Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4th Fill, Hungry And Scared

I had my 4th fill yesterday, and I was extremely hungry! I kept having liquids but my stomach was still rumbling, so I thought I'd take a small bite of solid food and I felt okay. This is freaking me out! I can feel a bit of restriction right now, but it's been a long while since my last fill so I don't remember if I was this hungry before. I'm so scared that something is wrong :( The port moved and the doctor had to find it, but he found it, and I could feel the injection into the band, but I'm feeling super paranoid!

Is this normal?

it took me 5 fills to feel real restriction - that put me to 8.5ccs in 14cc band. Also, my dr. puts me on liquids the day of and after a fill, then a day of mushies, then back to normal eating. HOWEVER the last couple fills i've been so starving that instead of "clear" liquids on day of fill i progressed to Protein Shakes (i actually told the surgeon i was going to do that one time and he said it was ok - even though he prefers Clear Liquids for day of fill). Also, within about 24 hours of a fill (maybe the evening after a fill that occurred in the morning of the previous day) i've "tested the waters" by eating some solid food. Up intil this last 5th fill i felt no consequence to eating the solids "early" following the fill - (mind you it was softer food, nothing crazy) BUT when i finally hit restriction on this 5th fill - when i ate solids after the fill (again, early - like within 24 hours of the fill) it hit my like a two by four - this "wall" of restriction. Suddenly i received major pushback from my band and it was having nothing of my quickly eaten, not thoroughly chewed food - whatever it was. It then dawned on me - holy cow - i have restriction, and overeating just is NOT happening - not anymore! BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!!target.gif

I had my 4th fill yesterday, and I was extremely hungry! I kept having liquids but my stomach was still rumbling, so I thought I'd take a small bite of solid food and I felt okay. This is freaking me out! I can feel a bit of restriction right now, but it's been a long while since my last fill so I don't remember if I was this hungry before. I'm so scared that something is wrong sad.png The port moved and the doctor had to find it, but he found it, and I could feel the injection into the band, but I'm feeling super paranoid!

Is this normal?

Fills aren't going to magically make physical hunger disappear, and feeling hungry the same day as you have a fill and are on liquids is not a good time to judge your restriction. In my experience, it can take up to 2 weeks for a fill to "kick in". No surgeon has been able to explain why, but they all agree that it happens often. The fact that you could eat a bite of solid food doesn't signify anythinkg. If you took a bite of solid food and immediately puked it up, would that make you happier? Don't go looking for trouble!

Im not clear on why you're feeling so paranoid. Are you thinking that you're so hungry because your band has slipped? Or because your band or tubing are leaking? Or what? All that is possible but not likely. The port can be difficult to access because as it settles into your abdomen and as you lose weight, the abdominal fascia will shift slightly. You say that your surgeon did manage to find your port, so why are you doubting the evidence of your own eyes (or abdomen, as the case may be)? Once again, don't go looking for trouble! It's remotely possible that your port has flipped, but if it has, I doubt your surgeon would have been able to complete that fill at all. You can request an upper GI study to check the positions of your band, tubing and port. It's remotely possible that your surgeon actually stuck the needle into your port housing or tubing. If that continues to be a concern for you, call your surgeon and talk about it. If you need to be reassured that your band has the correct amount of fill in it, your surgeon can check it by drawing it all out and measuring it (my surgeon's NP does that at every fill anyway).

In closing, I will suggest that you take a few deep breaths and will say once again: don't go looking for trouble!

Jean

I had my 4th fill yesterday, and I was extremely hungry! I kept having liquids but my stomach was still rumbling, so I thought I'd take a small bite of solid food and I felt okay. This is freaking me out! I can feel a bit of restriction right now, but it's been a long while since my last fill so I don't remember if I was this hungry before. I'm so scared that something is wrong sad.png The port moved and the doctor had to find it, but he found it, and I could feel the injection into the band, but I'm feeling super paranoid!

Is this normal?

Stomach Rumbling does not mean you are hungry.

Plus, the band does not give you a feeling of being full. It sends a message to your brain that you do not need to eat, as though you were full.

Big Difference.