Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfill before going out of town?

I'm going out of town on business to Florida on Thursday. Since I live in Utah and it's a very dry climate here and Florida is quite humid, I'm wondering if I should get an unfill before I go so I don't retain Water like a water buffalo and end up not being able to swallow my own spit. If so, how much should I get unfilled? Anyone have experience with this?

Puddinpie - I live in Florida and would NOT advise unfilling. It's not humid right now at all (quite dry in fact). The humidity won't kick in for a couple months.

Have a safe trip!

Mithow

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and got a bit of an unfill (to 1.6cc's) just for peace of mind. I'll just have to be careful about what I eat. I'm only going to be there until Saturday.

Why not just drink enough??? I'd never advise getting an unfill for a reason like this. Not if you're serious about your weight loss. Now, Remember you can't simply jump right back up to your old level. Every unfill changes things a lot. After my unfill for reflux, it took me 4 fills to get even close to where i was before, and a dop more gives me reflux.

The less foolling around you do with a fill, the better. Renee

What does drinking enough have to do with Water retention when you go out of town? In my experience, any time I've had a significant amount of difference in the amount of sun exposure I get I retain Water to the point where I can't even fit in my shoes. I had good restriction; for me that would probably mean closing right up with a lot of sun. I'm glad I got the unfill. I probably ate around the same amount. After talking with my nurse she actually recommended a slight unfill. I'd rather have slower weight loss for a couple of weeks than I would a trip to the emergency room because I can't swallow my own spit.

I'm just about back to where I was before I got the unfill and my portion sizes have not changed from pre-unfill. I'm leaving town again on March 5 (again to a place with lots of sun) and I'm staying with my current fill (of 2.0) until I get back.

Here's a quote from the Inamed's Lap-Band Data Sheet:

94163_04_LB_Product_Data_Sheet.pdf

Elective deflation of the band is advisable in the

following situations:

• Pregnancy

• Significant concurrent illness

• General anaesthesia

• Remote Travel

• Travel to areas where food or Water contamination is endemic

I've actually been wondering about this for quite a while as my wife wants to force me into a trip to the UK this year. Has anyone done extended air travel and had to have an unfill?

I plan on asking her surgeon next time we see him, but I'd be interested to hear what everyone else has learned.

:couch2:

I travel extensively in the US and yes, I have experienced tightening of my bands due to elevations in altitude. I'm not sure, however, that I would get an unfill due to that temporary circumstance.

EVERY time I fly I am wayyyyyyyy tight. But within an hour after landing I am all good. But for anything longer than a 4 hour flight, I start to get nausea with my spit. I have no idea how banded flight attendants do it!

EVERY time I fly I am wayyyyyyyy tight. But within an hour after landing I am all good. But for anything longer than a 4 hour flight, I start to get nausea with my spit. I have no idea how banded flight attendants do it!

Yeah, thats kind of what is concerning me. The flight from the UK to the west coast is 10 or 11 hours.

WHen I fly I retain water.. when I retained Water while I had my band I was definately tighter...for me different climates and elevations always affected my tightness with my band..vacation is a time for enjoyment not to me miserable..if you are concerned, then I'd call your Dr. and discuss your concerns with him...you may not need a complete unfil, maybe just a slight unfill? Good Luck :couch2: