Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Support--thinking About Getting Lap Band Removed...

I was banded in September 2009. I initially only lost about 20 lbs and have gained all of that back. I went last May and got a fill because I could eat almost anything from the prior fill. He didn't give me much, but I have trouble eating any type of meat without some kind of sauce on it. So, I fill up on things that go down easy and most of those things are very high in calories.

I just started a diet program and I need to be able to eat lean Proteins, but I also need to be able to still have that full feeling that I get with having some restrictions. Any tricks or secrets to getting these foods down?

The 2nd thing is that I just really feel freaked out by having this lapband. I really feel like I made a bad decision and did not research my options very well first. Just want some perpective from others, I am at a really low point right now, trying to lose weight, feeling terrible about myself, feeling bad that I basically wasted $12,000 on surgery...

I was banded in September 2009. I initially only lost about 20 lbs and have gained all of that back. I went last May and got a fill because I could eat almost anything from the prior fill. He didn't give me much, but I have trouble eating any type of meat without some kind of sauce on it. So, I fill up on things that go down easy and most of those things are very high in calories.

I just started a diet program and I need to be able to eat lean Proteins, but I also need to be able to still have that full feeling that I get with having some restrictions. Any tricks or secrets to getting these foods down?

The 2nd thing is that I just really feel freaked out by having this lapband. I really feel like I made a bad decision and did not research my options very well first. Just want some perpective from others, I am at a really low point right now, trying to lose weight, feeling terrible about myself, feeling bad that I basically wasted $12,000 on surgery...

If you are looking for support, you have to make the decision if you want it to work, or are you convinced you just don't want it.

You say you are "freaked Out" just by having it?

Out of curiosity, what were your expectations about how the band works and what you have to do to benefit from it? You mentioned you didn't do enough research, did you go through a lot of hoops for preop? I have learned a lot that way, and a lot from these boards as well. I hope everything works out for you!

Research is crucial. It keeps us from making split second decisions. As far as meat that xould very well be your restriction and maybe you just havent been listening. An "cheating" by eating slider foods.

For me to eat meat it has to be moist too but i dont use sauces because most of them are empty cals. I baked chicken closed up in aluminum foil to keep it moist. Fish is pretty easy too.

I hope you find out what works for you :)

Oops meant to say "could very well be your restriction"

With meats, I can eat dark meat chicken, pork, and fish. I can eat some steak, but usually get sick of chewing before I get full. White meat chicken and hamburger just will not go down. The meats I can eat do need to be cut into small pieces and chewed well. Please note that chewing a large bite well is not the same as chewing a small bite well. Take your time between bites to be sure it has gone down ok. Concentrate on eating your Protein foods first.

Substituting high calorie slider foods for nutritionally dense foods because they are easier to eat is not acceptable to me. If I am unable to eat ANY solid Proteins, then it is time to see my surgeon.

What do you mean by freaked out by having this Lap Band? Do you mean the fact that you have a foreign object inside you is bothering you? I can understand that. You say you didn't research your options very well, ok, can you move beyond that and start working with the choice you made? If not, what are your options now?

Do you have the ability to revise to another procedure? Is that something you even want to do? Can you work with the nutritionist at your surgeon's office, assuming you have access to one, to help you with your food plan?

I do hope you can find what will work for you.

Thanks, guys! I was pretty low yesterday, mostly feeling awful from this diet I am on and going through carb withdrawal. I am going to see a new dr tomorrow, my dr is no longer practicing. I am going to get him to do a slight unfill and see if that makes a difference with eating fish and chicken. I am trying right now to get some fish down and have to keep taking small sips of Water because I get "stuffy." Not really stuck...

I am seeing now that I am on an actual diet that is fairly strict that my band does work. I cannot eat everything they want me to eat and in the amounts they want me to eat them. A cup of veggies and 5 oz of fish inone sitting? No way!

I am going to get the lap band removed, but I am going to wait until I have lost this weight and gone through maintenence. I am not getting another type of surgery. I do not like having a foreign object in my body, it really bothers me.

Good luck to you! Sorry it didn't work out for you :(

There's no way I could eat 5 oz fish and 1 cup of veggies in one sitting. Maybe a green salad.

I hope the new doctor is able to help you out.

Feel better!

My doctor says 3 oz of solid Protein and veggies. If you can't eat 3 oz of protein with out sauce you are too tight.