Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edema In Both Of My Lower Legs After Having 1 Cc Of Fluid Taken Out

I had my band surgery a little over 2 years ago and have been quite successful with losing the weight, i have lost 167 pds to date. My last fill was in March of this year and i am always monitoring my weight as i was getting close to being 'too' thin and was having problems putting the weight back on.

Last week i went to my doctor and asked to have some Fluid taken out of my lap band, so i had 1 cc of fluid removed, i was at 7.2 and now at 6.2. In the course of a week i have now gained 20 pounds, in Water weight, as both of my lower legs have severe edema. Has anybody else had this issue and if so, what is causing it? I have gone to my doctors to have blood tests and so far everything is showing ok..........

I have been banded 1 year today and am down 148 lbs. I carry alot of weight in my legs so there is alot of Water weight. I never had it removed. (didnt know you could actually) However if I eat salty things or do not drink enough water I can feel the water building back up. Maybe thats your situation as well.

Go to your doctor! This might not be related to your band...

I have been banded 1 year today and am down 148 lbs. I carry alot of weight in my legs so there is alot of Water weight. I never had it removed. (didnt know you could actually) However if I eat salty things or do not drink enough water I can feel the water building back up. Maybe thats your situation as well.

WOW congrats I am 2 months post op have lost 23 pounds hope I am as successful as u are congrats again. Any advice on how to achieve my goal I just had my second fill two days ago I have 5cc in my 10 cc band but I still don't feel restriction.

I haven't had the band yet and I have severe edema in my ankles. Its so bad...my ankles get absolutely huge so they prescribed me compression stockings and diagnosed me with "Lymphedema" Now I'm not sure if its what you have but...it has something to do with the lyph nodes in my legs. The compression stockings work well...You put them on in the morning and it keeps the swelling down all day...gradually after about 2 months time it went down to almost nothing. I also have been loosing weight, so that is probably helping too...but I was told this may or may not go away after I loose the weight...as they usually say with everything else wrong with me. (Asthma, sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure)

So this is starting to make me think the same thing will happen to me too...did you have this before you lost the weight? If not, then you should def. show them to your doctor and see what they can do for you!

Also I do believe it has something to do with my salt intake.

WOW congrats I am 2 months post op have lost 23 pounds hope I am as successful as u are congrats again. Any advice on how to achieve my goal I just had my second fill two days ago I have 5cc in my 10 cc band but I still don't feel restriction.

Sounds like you are doing everything right! Before you feel good restriction is the toughest time and quite honestly you need to find every ounce of will power you have to "diet". By diet I mean follow your Drs orders to the letter. Mine recommends 4 oz of Protein, 1/2 c of veggies and 1/4 c of starch for every meal. Snacking should be limited and if needed you need to nosh on low calorie foods in minimal portions. I stuck to 1000 calories per day (yes even at over 300 lbs) and tracked everything I ate on a smart phone ap. I drank more Water than I have in my whole life and made sure to visit the Dr every month for weigh ins and adjustments. I had 4 fills before I got to the green zone I seem to recall.

Best of luck to you! I am sure you will be just fine!

after 2 weeks, i still have edema in my lower legs, the bizarre thing is, i have had fills and unfills before and never had this happen. i did have 1 cc removed and so i am able to eat more, but i haven't changed the things i am eating and have always watched what i eat. I have had Iron test, Protein, liver, kidney, Vitamin D, potassium tests and all have come back ok, so i am not deficient in anything. My doctor thinks it has to do with my salt in take for what ever reason, but the bizarre thing is, my co worker had an adjustment from the same doctor 2 days after me, and she too is experiencing edema in her hands and feet too. I have gained about 20 pounds in the 2 week and this just doesn't make sense to me, i have been losing weight for the last 2 years and although i was a bit under weight, the weight i have put on appears to be Water weight and im not very comfortable.

I do wear compression socks and sleep with my legs up and every morning everything goes back to normal and then once i get moving and go work out they swell up again..............just trying to make sense of this all