Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon To Start Back Exercise??

Hey everyone! My one month bandiversary is tomorrow 1/6. I play women's tackle football and we start practice back this weekend. I was wondering how everyone did with exercise early on... How much did you do? What kinds of things? Don't worry I won't be getting hit or anything for a few months, we will just be doing a lot of conditioning (running, jumping, sit-ups, push-ups etc.) I saw my surgeon last week and forgot to ask about practice. I'll probably email him tonight, but just in case I can't get a hold of him before Saturday, What do you all think?? Thanks. :-)

Annamarie

I started back on my regular exercise at 5 weeks. it took a few weeks before I was exercising at full strength.

I walked all the time from the 1st day. I would have really freaked if I didn't keep walking!

Hmm I really hope you are ready to exercise after a month! My doctors instructions say I can start exercising as soon as I feel I'm up to it and that even the most vigorous work outs won't effect the port. Just see what you can do but take it easy obviously.

But I want to start exercising ASAP after surgery so I can start toning my body! Your young too like me so you have that on your side and should bounce back quick. Good Luck with everything!

- Stephanie

Definately ask your doctor. I was doing the treadmill on day 4 and was back to lap swimming (moderate/rigorous) for 60 minutes at two weeks.

Thanks guys! Yea, I think I'll try to take it easy tomorrow. Just a little nervous, not so much about the band, just wayyy out of shape since last season lol.

Annamarie

I had the same question because all I heard was to start working out as soon as possible so I started walking 4 days after surgery. What I was wondering was how soon do I go back to running and weights and swimming. My first appt with my doctor isn't until the 19th I'm ready to go full force I feel real good and I was banded on Dec 29th.

I have been walking but, that is about it. I am at 1 month now. Unfortunately I hurt my lower back last week. It really made me upset because I feel like it is putting me behind in my workout routine. I know I have to take an easy with my back and not rush it. The walking is helping but, I want to do a little more. I know that in time it will get better.

My doctor said I could do light weights at 2 weeks post-op and at 3 wk post-op I can go back to using my elliptical and typical weight training. It is to ensure you do open ur incisions. I am 13 days post-op & have started with my private trainer for light weights & I have been walking 1.5 miles a day for the last week! Good luck to all of you motivated fitness junkies!!

This was my question as well. I had my band a week ago, and I don't feel pain anymore, just a bit soreness when getting out of bed. I started cleaning around the house maybe 3 days after, I did feel very tired and sort of out of breath. I also want to start getting back to the gym. I just don't know how much..? I have my 1st post-op appointment Monday 1/23. I will ask and see what my doctor says and I'll let you all know :-)

Get back to walking now you will feel so much better. Your week because you really haven't eaten Protein is what you need. After my first walk 4 days after surgery I felt dizzy but I felt so good and after each walk my energy level shot through the roof. I had my first visit with my doctor today and I get my first fil on Feb. 2 and my doctor said that I am doing real good and the main reason is because I got up and got moving. If your not having no pain go ahead and get outside and start walking. I pushed it a mile my first walk and I had my husband walk with just in case but I can not say enough I feel good and I am back up to my 4/5 miles and swimming and I am 3 weeks today. Good luck and GET MOVING you will tell the difference immediately