Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got Banded Yesterday And Still In A Ton Of Pain... Normal???

yesterday i was so ill from the morphine but also it felt like someone just reached into my chest and was squeezing my stomach with all their might. still having trouble breathing this morning and i am just worried cuz i found a lot of newly banded patients saying is been a cake walk, no pain or what have you. also the pain meds just make me sleepy, the pain is still waking me up constantly. i think i have a high tolerance for pain, i usually fall asleep for tattoos and piercing dn't really bother me and i have a lot of both. this is almost as painful as labor helpppp!!!!!!!!!

Call your doctor for sure!! Maybe ask if they can give you anti nausaea pills that you can take with the pain meds.

Our surgeon gave us oxycodone and an anti nausea pill to take. That might help with the overall bad feelings.

I was banded 4 days ago and the first couple of days I nearly cried from the pain. The gas was the worst pain I remember having. I was given Tylenol #3 liquid and gas x tabs. I couldn't get out of a chair or bed without alot of help. I understand the feeling that you can't take a deep breath. The one thing I can say, 4 days later I am feeling much better, gas is more relieved and I can get around on my own. I just keep hanging on to "this too shall pass" and support from folks here. You are not the only one who has experienced this :)

I had alot of gas and abdominal pain for the first few days too. I was thinking the same thing about all of the posts that say this was such a cake walk. I guess not everyone is the same, I am feeling much better now though, I am at oost op day 9. I still have some gas pains, although not nearly as bad. I met with a friend of my sisters that was banded 2 years ago and she said she couldnt believe how well I was doing. She said she couldnt even leave the house for 2 weeks after surgery. She had no regrets and looks great by the way. She told me that her husband told her to stop loosing weight, she was getting to skinny ! LOL. Hang in there!

I had a situation where the pain meds just made me sleepy, and when I woke up was in extreme pain.

So I called my surgeon, and explained it, and he said he would change my pain medication.

He did, and it helped.

He had me on Tyleno3 or Vicodin, and switched to Percocet.

The other medication was codeine based, so it did not work for me.

I too was in a lot of pain after surgery. The worst of it lasted for 2 days and I would take a liquid pain killer and gasex every 3 hours and then go back to bed (I had to sleep almost sitting up as I could barely get up from a horizontal position). By day 3, things were starting to improve. And after a week, I was on the road to recovery. It took about 1 month for me to feel completely normal again. So hang in there, it's early days and you will feel better soon.

Hi, this is my first post here.

I was just banded a week ago today, January 6th. I had horrible chest and abdominal pain. It was unrelenting for the first couple of days, in fact they even did an EKG to be sure it wasn't my heart. The nurses kept nagging me "you need breath deep, you need to practice breathing" and I was like "how am I supposed to breath when it hurts to?" It was awful.

Thankfully, I'm fine now. It was all that dang air they pump into your abdominal cavity for the surgery. It isn't normal "gas", because it's not in your digestive system, which means it can't be "passed" or burped out. Your body has to reabsorb it.

It takes time, but I promise you, all that pressure will go away. I know it hurts and I know it's hard, but try to walk as much as you can stand. It really does help to work that out of you. If someone told me just 3 days ago I'd be running around town like normal today, I'd have laughed at them. But... I feel just fine and am pain free.

Hang in there.

I had alot of pain after surgery as well, the gas pain was unbearable so I took chewable gas X and it worked.... i felt as though it would pass but after day 5 i was up and walkin around with little discomfort and by day 8 I was pretty much back to my self with a little soreness around the port....BTW i was banded on 12/30/11

This is just a part of the process..... You will be back to yourself in no time!!!!!

Ask the Dr. for anti-nausea pills, it really helps. BUT in about 7 days it will be over. Good Luck on your journey..

thanks to everyone. yall r describing the EXACT pains i am feeling. i took a long walk this morning and then did the exercise bike for like 25 min. i really do feel better. the breathing deeply is still the hardest but i know it won't last forever so i gotta suck it up. i was going to get the dr to get me some perks but i just think that'll make the gas/constipation worse. i am worried about going back to work in a few days. good thing i work with some amazing girls so they will help out. oh so how do i get one of those ticker factory things on my profile