Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Told A Big Old Lie

Unfortunate for me....the nosiest busybody in our office, who has to know what's going on with everyone all the time.....is stuck up our boss' butt :confused:.

Therefore....I tell my boss, she tells her "self appointed assistant", everyone knows. Several years ago my husband got a DUI, truck impounded, attorney visits, the whole thing. I had to tell my boss (who was not the same as I have now) because I had all these appointments. I came right out and asked her NOT to tell anyone. To this day, I don't think she ever did.

First of all, one word......

HIPPA

No one needs to know about your leave except you and your DR. as to why you are taking leave. All that needs to be documented is that you are having surgery and how long you need to be out. Not what kind, or for what. HIPPA protects you from the nosey busy-bodies out there, that seem to think they need to know everything about everyone else.

If HIPPA is violated your talking major law suite.

I only wish I could go back and say I was only having just surgery.

I havn't lost like the normal RNY'ers at work, so being my weight loss has been slower, I worry what everyone thinks. Like am I a failure.

I know I shouldn't worry what everyone else thinks, but thats just me.

Good luck.

Schel

Hi There,

You are not alone...You are protected by the government...HIPPA protects you in this case. All your medical information is confidential and protected by law. You do not need to tell anyone what you do or don't do. If that is what you had to do to get time off work (don't sweat it.) It is my experience that people at work are rarely happy over these things...The ulcer story probably will get you more sympathy than the weightloss one..... I also used the ulcer/hernia story..... and it has worked wonders..... I had my surgery 10/13/05 and I've lost 53 pounds...and my husband's family is like "that ulcer operation" got you of on ther right foot...and I just smile..and say don't hate the player baby..hate the game :0) Good Luck...

Me, I told my mother, a health care professional. She then blabbed to my aunt, some waitress, and her own doctor. Thanks, Mom. :confused:

My mother was visiting us the day I found out there was a way to get the money to get banded. Within minutes she was on her cell phone chatting with a friend, and to my dismay I hear my dear mother telling her friend that I was going to have weight loss surgery. I fussed at her a bit, trying to be nice about it, but within minutes she was telling someone else! Ack!

I can't complain too much though. I've been banded 6 weeks now, and last weekend I proudly told a complete stranger in the grocery store that I have the lapband. LOL

I have not told any of my family except my mom and my husband. I know what my brother will say if I tell him,"You just took the easy way out."

I have not had the procedure yet but I am going in on the 22 to schedule it. My husband and I attended a seminar yesterday. That is what my doctor requires you to do before even scheduling an appointment with him. So, I think I am ready. But don't worry, I am not telling anyone, unless I have to.

I wish I could "untell" my mom and brother. Maybe if I told them now, that I decided against in, they would forget and then when I hav ethe surgery in a few months they won't remember.

I feel so icky and sneaky - but my Mom especially, she might as well call the local news to save her time in telling everyone.

My family is just judgmental sometimes. My mom has NEVER been as overwight as I am now. She has maybe ever carried 50 extra lbs. of weight and at the ripe old age of 58 was falling apart medically. Diabetes High BP High Cholesterol blah blah blah. Same with my daddy. But since were all nurses I casually mentioned an article I read about the band in professional conversation and I knew I couldnt tell her until a hundred pounds and a belly button ring after the surgery. I say just protect your dreams which means any dreamkillers dont need to know !

I told my boss that i was going into hospital for minor surgery and nothing else ....

its 100% personal and nothing to do with them. I even took the time off out of my personal holidays rather than sick time.

Don't feel you need to lie ...

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing when I asked off from work. What made it worse was that my boss is soooo nice and caring. I felt so guilty. But I had to keep it to myself, because this is a very personal journey and even the nicest of people would not understand.

Don't feel bad. You had to do it....

I am having a hernia repaired at the same time....so that is all I told my co-workers (who had to know in order to cover my clinics)...I am a nurse midwife. One of my friends had this done a few months ago, and she regrets having told so many from the comments she has received. I have only told a very few close family members and friends. Who knows...I may tell them all down the road...but for now...I dont think it is anyone's business but mine. Don't feel bad!!!

stomach surgery ...not a lie......

i told every one but my sister is having it too and family is very supportive. I just wish my mom would stop telling EVERYONE........every waitress...." tell her why you are ordering that...." shut up mom she didnt ask

gotta love em

I took only a half day off of work on a fri, I told them I needed it for a precdure. Okay, fine, great!! I get to work monday morning and I look Bad I should have taken more time off but did not and there is no one ot replace me. So I get up early because I was walking so slow and hurting. I could not take anything for pain beacuse I have to drive. Go to work and I am a estate Manager for two Dr's who would never understand me doing this!! They take one look at me and ask if I had am abortion!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am there chilerens Nanny also!!!!!!!!! I told then no and then lied that I had a Gall Bladder problem.

:mad:

I did not now what else to say, but I am glad I did nto tell them. I ahve lost 40 LBS so far and they have not said one word.. But I feel better I already live in a house on the Estate and I really need to have a life of my own. my hole family know and BF But it's hard on them somtimes they think it was the easy way out and my sister is very scared I wil weigh less then her someday! if it's just one LBS for one day I would be happy, not to hurt her just to know what it's like....