Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 14Cc Band Is Maxed Out At 10Cc"s?

I went to my doc yesterday for a fill - I haven't been losing weight recently and I have about 15 lbs left to lose. It's been 2 yrs in Oct for me. My dc explained to me when he injected the Fluid that he could barely push the plunger in - it was fighting him the whole time. He managed to get .5 cc in tho. He also told me that I'm maxed out - that anything in the future is just me. How can I be maxed out at 10cc? He explained to me that your stomach is like a balled up pc of paper - with folds in it that the band needs to cover also. It can't go at 14 cc - that would be a smooth stomache and no one has that.

Has anyone else heard this also? I'm hoping this will take care of my last 15 lbs - but I'm also bummed that it's done it's job and the rest is up to ME??!! Me?? I didn't do a very good job before my band - what makes me think I can do a bang up job of it after? Lol.

Thanks!

Marci

Everyone that I know of and have seen on chat has more than the "limit" in their band. One man with a 14cc band has nearly 15cc's in it. Another lady has a 14 cc band and has 15cc in it. Maybe you have a different band? Not sure but seems if its 15cc, it should hold 15cc's easily.

I think it makes sense. I wanted to tell you that when I plateaued at 155 pounds and really wanted to get to normal BMI which would be 145, I went for a fill and got 0.3cc which I thought was ridiculously tiny! Anyway, over the next 6 weeks I got to 145 easily and over the next 6 weeks it went to 139 and now I am just leveled off there and very happy.

My point is, hopefully your small fill will do it!

I think your Dr is talking BS. Yes the band can take the maximum capacity it is designed to, sometimes more.

As to whether or not you need your band filled to maximum that is another question altogether.

Can I ask which brand of band you have?

I remember reading when I was first banded, that with all band the maximum Fluid that can be put in a band is a % of what the band's capacity is.

So a 10cc band for instance, it's maximum fill would be around 8 cc's. it was in the Realize literature. Can probably look it up on their website.

However:

The proper procedure when giving a fill: The first step is to take a empty syringe and remove ALL of the Fluid fist.

By doing this the Dr. can compare the amount he takes out, to the amount that was previously put in and determine if there are any significant leaks.

He is also supposed to check for discoloration.

He then takes a fresh syringe, and fills it with fresh saline to the original amount PLUS any additional. This way he knows EXACTLY what he is putting in

He should not be doing any pushing and guessing your max'd out.

Thanks for the responses. I have a 14cc Realize band. I always thought it would take at least 14cc- if not more. Yesterday was the first I've ever heard that I'm maxed out. I just ate my first actual meal a few minutes ago - some clam chowder. Went down fine, no vomiting. That's how I usually rate my restriction, whether I vomit my first few meals or not. I know that's bad, but it's what kept me from eating too much in the past. I went out to lunch to a seafood place with a friend today (I kept it to Tomato Soup last nite) and couldn't find anything healthy that would go down easily - just in case. I'm making chicken breasts tonite - hopefully I'll be able to tell more with "real" food.

And B-52: thats the way my doc does do the fills. He emptied my band then put more in the syringe to count how m,uch was in there, then had a problem putting the amount that was already in there + some back in. I watched the syringe plunger backing out by itself, without him any pressure on it at all. My doctor is excellent - I go to 1 of only 2 centers of excellence in OR - and he's very knowledgeable about bariatric surgeries. That's why I'm wondering why there's so many answers to this question??

Marci

Thanks for the responses. I have a 14cc Realize band. I always thought it would take at least 14cc- if not more. Yesterday was the first I've ever heard that I'm maxed out. I just ate my first actual meal a few minutes ago - some clam chowder. Went down fine, no vomiting. That's how I usually rate my restriction, whether I vomit my first few meals or not. I know that's bad, but it's what kept me from eating too much in the past. I went out to lunch to a seafood place with a friend today (I kept it to Tomato Soup last nite) and couldn't find anything healthy that would go down easily - just in case. I'm making chicken breasts tonite - hopefully I'll be able to tell more with "real" food.

And B-52: thats the way my doc does do the fills. He emptied my band then put more in the syringe to count how m,uch was in there, then had a problem putting the amount that was already in there + some back in. I watched the syringe plunger backing out by itself, without him any pressure on it at all. My doctor is excellent - I go to 1 of only 2 centers of excellence in OR - and he's very knowledgeable about bariatric surgeries. That's why I'm wondering why there's so many answers to this question??

Marci

Ok, I read your original post wrong.

Just for some info, I had a kinked tube once. My port and tube are very near the surface and is easily to feel. The tube snakes a little

and for some reasons one curve pulled in and make a tight kink (blockage)

But this was noticed when he was trying to pull the Fluid out, and was getting nothing, and the plunger kept going back in.

Just the opposite as your experience.

He had to massage the tube area with his finger as he pulled on the syringe.

I have a 4 cc band and at about 3cc's I was way over filled. I had to go back to the surgeon, and he stuck a syrenge in, and the plunger just popped up ! ! ! He said WOW !! I asked whats's wrong ? He said when that happens the balloon in the band is blown.

So I never seen it get to the point where it's Maxed Out.

BTW it was not blown.smile.png

The proper procedure when giving a fill: The first step is to take a empty syringe and remove ALL of the Fluid fist.

Most dr's in Australia have stopped doing things this way as the constant emptying and refilling of the band can actually contribute to problems and affect the level of restriction. The best way to imagine it is to think of a balloon that has been blown up and then deflated a couple of times, compare that balloon with a new one that has never been blown up and look at how different they are. The material in the one that has been constantly blown up and then let down is stretched and not as elastic.