Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding A New Lap Band Fill Doctor Close To Home

I have seen that some doctors do not want to take on patients who have had their surgery in Mexico. Is the same true for patients who have their procedure done in another state? I currently live in Maryland but i am planning of having my surgery done in Florida (I'm going to have the band with plication and there aren't many US doctors that are preforming it, the one in Florida was the most convenient for me), will I have problems finding a local doctor for fills and aftercare?

Michelle

Most doctors like to be responsible for their own work. Surgeons even more so. WLS done by one doctor is not

very likely to be well recieved by another. If there is a life threatening problem, then that's different. Almost any

surgeon skilled in that type of proceedure will help.

I think having a doctor out of state or even out of country is a little scare because you never know what can happen..

I think having a doctor out of state or even out of country is a little scare because you never know what can happen..

I know, I couldn't imagine having it out of country but I'm not as concerned with out of state because I have a support system in Florida in case I ever needed to go back and I feel that since my insurance is covering the surgery in Florida I should have coverage when I get back. I figure that people run into this problem all the time with people having to move to new areas for various reasons.

I guess you could search for doctors in your area via lapband.com or here. However, I know many people that travel three hours or more to go to their doctors. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just anyone. I don't understand why your insurance would cover it in Florida but not in Maryland where you live??

My insurance does cover me if I wanted to have the surgery in Maryland. The only reason I am going to Florida is that I want to have the band with plication and there are very few doctors in the country that do plication. Overall it will work out for me because my parents live about 20 minutes away from the doctor's office so I will spend the first few weeks after surgery with them. Worse case I may have to fly down every few months for follow ups but it's actually feasable to fly down and back in a single day.

I feel for you girl! I will be in the same boat as you! I am a military wife so I am living in Virginia with my husband and daughter. All of our family and friends are back home in Wisconsin. I am having my surgery in Wisconsin because I need family to help me with my daughter while I recover. Luckily I was already planning to stay in town for a few months since my husband will be out to sea anyways. My surgeon said he should be able to fill me before I leave. However, I still need to find a doctor close to home (Virginia) incase I need an adjustment.