Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged after surgery

Okay, I hate to be a kill joy here... but I am beyond frustrated! I have only lost 4 pounds and I have not had a single bite of real food since Feb 1st... What's up with that? Am I the only bandster that feels discouraged at this stage of the game... when does all of the food restriction and weight loss begin????? I am really anxious to see the results of my LIFE CHANGING Decision!!!!

If you haven't had anything solid since the first of Feb, then I will guess you are about 2 weeks out from surgery??

If that is the case then you are still healing. This is not the time to be losing weight, it's time to heal. Don't expect to lose weight until after your first fill. I've been there and my hubby is at that point right now between being banded and getting his first fill. I know it's frustrating.

We have all been there. Stay away from the scales, they lie! ;) Remember long term weight loss, you didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks, you need to be fair to the band and give it time to work AFTER a fill.

Best wishes..

Are you getting enough fluids. I really lost alot more after I was monitoring the fluids I got . When I increased the weight fell off. Your body goes into a panic mode and tries to retain all of everything to survive.

Hoping this helps.

Paula

I didn't lose initially, in fact when I started mushy foods, I regained about 4 pounds. What the others are saying about starvation mode and fluids is true. Heal first, get your fluids in, and don't look for weight loss until you've resumed a more normal diet. After a month I slowly started dropping weight, and now I'm down 94#...some only start losing after they've gotten filled, some lose without fill. Don't be discouraged, you are progressing normally, it's part of the process.

Everyone is so different....It's too early for you to get discouraged. I for one noticed that I loss more when I stay around 1200 calories. When I was filled to tight and only getting in @ 800 calories I actually gained weight. Go Figure!!! Hang in there follow your doctors orders and it will get better.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am just saying that I have been without "chewing" food since February 2nd and I would have thought after having Three Squares and many, many, many Snacks every day for the last 38 years.... the difference in intake would have just caused the weight to fall off!!!! I have also read many posts where people say that they are down almost 15 pounds after surgery... this has not been the case for me. So when I say I am discouraged, I guess it would be better to say that I am REALLY READY to start on my weight loss journey!!!!! I was banded on 2/3 so I am two weeks away from my first fill... and at this point I think I am ready for it. The liquid stage is growing boring!

Wannabelean~ Congrats on getting banded and please think about that right now your band is missing a very important part...A FILL! Until you are properly filled your band isn't woking as well as it could be. All the liquid you are doing is going straight through your band.Also your body is in shock right now ...it is use to you eating and when your not your body freaks out and starts storing whatever it can.Be patient the weight loss will come soon enough! It will take a while so sit down buckle up and enjoy the ride!!! At times the ride could be slow and at times it could be fast but slow and steady wins the race!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!!

What kind of fluids are you having and are you exercising? After my surgery I only had Water for 6 days as I wasn't hungry. (I wouldn't recommend this as I ended up being dizzy) I also walked 1 - 2 miles a day, everyday. Keeping busy helped and the exercise did too. Make sure you're intaking low calorie/card fluids. Hang in there and it WILL WORK for you. I'm 3 weeks post surgery and have lost 22 lbs since I started my presurgery liquid diet. I think exercise had a LOT to do with it.

Good luck.

Jenn

Hi all,

I'm pre-band here but one thing I have noticed is that those who are not eating very much are also not losing very much. I'm of the firm belief that you have to eat to keep your metabolism revved up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches