I did have to list all the diets I have ever been on and any exercises programs I have done. Besides that, I just had to have a letter from my PCP stating that I have tried dieting for many years and I would be a good candidate for this. But he never sent in papers listing month by month my attempt and weight losses or gains.

My surgeon is wonderful and I would recommend her to anyone going through this journey.

Marnie, where are you at in MI? Did your doctor tell you that if you have co- morbids along with your BMI of 38 that you might still get approved? I know when I first started this,that is what I was told, so I called BCBS myself to find out. They told me the same thing... if you have co morbids along with a pretty high BMI, insurance may still cover it. Let me know how things work out for you. I know the feelings you are going through. Try to do what ever you can to let your insurance cover it for you.

Welcome to Band Land. I'm sure your'e gonna enjoy this. I no I do.

I've been asked would you do it again??? You bet,,, in a flash, it's worth it.

I live in Greenville MI by I am woundering if there are any groups around here

I know MMPC offers them in GR but that is an hour drive and with gas so high it is not forseeable right now.

Oreokitty, seeing how it has been almost a month out for you now, how is it going? I was banded on Monday, and last night and today have been the worst days for me so far. I thought I was going to breeze through this with no problems... ha! :lol: I have a lot of pressure/ pain right where the band it. I am sure it is just the gas build up... but I sure hope this gets better soon.

Karen

Hey! Sue,

So I guess Deb has her appointment scheduled before us on the 23rd...How did that happen?

hi wendy

boy not sure maybe they had a cancel but reminder she will have to be smoke free for 3 months before surgery

sue

Hi Susieq and jpkmom,

You guys live in a nice city! I'm under the bridge (troll?) in Grayling.

I'm waiting on my doctor to get the recommendation letter sent to the surgeon - supposed to be there next week. What surgeon/hospital are you using? What pre-op tests are they making you do? Insurance giving you issues? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

Misty

hi misty

we are both going to grand traverse surgery with dr featherson. this will be your firsy visit with them. insurance has not given us a problem yet. but if you have a BMI of 40 or more you should not have many problems with your insurance we both have BCBSM.we were lucky we made consult nutrionist and phsy visit all in one day.

i hope this info helped you good luck

sue

Thanks susieq - glad to see someone going to the same hospital - they seem like a great staff. I should be hearing from them soon.

:yo: Hello Fellow Michiganders!!

I'm from the Flint area and I'm looking forward to being banded by UofM ... sometime in the future!

I have MESSA and I'm on my 8th month, of the 12 required months of supervised Doctor's appointments! The good news is that tomorrow, I have a phone-date with the UofM folks to set-up my appointments with them!!

It's the first glimmer of light I've had, at the end of a very long tunnel!

I'm afraid that due to back-pain (and frustration of having to wait so long for the banding), I've put on even more weight. After reading your posts, I wonder if they'll require me to be on liquids before my surgery. :cocktail:

I was even thinking of trying NutriSystem just to get a head-start. Has anyone had any luck with that??

... Whatever it takes - Right!!

Since reading your posts, I have a renewed sense of optimism and enthusiasm. I find it really funny how we all seem to be going to different cities for the surgery. It seems like the folks from TC are going to Port Huron for surgery, while the Port Huron folks are heading to Flint. I'm in Flint, but I'll be heading over to UofM, etc ... :D:o

... oops I forgot Henry Ford ... which was on purpose because I originally started the banding process with them, but they lost my paperwork, which sent me back 2 months!! I hadn't heard anything from them, so on my 3rd phone call to see why nothing was moving ahead (after doing the preliminary registration), they admitted they couldn't find my paperwork - with no apologies. :rant:I wasn't feeling very confident at that point, so I followed my Doctor's recommendation to try UofM.

Anyway - I'm REALLY glad to find this thread. Thank you all for getting me fired-up again about this surgery and I appreciate your input!!

P.S. I like these smiley guys ... could you tell?!:eek: