Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about anesthesia please?

:kiss2: Hi all,

I am new, considering getting banded. I live in Boston, 5'2" and about 275# and am 50 years old. I've been doing some research but I have a really wierd question. Is it possible to get banded with local anesthesia (sp?)? I have terrible apnea and have a fear of general-like I won't wake up.

I keep thinking that women have ceasareans all the time and they are awake to see the baby, no? Have any of you ever hear of getting a local for the surgery?

Also, anyone been banded in Boston? (Sounds like a book or tv series "Banded in Boston" starring Tom Cruise and Star Jones!) LOL!

Thank you all in advance for all your help and advice. I've been reading some of the threads and you all sound great.

Love,

Diva

OOMG I was so afraid of the anesthesia. It it just nothing. Really. It is a common fear and you will be fine. What's your date? You willl have tons of good thoughts coming from LBT.

Thank you Lianna!

I know I sound like a baby! I have not decided to get banded as of yet, I'm doing a lot of research. I think I will be be getting it.

Love,

Diva

Diva,

I had the same exact fear! I just do not like the lack of control. I would not want to be awake, though, for something as big as abdominal surgery...I do not have children so I do not know about c-sections. My surgeon required that I walk into the operating room and wow I was scared when I got in there, but they had me sleeping so quickly I literally did not know what happened.

I hope your fear of anesthesia does not interfere with your decision because it really is not that bad. Honest. :)

Kelli

This surgery was the first time I've gone under after having a pre-med. I've never been given a premed before and I remember clearly the sensation of going under from previous small surgeries - it's actually rather nice, like being really really tired and just giving into sleep. Nothing to be afraid of at all. This time I remember nothing after hopping across from the trolley onto the table.

I've often wondered why it's done under general when they can deliver babies under epidural or spinal. I mean my caesarean with a very breech baby in a very high position was not gentle surgery, I was nearly shoved off the table! Perhaps its because they need to anaesthetise you to much higher up your body that they cant do it - would it be that it would paralyse your lungs and heart and therefore you have to be on a respirator to have your heart/lung function taken over artificially. Makes sense to me.

Nowadays, people just dont die on the operating table from anaesthesia. Its very very rare. Even at my relatively modest BMI of 35 when I was operated on I had way more risk of dying from complications of obesity than from the surgery. That really is true.

Wow, thank you all for answering! The apnea thing is what is getting me-about gasping during surgery. But I guess apnea is something that a lot of people who need the band suffer from. My husband says I snore so loud he can't understand why I don't wake up too.

Based on what you all are telling me, it looks like they never band under spinal or local. Anyone band in Boston? Thankyou all so much again for taking the time to answer me.

Love,

Snoring Diva

i know that my doctor has a cpap machine in the operating room. so if you have an apnea episode during the surgery they can address it. just talk to your doc about it. apnea is one of the biggest co-morbidities bandsters have, so many have travelled this road before you. good luck!

From what I can understand the reason why they can't do this with an epidural is because it (the Lap Band incisions) is too high up and can cause breathing problems.

Epidurals (for c-sections and childbirth) are administered lower in the back than what they would have to do in order to allow comfort during a Lap Band operation. I've had both a c-section and Lap Band.

I also remember that they wouldn't let me out of bed for almost 18 hours after having my daughter because of the drugs used to numb me. This is not a logical thing to do if you are having surgery at a day surgery center.

I work in a PACU at a local hospital and rest assured...EVERYONE always wakes up :) I just had PS 5 weeks ago and I had the same fear and my nurse manager took me aside and said.."Look you've work here how long and you know EVERYONE always wakes up....did you ever see anyone not wake up?" No what my answer was NO!

Jane

Thank you all! I really appreciate you all answering. The whole thing is scary. But no more scary than waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air (the cpap is hard for me I have some claustraphobia issues). I haven't been under since I got my tonsils out at age 5 (45 years ago!). You all make sense.

Love,

snorkeling, snoring Divea

Wow, thank you all for answering! The apnea thing is what is getting me-about gasping during surgery. But I guess apnea is something that a lot of people who need the band suffer from. My husband says I snore so loud he can't understand why I don't wake up too.

Based on what you all are telling me, it looks like they never band under spinal or local. Anyone band in Boston? Thankyou all so much again for taking the time to answer me.

Love,

Snoring Diva

I had the sleep study done and once they found out I had sleep apnea they told me I would be on it for the surgery? I thought everyone that had it was operated on wearing the nose mask. It's sure going to make me feel better knowing I'm going under and on C-pap.