Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill Or Not To Fill My Lap Band?

Okay so I'm freshly banded (as of November 21st) and have lost a total of 22 pounds (including pre op diet). I'm scheduled for my first fill January 3rd. However, I've told myself that if I can lose at least 7 more pounds before then, I'm not going to get the fill. That's the logical decision right? I'm sure my doctor might not even let me get a fill if I'm losing that much. I only get hungry about every 4 hours or so. However, I may be getting ahead of myself as I haven't even started on regular food yet. That's next week. So who knows if I'll be able to lose those 7 pounds. I do intend to stay under 900 calories so I should still lose...I guess it's just a waiting game!

I decided yesterday to increase my calorie intake from 600 to 800. I hadn't lost anything for a week. Today I got on the scale and I've lost 2 pounds since yesterday! Sooo awesome! I love this journey!!

You're doing well with your weight loss. I'm not a believer in increasing calories to increase weight loss, if you

eat less calories, you'll lose more weight. You should be losing 1 to 3 lbs a week on average, some weeks more,

some less. If you lose much more, it'll likely be muscle and we don't want that. If you go more than a month without

any loss, you need to look at your caloric intake honestly. There are a lot of ideas about weight loss that have been

going around for a long time about increasing caloric intake to increase weight loss, but there is no scientific

evidence to support this, in fact just the opposite, glycogen uptake and use cause much of the gain and loss seen.

Any animal will lose weight on insufficient food and gain on too much.

As far as fills, I haven't had any fills yet, but that's largely just will power. If you can do it, great, but you have to be

careful that you are able to control your hunger. It's very easy to give in and overeat, so it just depends on you, you will get hungrier with time. I hope you do what's right for you, good luck.

first of all you are still on the post op diet.. things will change once you go from liquids to solids you probaly won't lose and you might even gain. so, that is something that you need to keep in mind. also if you continue to decrease your calories you can make your body go into starvation mode and not lose anything you should try to keep your calories between 800-1200. i am 10 months post op and I am staying around 1200. i also don't increase my calories if i work out. i have had six fills. my band had Fluid in it after surgery so i waited until about 8 weeks post op to have a fill. i think you should discuss this with your doctor. since you are still learning your body with the band.. once you get use to it things will change.

I would say no to the fill. I also agree that increasing calories does not mean weight loss. I believe that some people have to stay at a certain calorie intake to lose I cant go above 1000 or I dont lose. Everyone doesnt need 1200 calories to lose weight or more. I would say that 600 is a little bit to less and you need more than that but I dont go over 1000 cause if I do I gain.

first of all you are still on the post op diet.. things will change once you go from liquids to solids you probaly won't lose and you might even gain. so, that is something that you need to keep in mind. also if you continue to decrease your calories you can make your body go into starvation mode and not lose anything you should try to keep your calories between 800-1200. i am 10 months post op and I am staying around 1200. i also don't increase my calories if i work out. i have had six fills. my band had Fluid in it after surgery so i waited until about 8 weeks post op to have a fill. i think you should discuss this with your doctor. since you are still learning your body with the band.. once you get use to it things will change.

Ha ummm...welll....I believe I did state in my original post that I may be getting ahead of myself as I haven't finished my last stage yet. I stated that I may not even lose 7 pounds. I am staying realistic about that. However, I've heard many people on this site say that they haven't had ANY fills and are still able to lose weight. I know that's not the norm, but it IS possible. Not everyone needs to receive 6 fills. Also, I never said I was decreasing the amount of calories I was taking in. As a matter fact, I specifically said I INCREASED them. I haven't been able to eat very much and will eventually (when I'm able) be able to get up to the recommended 1200. And of course I will be discussing this with my doctor on January 3rd. I just wanted to get everyone's input. Thanks for your response!

Ha ummm...welll....I believe I did state in my original post that I may be getting ahead of myself as I haven't finished my last stage yet. I stated that I may not even lose 7 pounds. I am staying realistic about that. However, I've heard many people on this site say that they haven't had ANY fills and are still able to lose weight. I know that's not the norm, but it IS possible. Not everyone needs to receive 6 fills. Also, I never said I was decreasing the amount of calories I was taking in. As a matter fact, I specifically said I INCREASED them. I haven't been able to eat very much and will eventually (when I'm able) be able to get up to the recommended 1200. And of course I will be discussing this with my doctor on January 3rd. I just wanted to get everyone's input. Thanks for your response!

Oh and I'm not on a liquid diet. Haven't been for well over a week now (and I've STILL been losing). I've been doing pureed and started soft food today.

You can lose without fills I never had one fill for the first year and lost 70lbs and only this entire year everyone is different and it is possible that the band just being in place is enough for you to keep losing.