Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Addiction And Emotional Eating: How Have You Coped After Being Lap Banded?

So I'm sure that many can relate when I say I feel as though I have an eating problem, maybe even a slight addiction. I know my triggers and I know my likely times in which I am more apt to overeat, however, I've yet to go to my psych evaluation (next week teeth_smile.gif) So I'm wondering for all those who know what its like to be reliant on food for more than just hunger, explain to me please how you've coped with or broken your negative eating habits, food addictions and or emotional eating problems.

Thank you!

Yesterday, I posted a blog about the similarities between quitting smoking and overcoming food addiction. I haven't been banded for long, but I have learned that my fears weren't true.

I can go out to a restaurant and enjoy myself with friends. (I ordered an appetizer, ate slowly, chewed well, chatted with my friends and finished my food at approximately the same time as my companions.)

I had a great Thanksgiving meal - small and satisfying portions and half of a slice of cheesecake. (I wasn't overstuffed and miserable afterwards.)

I went to an amusement park without snacking on junk all day and still had a great time. I had kids meals and saved lots of $$$$$ at Disney.

Sounds like a really good (anxiety free) time laugh.png. I'm working now (before surgery) at learning how to eat like a bander so that once I am banded it won't be so new to me.

I've worked really hard at recognizing the difference between actual hunger and head hunger. I started working on this during the pre-opt diet. I'm still not perfect at it, but when I want to eat something, I stop and examine the feeling. Is it time to eat? Am I really hungry or just bored, emotional, etc. If I think it is head hunger, I have a Water with raspberry Crystal Light. It is sweet and satisfying. Then because I had Water, I have to wait to eat anyway. In the evenings, or on weekends when I can't get out - I spend time on the computer or doing something else with my hands.

I still have the emotional eating issues, and it remains to be seen if I can beat them or one day they will get the best of me. For this I keep a baggie of Hershey's Kisses in the freezer. If I am having an emotional eating breakdown, or just a nagging urge for sweet, I take 2 kisses out from the freezer and let them melt in my mouth. Usually resolves the problem. I got this idea from an experienced bandster, but do not remember who.

Best of luck.

Great question. For me it requires daily discipline and a renewed dedication to my own well being. I had to learn the difference between 'hungry' and 'fear of becoming hungry'. I had to learn to identify the difference between 'hunger' and 'NOT hunger'.

I had to ask for help from a greater power. I had to choose between what was (literally) killing me a mouthful at a time, and how to train my Belly Beasts to take directions from my Brain.

I had to choose between going blind due to diabetic retinopathy, or change my life style.

I had failed at dieting for over 40 years, as everything I did produced a final weight of 373#.

While I was able to trim down from that preOp, I remained on insulin injections twice daily. Try controlling your weight doing that.

Banded in 2004, I remain "35# from my goal", but no insulin shots after 15 years on the needle and no CPAP after 10 on the nose hose.

We all have choices, and have to learn how to walk our own path.

Cheers on your journey.

I'm a food addict. and I know it more now, then I ever did before.

I had to go in for a unfill 1/2 was taken out.

I need to get a fill because I am starving "IN MY HEAD !" 24 hrs. a day...

That's a real struggle.

I'm going to call tomorrow, and see if I can get in before or after Christmas. ASAP.

When it's a addiction, and it's in front of you for ever. Well,,, it makes it a Hell of a lot harder,

to stay on track.