Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enough Is Enough ......

I've gotten stuck a bunch of times. I am definitely in agreement that it helps remind me to slow down. I also follow my doctors rules but that does not mean you are not going to get stuck. There are certain things for me that I have trouble eating. I can not eat chicken breast. It is way too dry and even if I take tiny bites or eat super slowly it gets stuck. This is just me. eggs are the same way. I have to avoid them. Everyone is different. It also depends on how tight your band is. For me stress and hormones also play a roll in how tight my band is on a certain day. I also can not eat in the morning. I make a Protein Shake for Breakfast everyday. I guess I'm just saying that everyone's experience with the band is so different you never know what might make you stuck.

Speaking only for myself, I was THRILLED when it started to happen. BRING IT ON! I welcomed it. After all, I had surgery to STOP me from eating. So instead of dreading the restriction and getting stuck, I learned how to eat differently, and learned what foods to avoid.

I have been stuck more times that I can count, or remember. It was my school of hard knocks! I could have ran to the Dr. to get unfilled, but where would that have put me?

Instead I was careful like walking on eggshells until things began to change.

It has made all the difference in the world!

But then, That's just Me! Seems like everyone here does things differently.

Want to know how hard headed (stupid) I am???

Shortly after I posted this, I went in the fridge to find something for lunch.

A LEFTOVER PORK CHOP! W.T.H was I thinking!

Guess what? I GOT STUCK!!! Started to hiccup, (knew I was in trouble then), slime began building up, stood over the bathroom sink and with one good hiccup......up it came!

(I feel much better now)

LOL

Been there done that.

For those who have never been stuck think yourself lucky, just don't think it is because you are following your Dr's rules. Most of us do that and it doesn't stop stuck episodes. The foods that Dr's recommend are actually the ones that are more likely to cause problems than the unhealthy, fattening foods that shouldn't be eaten on a regular basis.

I have been stuck on chicken, fish, watermelon, Tomato, lettuce etc.

The mistake most people make is that when they get stuck on something they then cut it out of their diets and end up living on a very small range of food. I still eat everything regardless of if it has given me a problem before. Restriction is not about restricting the type of foods that you can eat, it is about feeling satisfied on smaller portions.

If Papaya works for you then again count yourself as being lucky. I have tried and it does nothing for me.Generally the best option when you are stuck is to try to bring the offending item back up - that will give you relief from the discomfort which could otherwise go on for hours. If I have a really bad stuck episode I suck on crushed ice, it helps to reduce the swelling and seems to speed things along.

Good luck with finding out what works for you.

yes chest pain and it makes me short of breath... whatever I am eating at that point the dogs get since either I am full or it is doesn't agree with my band.

I have gotten stuck a few times, and it is usually from trying to eat too fast. You start to figure out what you can process easily and what you can't. I cannot eat bread on its own, but I can tolerate it as a sandwich. chicken breast is the devil for me and so are scrambled eggs (boiled, poached, over-easy are all fine). Sometimes it doesn't matter how well you chew it or how slowly you eat it, some foods will just be trouble. I will always re-try foods that I have had trouble with in the past just to make sure I wasn't eating too fast. But yeah, the hiccups, the tightness, they are definite symptoms. I have never tried the papaya thing, but Water certainly does NOT work for me....jumping up and down doesn't either. I have just had to suffer a few long periods of time for it to pass, or been able to let it come back up (sometimes it won't). Fear of it happening should only make you eat carefully, but not limit the healthy ranges of foods we should be eating to get good nutrients into our bodies.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches