Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Did You Get Your First Fill Post-Op?

I was banded on 12-29 and scheduled for my first fill on 1-25 about 4 weeks post-op. I would like to know how soon post-op did most people get their fills. How many fills does insurance cover? I have federal blue/cross blue shield.

Also, how soon after the first fill will the second fill take place? A month/two months after?

Banded 11/28/11, first fill 01/05/12, 2nd fill scheduled for 2/2/12. My Dr. offers unlimited fills with the surgery. I think it's just part of his charge. I have BCBS anthem.

2nd fill will take place if and when you need it but most docs prefer 4+ weeks. My 1st fill did virtually nothing. Hoping #2 is more successful.

First fill exactly 4 weeks after surgery. I then met with him every 4 weeks after that. Had a total of 3 fills on 3 consecutive visits.

I now see him every 3 months.

B-52,

I like your slogan "It's all about Restriction! Otherwise it's just another diet." That's how I feel right now. Losing weight but mostly because I'm dieting. I'm rather impatient since it took me 2.5 years to finally get through all the insurance hoops and have my surgery. Now I find that the band doesn't work immediately. Thought I had all the angles down but I'm still in limbo till I get that fill that sends the signal, "you've eaten enough fatass". LOL

My surgeon planned 1st fill at 6 weeks post. But I had a 10 day cruise planned, so I waited until after I returned. I am a Federal employee -- I have BCBS, but an H M O. My surgeon's contract with the H M O provided me with easy access to him for the first year. After that I need prior authorization for fills. Also after the first year, he has me do an upper GI and esophogram prior to a fill. That needs prior approval as well. The authorizations come through in about a week for me.

Regular Fed BCBS, I am not sure.

My surgeon does not do fills until 6 weeks post op because it takes 6 weeks to heal, and instead of doing it early and risking busting a stitch he waits 6 weeks. next fills are dont no sooner than 4 weeks apart and if you feel you need it

My first fill was at 12 weeks.

There is no set schedule for fills. It is when having a fill will be beneficial for you. I'm about 18 months out from surgery, I've had 3 fills and one slight unfill. Some people never have fills and some people have their band completely filled.

I am right there with you on the no restriction part! I am going for my 3rd fill on the 24th and I really hope it does the job! So ready to be off of this "diet" and get some help :/

My 1st fill was 6 weeks out then 2nd fill another 6 weeks out. My 2nd was on 1/03 and I have my 3rd on 1/31. Doc told me I could come in every 4 weeks now until I'm in the green zone.

I had my first fill yesterday, 3 weeks and 3 days postop. They made me an appointment for 3 weeks for a possible 2nd fill. This sounds real fast after reading what others have said.

I would have preferred to get my first fill sooner myself and after the first fill did nothing I was ready for a 2nd 1 week after the first. But Dr's have their own agenda.

If you feel like the current fill you got yesterday is working you can cancel the 2nd fill. No Dr can force you to accept a new fill. You should feel happy that your Dr is willing to add more Fluid or take some out so soon.