Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous, Anxious, Excited And A Little Scared

So on Jan 5th I visited Dr Dietrick and was told that I am an eligible candidate for the LapBand....WOOHOO!!!!

On Jan 13th, I had my EKG, UA, Blood work and Chest X-ray the only thing left on my list is to get my mental health evaluation. Our next step is obtaining copies of my weight for the past 6 yrs as proof that I have been overweight. I am a little stressed because I was pregnant for 3 of the past 6 yrs so they do not want to use any weight from those years in fear UHC will deny the authorization. So now, we are just trying to gather what we can and work from there. Has anyone else run into this problem with UHC and verifying weight?

Dr Dietrick and I have discussed a goal weight of 160lbs to start so that is 90lbs I am planning to lose. I try to imagine what it would be like to weight 160lbs and it is hard but yet so exciting. My husband is very concerned of the ricks as well as me losing weight to fast and then becoming unhappy with saggy skin. My other family members are so supportive of my decision and have offered to help where it is needed.

I am new to this website and this whole adventure any support or suggestions would be appreciated.

Congratulations! You're on your way and you'll find a lot of support and help here. Like you, I joined before my surgery and learned SO much, especially about what to expect before, during, and after my banding.

I was banded on 12/30, so I'm 17 days out. Since I was on a liquid diet and am now on "mushies", I've lost 16 lbs. My first fill is on 1/30 and since I'll be on solid food by then, I expect my weight loss to be 1-2 lbs per week, which is the healthiest way to lose. As far as sagging skin - as long as you don't lose too fast and start exercising right after your surgery (walking, a little longer each time, then to more exercise after your doctor approves), your skin is elastic enough so that it shouldn't sag - kind of like after having a baby.

As far as the risks go: as with any surgery where you're under general anesthetic there are risks. But it's laparoscopic, which means they'll make some incisions in your stomach, rather than cutting you open and it usually takes 45 minutes to an hour. Its very similar to gallbladder surgery, except they're putting something IN, rather than taking your gallbladder out. The first couple of days after your surgery are uncomfortable, because they pump you full of air before they insert the band, and that air has to dissipate out of your body (which takes about a week). Since air rises, it usually settles under your shoulder blades. Gas-x strips and walking help a lot.

Spend some time here, read the different forums and you'll learn so much. And if you have questions, just ask - everyone is glad to help and will support you.

Welcome! This is the best place to come to get questions answered and all the support you could ask for! Good luck!

I am getting a lap band on Feb 3. Very nervous. I have started the pre-op diet and lost 5 pounds. I am counting on the support of others! My best friend was banded in 2006 and has lost all of the weight she wanted to lose and has kept it off. That inspires me!! Good luck!

I am getting a lap band on Feb 3. Very nervous. I have started the pre-op diet and lost 5 pounds. I am counting on the support of others! My best friend was banded in 2006 and has lost all of the weight she wanted to lose and has kept it off. That inspires me!! Good luck!

You'll get lots of inspiration and help here - read through the pre-op and surgery forums; they were so helpful to me. And if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Everyone on here will support you!

Congratuations (don't be nervous - its the first step!)!

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. This website is pretty amazing and I've learned so much. I am looking forward to a new me and a healthy life

I got my my results back today and I cleared my Labs, EKG and Chest Xray...all thats left is my mental exam and then we submit to UHC.... wish me luck!

I got my my results back today and I cleared my Labs, EKG and Chest Xray...all thats left is my mental exam and then we submit to UHC.... wish me luck!

Best Wishes and Good Luck!!!!

Just found out that my preop is schd for 2/16 and surgery schd 2/29...oh yeah!

Awesome, can't wait for you to share your success with us!