Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned with Effectiveness

I am pre-band and am looking very closely at getting banded in early May. Almost everything I have been seeing about risks and recovery is possitive in my mind. I'm still deciding on paying big bucks out of pocket for a local doc or less money for either Mexico or India.

However, I have a major concern. I've noticed some VERY mixed results in looking at signature blocks. Some people are lossing at way more than 2 lbs per week and some are lossing less than 1 a week over a long period of time. Therefore it's raised several questions.

I know there are two major brands of bands. Has one been found be more effective?

How much does the placement by the Dr. determine the effectiveness of the band?

I know that the band is a tool that I have to "USE" and that it can be made ineffective by my choices.

Basically, is ineffectiveness solely do to bad choices? If not, what other factors should I be aware of.

What other factors should you be aware of? Your own metabolism and health, for one thing. Your personal behaviors, for another. The band will not do anything all by itself; YOU are responsible for seeing that you allow it to consistently lessen your caloric intake. I don't believe there is any difference in results between the brands of bands; they are designed to do the same exact thing.

That's not to say that there can't be problems, of course. But for the most part, people who get timely adjustments and eat sensibly and within band guidelines as much as possible will lose weight at a moderate pace for them. People lose at different paces: Heavier people lose more quickly than lighter ones, men lose more quickly than women, people without metabolic disorders or medication issues may lose faster than those with.

Nothing is a sure thing, and I don't think it's worth worrying about every tiny little factor that other people have to contend with. What are YOUR issues, and YOUR concerns? Have you examined your eating behaviors and determined whether the band can help?

Hi NWMarc

I am one of the ones that isn't losing, but I have a metabolic disorder called Cushing's, which is very rare, like 15 to 25 in a million.

The band choice you make should be one well researched. I went to mexico, have the french midband, and have had really good results. However, aftercare in the US is nonexistent for me. I am finally at a point where I need a first fill, so I am going to have to go back to Tijuana. Aftercare is VERY important to consider. If you are one of the bandsters that need several fills to hit the "sweet spot" you may have to plan several out of the country trips if you use anything other than the inamed lapband. Research carefully and make your decision fully informed. I fully agree with Alexandra regarding personal issues. The band will help you, but you have to use in the way in which it was intended to maximize results.

I agree with Alex. I love my band. It is just a tool, however. It is hard work. I have lost 52 pounds. I didn't loose a pound for three weeks and got really discouraged, but finally got over the plateau. Followup care is very improtant.

Hi Vinesqueen,

This is exactly what I wanted to know(not specifically from you). There are other factors that need to be known. Issues such as yours and thyroid problems can affect the overall effectiveness. And the patient needs to know about them.

I haven't seen anyone write; "I got the XYZ band and now I've found out that hardly anyone is being effective with that band." or "Dr. Whoever did my band and now I'm finding that he/she puts them too low and very few of his/her patients are being successful."

Thank you.

Hi NWMarc

I am one of the ones that isn't losing, but I have a metabolic disorder called Cushing's, which is very rare, like 15 to 25 in a million.

Hi PamPN,

(OK. No jokes here. Although I did have a bunch about "french" band going through my head.)

I'm glad you are being successful. I'm not surprissed by nonexistent aftercare in the US. It seems even with the FDA approved band that getting aftercare from a Dr. other than the one who "installed" the band can be more painfull than getting the fill itself. Not impossible, just not easy. I'm considering Mexico and India but I believe both practices use the FDA approved band.

Thank you,

The band choice you make should be one well researched. I went to mexico, have the french midband, and have had really good results. However, aftercare in the US is nonexistent for me. I am finally at a point where I need a first fill, so I am going to have to go back to Tijuana. Aftercare is VERY important to consider. If you are one of the bandsters that need several fills to hit the "sweet spot" you may have to plan several out of the country trips if you use anything other than the inamed lapband. Research carefully and make your decision fully informed. I fully agree with Alexandra regarding personal issues. The band will help you, but you have to use in the way in which it was intended to maximize results.

NWMarc, whatever issues might affect weight loss in an individual are issues that will have to be faced whether the person has a band or not. The band does nothing to change anyone's underlying metabolism or medical conditions. It only makes it easier to eat less. So if you know and understand your own health, you can make a considered and informed decision as to whether cutting calories will help you lose weight. To beat a dead horse, the band is just a tool to help us cut calories. 'Taint magic.