Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we allow temptation?

Maybe we should always assume everyone is always joking, unless directly informed otherwise? Seriously, folks, comments about spelling on message boards are ALWAYS said in good will and jest.

It's clear that even spelling corrections can be taken more personally than they're meant. So let's all step back and take a deep breath.

If the thread-starter so requests, this thread can be locked. :)

What I have learned from Bandsters is that unless you are ready to make this work, you will find ways to eat around the band. A lot of people get the band, and other wls, expecting it to do the work for them.

This is a tool people!! Not a fix. I am ready to do the work. I want to work hard. And I know the band is going to help me from falling off the wagon. But I also know that keeping bad foods around me, even for the sake of my family, will turn me into a failure. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that we hold our own destiny? We have responsibility to ourselves. Get the crap out of the house. Don't make Cookies for the kids. Don't buy hot dogs and chips for your spouse. And throw out the old stuff in the fridge and freezer. Why are you going to go through such a huge surgery, such a life changing moment for you, and then make excuses as to why you need to keep eating crap??

I know...We are fat. Yeah we are! Why in the hell did you get the band if you were going to continue to fail yourself? Is it so you have something to blame? "I just can't lose...I even got the band and it didn't help" This obviously does not include those with true problems with their metabolism. This goes for whoever it is that ate a tub of cookie dough. Whoever it is that drinks shakes and eats pudding by the gallon to get around the band. Whoever eats the junk that was bought at the store because they wanted to placate a spouse and family who is not willing to make the sacrifice for your health.

Sorry. I know this is a big rant. But it makes me sad to see people struggling. I am taking this plunge with hope for my future. And I hope for everyone else's future. I yell because I care. LOL :)

Maybe we should always assume everyone is always joking, unless directly informed otherwise? Seriously, folks, comments about spelling on message boards are ALWAYS said in good will and jest.

It's clear that even spelling corrections can be taken more personally than they're meant. So let's all step back and take a deep breath.

If the thread-starter so requests, this thread can be locked. :)

I don't request that this be locked. It's just that I've been feeling somewhat singled out on this spelling thing as it is following me thread to thread.

So its a senstive spot for me. I think I write relatively clearly even with an occasional spelling mistake.

I'm not trying to throw a hissy fit here.

Nor do I hold a grudge.

Lets just move on and I'll try and maintain a better level of humor.

Donali, I'm sorry. Truly. My feelings are so raw today.

I took it out on you and I shouldn't have. I was told earlier today that people are calling us smug, condescending, judgemental, and so forth and this hasn't been our intention at all. Most of our posts have been written with a happy and encouraging spirit but have been taken wrong.

When I saw your post, and honsetly, Alex's laughing afterwards, I took it all wrong. I am sorry. You've never posted anything petty. In fact, of all the people I've seen posting here your comments are the most mature and kind. And I'm sure I've complimented you on that before. Petty is the word on my mind today that fits all of the other digs that people are making at us. It doesn't apply to you. I hope you accept my apology.

Sincerely, Susan

I think I write relatively clearly even with an occasional spelling mistake.

Dawg, you write clearly and well. I would never be so foolish as to try to make such an obviously intelligent person look dumb.

I honestly was ribbing you--everytime.

I apologise. I won't do it again.

Dawg, you write clearly and well. I would never be so foolish as to try to make such an obviously intelligent person look dumb.

I honestly was ribbing you--everytime.

I apologise. I won't do it again.

Thanks Kare, apology fully accepted.

I'm a strange geezer. I'm a bit of a head case. That which I laugh about today, kicks me in the cojonez of life tomorrow.

Can't explain it.

Don't tread on eggshells. If people start to bother me off in future. I shall give them a PM to let them know that the volcano may be about to erupt.

I didn't adequately communicate that this was starting to bother me. I will do so in future.

Susan, gracious of you to apologize. I certainly didn't mean anything other than I thought Donali's post was funny. Nothing personal or petty about it.

Most of our posts have been written with a happy and encouraging spirit but have been taken wrong.

We all know how that feels. :hug:

Now, my thoughts on the topic at hand are as follows:

When I have been on diets in the past, the reason I "allow temptation" is that I completely resent being left out, being different, being separate from the rest of the world. My brother was allowed to have Yodels and RingDings in the past, but not I, so I'd spend dessert time sitting at the table resenting the hell out of the world. Later on in life, having access to "forbidden" foods was a way of lashing out at the world that "forbids" me to have them.

Now they're no longer the temptation they once were, and so I can have them around and be able to resist their charms more easily. Perhaps that's an effect of being banded, or just growing older. Who knows? But I don't live alone, and clearing my house of tempting foods would just show me once again that I'm different, I'm defective, I'm not allowed, I'm not worthy of these treats. Well, the hell with that.

The focus has shifted, inside me. If I care about myself and my health, I simply won't overindulge in crap that makes me feel like, well, crap. It doesn't matter if it's in the house or in the store, if I want to stay away from it I will. And if I don't... :biggrin1:

Going back to the original post, about not keeping "bad" foods in the house; I don't keep "bad" foods in the house, mostly because I'm not really attracted or drawn to junk foods. Sure, I enjoy a few chips (not alot, but a handful) with a sandwich, and I enjoy cake from time to time, but I don't go and binge on these foods. Now, I'm planning on still eating chips and cake in extreme moderation after I get the band. I'm hoping the band will help me to eat smaller portions of things (I tend to take large portions because I'm hungry alot). I can currently put a handful of chips on my plate and eat them with a sandwich, and then eat no more, without having a problem. I can also eat one piece of cake with no problem. When I do eat fast food, it's a child's meal. The foods I tend to over-eat are healthy, normal foods: whole-grain Cereal, lean Proteins like chicken breast, Beans, etc. The reason I overeat is because my stomach seems to have a limitless capacity and I am hungry frequently. So for me, I do plan on eating "bad" foods in moderation after the band. However, I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder. Now, for those that do feel they have an eating disorder (binging, inability to stop eating a "bad" food once they start, etc), I will share with you a sign I saw posted in my doctor's office just two days ago. It had tips for getting weight loss back on track like increase your Water, etc. Now, one of the tips was (I'm paraphrasing here) "Go Cold Turkey: some studies have shown that completely elimating a certain "trigger food" can be better than having small tastes of it. By completely eliminating a certain food, you will eventually lose your taste for that food." So, that would definitely support Dawg's opinion. I think it's really all so individual. What works for one person might not work for another and vice versa. People should decide what's best for them and then stick to that plan. It's just like medicines; what works for one person might not work for another, so we have to stick with what works for us as individuals.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">When I started eating better, I realized how much more energy I had & how I was an all around a happier person!! :) I realized that my family had all fallen into the same trap that I did. It was my fault because I was making the meals & buying all the food. I DO NOT KEEP THE JUNK IN MY HOUSE ANYMORE!! :) If the bad food isn't good for me, it isn't good for my family either.

I 100% agree with Delarla & also Photonut who said that food is tied in with family & memories. We all want to sit down to a good meal & enjoy each other!! My family still does. There is no way I could eat somewhere other then with my family. I make the same food, only healthier. We all eat macaroni & cheese. I always serve a salad & green beens. However, the REAL JUNK like cheetos & Gummy bears are OUT!!

I have decided that Fridays are FREE NIGHTS! :hungry: We all (myself included) get to choose one junk food that we want to eat while we watch our movie. I specifically go to the store & buy the requested junk & it is eaten & gone before the night is over. (NOT STORED IN THE HOUSE!) It has never sabotaged my weight at all & I don't feel deprived.

Moderation in all things!!!! It really does work, even with junk food!

Thanks for starting this thread Dawg! It's been very entertaining!! :clap2:

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey fridays are our free nights too. LOL I think it is a good way to allow yourself a little something, in an amount that cannot hurt you or your weight loss, and will tide you over for the time being.

I was just telling someone about the move we have comng up. A new house, to go along with our new life. And it also will have new rules. No red meat. And most of our meals will come from our fishing trips to the pier that is 1 mile away. As a family we will walk to that pier every weekend, and fish together. Excersize, free food for the week, and time together. I told DH if he does not becomeagood fisherman his family will starve. :) That fish will taste so much sweeter knowing that we caught it as a family, and enjoyed doing it all together. That will be my new food obsession. The family will also beplanting a veggiegarden in the backyard, and we will grow some of our food as well, and take to the saturday market to exchange with other people doing the same. This will be the family's new food obession. It is so much healthier than having sugary cereals, cookie dough, cake and ice cream, Pasta, etc in the house. And the food means so much more.