Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Use A Fitbit?

What is your experience with a fitbit? Is there anyone out there that uses it in conjunction with myfitnesspal.com? If so what are your thoughts?

I got a fit bit for Christmas but haven't checked it out yet. I would also be interested in a response from someone who currently uses this tool.

I think a fit bit is very similar to the BodyMedia Fit - maybe even the same thing by a different name. I have the latter and love it, and I am on MFP. I log all my food on MFP and at the end of each day I plug in my BMF to determine how many calories I have burnt for each exercise. It lets me slide the slider to the start and finish times and shows the calories burnt in that window of time. Then I enter those exercises as my exercises in MFP. I believe it is more accurate than the MFP exercise calculations.

Good luck.

I use both. I got the Fitbit for Christmas so haven't been using it for very long but so far, I LOVE IT! I'm a tester for the integration with MFP and it seems to work ok. I'm not sure though. Since I usually eat pretty much the same things it might be just as easy to log it into fibit and get it in their database. That way I would only need to be logging on to one site. It's personal preference, but I like Fitbit's website better than MFP. But I like MFP's food database better. At any rate, I like the way my Fitbit shows how many steps I've taken, how many floors I've climbed, the distance I've traveled and even my sleep patterns. My husband even uses one now and it has really made a difference in our exercise.

I use both. I got the Fitbit for Christmas so haven't been using it for very long but so far, I LOVE IT! I'm a tester for the integration with MFP and it seems to work ok. I'm not sure though. Since I usually eat pretty much the same things it might be just as easy to log it into fibit and get it in their database.

So what does the fitbit tell MFP? When I read the ad i felt like the excersize and calories burned automatically uploaded to MFP from the fitbit. Did i read it wrong?

It shows a fitbit calorie adjustment under the exercise portion of MFP so it does transfer your calories burned. I haven't actually entered a specific exercise in either to see how they transfer. I enter my foods in MFP and it transfers a summary to the fitbit website. Something else to consider is the fact that they don't have the kinks worked out and unless you specifically ask MFP if you can be a tester, you can't even use both at this time. I actually think it might just be easier for me personally to just use the fitbit site and skip MFP all together. I dunno, I'm still getting used to both. Sorry if this didn't answer your question clearly. I really do love my fitbit though!

I just got my fitbit on Friday and so far I love it! I'm using the fitbit website and iPhone app to log my food. I haven't really played with the fitness logging, I'm just using it for my steps for the time being. The sleep tracker is pretty cool, I've learned that I have NO sleeping problems (haha). The other cool thing about the fitbit is that it is discreet; I clip mine to my bra and I don't even know it's there.

It really has motivated me to move more. I'm constantly checking to see where my steps are at for the day and deciding how much more I need to move based on that count. I also picked up zumba for the wii and that'll really add to your steps! It's fun, too!

I have been using the Fitbit for nearly a year and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a device to help with calorie expendature. The Fitbit tracks calories out based on movement and can also be used to log food, sleep, journal, etc. If you like numbers and really want to see what's going in vs out, it's a good buy at $100.

It is also very discrete- you can clip it on your bra, pants pocket, etc. The Bodymedia or Bodybugg must be worn on the upper arm and cause a lot of people to ask about it.

Sorry if this didn't answer your question clearly. I really do love my fitbit though!

Thank you! you did answer my question. I really love MFP and I'm logging my indoor exersizes on it. But when I walk outside I used endomondo for the iphone to track my speed and distance .. My husband and I are going to Disney World in February and I mentioned that we need something to track our distance there because I can't leave the GPS on my phone on all day with out plugging it in. We started looking at pedometers and that's when I saw the ad for fitbit on MFP.

I don't mind logging the data in MFP until they get the integration up and running. I think you all have me sold on this fitbit though!! Thank you so much for all the feedback!