Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Some Advice From Someone Employed In The Medical Field

I have a strange situation and need advice! I am getting banded on january 23. I work for two doctors (husband/wife). I don't work in their offices...I work in their home....household stuff, cooking, errands, etc. I have not told them about my planned surgery. This is something I would like to keep private. They aren't my actual physicians...I have never seen them in their offices and they are not affiliated with my primary care physician...my question is...can they access my medical records? I was thinking of telling them that I needed some time off because I had an emergency appendectomy. Thoughts? Thanks

If your records was accessed it would be considered a HIPPA violation, since they are not involved in your care. Most people want even waste their time trying to get your info. Don't know what you should tell them in this situation, but goodluck.

I am a nurse. If they aren't your Dr.s then they cannot look at your records. There is a law HIPPA which protects patients information from any other person including family member's who would like to know something about your medical information. It is illegal and taken very seriously. I am very cautious about where any of my patients records are put. You are not allowed to even set down information with a patients name on it let alone give information on that person. I would NEVER do that. In the medical field there can be legal consequences for breaking the HIPPA law. So I wouldn't worry.

If they actually are brave enough to do something like that,it's not only unethical but illegal...HIPPA laws are very clear. Not only would they have to pay a fine and they would have to write you a check along with it...I wouldn't even get into specifics , just tell them it's for pErsonal reasons and leave it at that. By law you don't have to give explanation, I'm sure they don't when they call in. Good Luck :)

First of all, lying will always get you in the end, one way or another.

Just ask for the week off. Everyone is entitled to time off for work and it is not really anyone's

business after the fact.

As far as your medical information, by law it is illegal to to share information, but it does happen.

But they would have to go digging for it, in a dept. or area other than where they have any business and that will not appen.

If they were Bariatric Surgeons also, practicing at the same hospital, it would be very easy for them to access. But why would they? Whay take the risk?

Also, if they are friends with your surgeon. Lets face it, when people in the same profession get together, they always talk shop. Especially the humorous stories or the S.O.B. cases. Normal day to day cases go un noticed.

Can get very detailed, just NEVER mention names or anything to give away your identity. Happens everyday!

Example: 2-3 Docs at the Gym playing racquetball. One Doc says "Boy, talk about nut cases, I have a patient who has undergone the surgery last week and she actually told her employer it was an Emergency Appedectomy! What some people wouldn't do to make excuses."

Doc 2 says: "this person wouldn't be female, about yo tall, weighs such and such, would it?"

Say no more or we'll get in trouble,but I think I know exactly who you are talking about."

Also, I hate to admit it, but there are patients who become "Persona non grata" and law or no law, somehow they become widley known.

I wouldn't lie about the reason you're off - what happens if you actually need an emergency appendectomy in the future?!?! If you're sure about not wanting to tell them the specifics, you can always just ask for the time off and say it's for surgery of a personal nature and that you don't want to discuss it.

I wouldn't lie about the reason you're off - what happens if you actually need an emergency appendectomy in the future?!?! If you're sure about not wanting to tell them the specifics, you can always just ask for the time off and say it's for surgery of a personal nature and that you don't want to discuss it.

Exactly...They're professionals, be professional with them.

thanks for the advice. I know that not being honest is the wrong approach, but I want to keep this private, atleast for now. My daughters (aged 16 & 18) are thrilled for me. When I told them about it, their reaction was one that I'd expect if I told them I won the lottery. My husband...not so much. I didn't even tell him that I was attending the seminar or that I was even CONSIDERING having the surgery until after I scheduled it. I knew that I wouldn't have the support, so I just felt better about doing those things alone. I actually didn't even TELL him anything until AFTER it was scheduled. Basically, after I scheduled it, I TOLD him that I WAS doing it with or without his support. I've never done anything like that before, but I felt strong enough to just tell him that's what I was doing! (I haven't worked for ten years (I stayed home with children), and during that time, I kind of lost myself). He says he's just "being realistic" but basically doesn't think I can do it. I asked him to join my "team" and be my cheerleader, but I don't expect that to happen. My surgeon does a webinar on youtube, and I sent my husband the link so that he could watch it. It's only about 30 minutes long, but it took him well over 24 hours to even open the email. I was so excited, and I sent him the link in an afternoon, but he came home from work and watched golf on TV instead of logging on and watching. I guess I was hoping for him to watch the video and do some online research so he could know how to best support me. I haven't told my parents, because my mom is an extreme worrier and my dad is expecting a phone call for a kidney transplant any day now, so I don't want to add to their plate. I have one close friend that lives nearby, but she is very thin and very exercise/health conscious and VERY opinionated. I wouldn't expect support from her.

I guess this explains why this "job" that I have is very important to me. I just started in August and I only work about 20 hours a week, but it's the first time that I have felt appreciated in YEARS. It's probably something that I don't want to do forever, but it's great for me because it offers flexibility during the day, which is important since I have daughters in High School. The doctors that I work for are very conservative with medicine, and, because of their culture, I genuinely wouldn't expect them to be supportive, but, I guess I could be wrong. (they seem to be very judgemental) The real issue is probably that I don't even feel confident enough in myself to sit down and have the conversation with them. I don't want to feel judged. I'm a smart person and I know that lying is not the best approach, but I'm just feeling like I don't know how to approach it. I'm hoping that after the surgery, I'll lose the weight and gain the self confidence back that I used to have.

You would be surprised on what the doctors, you work for, think. My sons best friend is a doctor, and he was really pushing him to have the surgery. He said you won't live to be 50 at your rate! He is an Indian. My PPO doctor is from Uraguay, she was, also, all for it. They might be judgemental, but they probably think that you might need help. if you are heavy enough to be approved, then they might have their opinion about your weight too. Give them the benefit of the doubt! Best wishes, Karen

Doctors, like lawyers and clergy, deal with confidentiality issues daily. Simply tell them that you are undergoing surgery and that you expect to be out of work for approximately one week.

If you have a hiatal hernia, you could tell them you're getting that repaired...wouldn't be a lie!

I agree with the advice that you should just say you are having a surgery of a personal nature that you would prefer not to discuss the details. For all they know, it could be about your woman parts. That also gives them some time to prepare for you not being there. If you say you're having an emergency appendectomy, then they won't have any notice that you'll be gone.

I agree, it's none of their business, regardless of their profession. I definitely do not recommend lying, though. Good luck! Keep us updated.

I think I'm too superstitious to lie about the reason I'm out. As an employer, they really shouldn't ask if you simply keep the explanation to, "I need time off for surgery." If they ask more, then just tell them you'd rather not discuss it. You're doing something very brave for yourself by having the surgery - be brave to be honest or stick to your guns by not wishing to disclose it to them.

If I learned that someone who was working for me was lying and being dishonest, I guarantee they will not me working for me much longer.

If I learned that someone who was working for me was lying and being dishonest, I guarantee they will not me working for me much longer.

I agree, absolutely! Best of luck!