Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alternatives To Protein Shakes

Hello all!

This is my first post! I'm excited for my upcoming surgery on February 1st, but I am having a lot of difficulties with the Protein shakes. I purchased several sample packs from different companies in different flavors and I just can't get them down! My husband and I are doing the surgery together and he says it's just all in my head...which is probably right! laugh.png Nevertheless, I can't get past the horrible smell and the gritty taste. Then when I do get some down it just feels like it's sitting in my stomach funny and I'm going to puke. I'm allowed solids on my pre-op diet so I've just been substituting with lots of tuna, but I'm not quite sure what to do post-surgery.

Any ideas?

I had to resort to Boost High Protein...only one I could get down. Another alternative is from GNC...its an unflavored whey Protein, with no artificial sweeteners or anything. You can use it to make smoothies, or mix it in milk. I mixed it in broth but it tends to clump if you add it when its hot. So...add the Protein Powder while the broth is cold.

I do not like the Protein Drinks as well. However there is one I can tolerate. It's at Walmart. It's called Body Fortress-chocolate flavor. I have found that if I blend it in the blender (I use skim milk) and let it sit for about 5 minutes, much of the grittiness dissolves. I also put it in a cup with a lid and constantly stir or swish it around which seems to help. I have to drink it through a straw with a lid to avoid smelling it. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

I had a similar problem on my pre op diet. I would even throw up from the shakes. Even thinking about it now makes me sick! I eventually switched to sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. It doesn't have much Protein through (only 13 grams) but I still lost 14 pounds pre op. I still drink it for breakfast 5 days a week. I love it!

2 cups of 1% milk has the same calories, fat, carbs and slightly higher Protein as the Protein Shakes that I was told to drink. I also took a Multivitamin daily as well. I substituted milk regularly as I couldn't stand the protein shakes (I could only manage one per day, mixed with crushed ice in a cup with a lid-so I couldn't smell it). I used the milk to drink and make pureed veg soups). I lost about 20 pounds on the pre-surgery diet and my doctor was okay with my substitutions. Check with your doctor first.

I don't like powered Protein Shakes with just milk I add a banana and a few bluie berries the a chocolate Protein shake.. I could have this post op so I bought pre made protien shakes. Premier at Sams club is 30 gm protien and really taste good. These cost more premier is 18.000 a case and I also buy EAS low carb drink in pharmacy at grocery store a 4 pack is around 7.00. Also adding 1/4 cup powered milk to your skim milk brings your protein up to 16 grams. I also drank special k it a flavored protien you add to wate. Comes in several flavors strawberry kiwi ect. It's 16 gm protein. I couldn't tolerate the sweetness after surgery so added small ants to all my Water throughout day until I drank all of the package. It comes in a tea flavor too I can find it at my stores? Hope all goes well!

Thanks for the tips!

The only one I really like is the chocolate Splendoe "Unjury" shake. I can't taste any grit like most do. It actually taste like chocolate milk to me.MMM001_tt2.gif You have to order it online and my doctor's office gave me a few packs to try before hand. I also like the Slim Fast To Go shakes, but I was told that they have too much sugar content in them, unless you can find the Carb version, which I have not found yet anywhere.

I have been drinking the Premier ones from costco as well.. No chalky, medicine taste. In fact they taste like a yummy chocolate shake!

I drank milk pre and post op never had a Protein Shake yet smile.png check with doctor tho, u can alwasys add skimmed milk to 0 fat greek yoghurt to make a yoghurt drink .. tons of good fresh Protein in them !

My favorite are Unjury chocolate because it is not gritty and taste good and carnation instant breakfast sugar free it taste like chocolate milk. I also found to do the shakes in a blender with ice helps them go down smoother and it helps the taste. good Luck!!!

Definitely Premier Protein from costco (160 cals and 30 grams protein) tastes like sweet milk and believe me all the other ones also taste terrible and just made me gag...also a non flavored Protein powder put into Soups etc...I got the one fromGNC and it was good. Not really noticable in soups...

Google Chike.... its something like www.ilikechike.com ..... it's a special brand for bariatric patients only .... I tried it and it was really good, the orange was awesome. Good Luck

Since I am a vegetarian I have to really think about protein...I eat Beans almost every day...usually (cuz I'm lazy) the veg refried canned beans from Rosarita with some sour cream or greek yog!

Have you tried Unjury with lots of ice? Delish!