Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Coach Support Required For My Lap Band Surgery

Well I have qualchoice here in Arkansas and they require that I work with care wise prior to surgery. My dietician called me today and told me I have to be with them for 6 months to prepare me for surgery and after. It's really not a bad idea she says that a lot of insurance agencies don't have any requirements and the patients go head in and don't get all the support they need. It's mandatory as well I can still go to the surgeons office and stuff get that ready. It wouldn't be till June booooooo but I would have plenty of information by than.

what may seem disappointing now, may just turn into a plus in the long run.

If you begin eating as though you are already banded (as much as possible), you'll be ahead of things when you're ready for surgery.

I was thinking about that too. Lets see if I can do this.

Thanks for the support

I had to do 6 months also, now I'm down to my last month. I can tell you that it went very quickly. During the last 5 months, I learned how, what and what not to eat once banded. This has really been a learning experience for me. I think that all that I've learned will help me be successful in my journey to a thinner me. Utilize this time to learn as much as you can. Good luck to you on your journey.

I agree with the rest. in the beginning we are in such a hurry, afterwards we have so many questions. you will have so many things answered, plus you will have a head start on weight loss.

I think you have a great insurance group who want to see you succeed!

I had a six month requirement too that seemed overwhelming in the beginning, but I was glad for the time to emotionally get ready. If I would have rushed the process I don't think I would have done the mental work that prepared me for the harder days. 2 months post-op I couldn't be happier and I know all the pre-work made it possible. Good luck in your journey!

I also have a 6 months requirement and at first I was sad but I'm sooo happy that I have to do it. I've cut out all soda from my diet and I've lost 7 pounds in a month which my nutritionist thinks is awesome especially since I haven't been able to exercise much lately. I'm almost done with month 2 and I have 4 more months to go. Hang in there and you'll be happy that it is required. I have a friend that decided to have lap band then two months later had it done and it never worked because she ate and drank whatever and they actually had to remove it because she stretched out her pouch over the band and her surgeon said she wasn't ready and refuses to do surgery on her again. She wished her insurance required it. You'll feel sooo much better that you had to do it :) good luck

I feel so much better after reading everyone's response. I feel a lot more confident as well. I had a tough question on my mind today. I was wondering should I wait to get pregnant or do so before? Any thoughts?

I believe there is a pregnancy forum here at LBT. Check with your surgeon how far past pregnancy you'd have to be to have surgery, including breast feeding if you plan to do so. There are lots of band babies around, but don't plan to lose weight while preggers.

As to the 6 month thing. Many insurance co's require it. Mine did. I was denied a consult at first because of it. I appealed with Weight Watchers records. Won the appeal, then it still took 6 months for other testing and the psychologist (who took 2 months to write a letter!) to get done, then the insurance approval before I had a surgery date. So, you can accomplish some things during the 6 months! Don't let it be time wasted.