Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Abroad - Post Operation Fills Near Louisville, Ky

Greetings,

I am looking at procedures in Mexico because I have a friend who is connected to a lot of doctors in that area and brings patients there for medical procedures. I was offered a VERY good price to have my procedure done in Guadalajara, but I cannot find any docs that will do a fill for me in the Louisville, KY area. I mean I literally called 12 different offices and none of them would touch a fill when the surgery was performed in Mexico.

It is frustrating to know that doctors in the US will ignore their ethical obligation to help people just because a person is smart enough to have the procedure performed elsewhere to save 12,000 dollars. I mean honestly, is that what our healthcare system has come to in the United States? It is no wonder people want to travel abroad to have these sorts of procedures done when they have to pay out of their pocket.

I could really use some help on finding someone close. Thank you all!

I am from louisville, Ky and I am not sure if I have heard of drs that will adjust your lapband if done out of country, I did find this on the web that might be helpful

For patients who had Lap Band Surgery outside of the United States, it is also a matter of the doctor not knowing whether or not the surgery was performed to the standards set in the US for patient safety. The doctor can be in trouble with the licensing board if you have a gastric band that is not approved for use in the United States. If you choose to have your surgery in Mexico or another country, make sure you work out fill arrangements before you have the surgery, unless you will be traveling back to the same bariatric surgeon for your adjustments and exams.

If you find a doctor to accept you as a fill patient, it is common for them to charge you an initial consultation fee and a one-time program fee in addition to the cost of the fill. The first appointment and fill with a doctor could cost about $1000, and then about $100 to $300 a fill on subsequent visits. Another option is going to a lap band fill center such as Fill Centers, USA.

might want to check out these "fill centers" see if there is any close to ky. good luck to you

Yeah, I checked around and the closest fill center I could find is in Ashland, KY which is several hours driving. I was hoping that being so close to a big city I could find somewhere closer. I am so frustrated with the healthcare system here I am not surprised that a lot of people look for options outside of the country. How can a doctor in the US deny treatment to a patient who received a surgery abroad at an internationally certified hospital? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Isn't there some kind of ethical obligation to treat anyone who needs treatment if you are capable and they are willing to pay and the procedure is necessary?

Anyone else that knows of a doctor in the area I would really appreciate the info.

thank you all!