Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Day Lap Band Surgery Liquid Diet Fail!

Ok so today was my first day of my ten day liquid diet. I did really good all day but about a hr. Ago I broke down and ate. I feel so guilty and discouraged. Im also worried about how ill do after surgery if its day one and I was cheating. Any experience with this would help. Thanks

I guess you're going to have to start over. You'll do better tomorrow. It does get easier with practice, this is self

deprivation. It's going to take a bit of will power and a bunch of determination. You have to take it one day at a

time, like a recovering alcoholic. You're a recovering food junkie. If it gets to the point where you can't stand it,

think about what you'll look like in a year if you make a success of this. If you follow your dietitian's instructions, you should lose about two pounds a week, on average.That's about 100 lbs in a year. Would that be worth drinking

a cup of tea instead of eating a cookie? Everyone here has done it and we've all slipped once or twice, but you

have to get back on the horse, and try again. you're the only one who really knows how badly you want this and

whether you're willing to work for it (and it is work!). The rewards are worth it.

After the first three days, the liquid diet gets easier. Don't beat yourself up, just start fresh tomorrow.

Make sugar free Jello in several flavors. One night, I ate two full boxes of Jello. sugar free popsicles were helpful too.

Drink a lot of liquids - hot tea and broth added variety.

I just finished my last day of preop liquid diet (surgery tomorrow morning) and I agree with above that it got easier after first 2 days. I also found if I made sure I spaced my Protein Shakes out evenly through the day it helped alot. And the Jello helped just to make me feel like I was eating. Forget about today and start fresh tomorrow.

Good luck!!

Thanks guys. I just needed a little encouragement.

Don't wait for tomorrow to start again. Do it right now!

That may sound harsh but the longer you leave it to get started again, the more chance there is that you will have another hiccup.

I speak from experience - oh well, I've screwed up the diet today, I'll get started again tomorrow - and then I used that as an excuse to eat crap for the rest of the day! I was my own worst enemy.

I was banded in April this year and have lost 112lb and I still screw up. This afternoon I ate a piece of chocolate cheesecake at work. Tonight I'm eating out with friends so I could just wait until tomorrow to get back on track. But I'm not going to wait, I have to do it right now. dinner will be a small, healthy choice and then it's exercise time to burn off those silly cheesecake calories. That way I'll wake up feeling good tomorrow and it will be an easier day!

Good luck on your surgery and your journey

Tandi, this liquid diet thing is the hardest part of this entire journey. I too slipped, stumbled and cheeted a bit on my liquids but as others have said, start again, right NOW and hang in there. I have made so many slips since I started my journey in July, 2011, but all in all I am still looking forward and making progress (down 70 pounds). You can do this. Try not to dwell on the fact that it is all liquids - Don't watch regular TV (only watch movies - too many food commericals) and stay away from smells - like food cooking...All of this helped me and I don't regret sticking it out. Hang in there and good luck with the 10 days of torture and your band surgery...target.gif Melinda

Thanks yall!! Ive done much better today. I think I just had to let it sink in that I wont die without food. Lol

It's really tough at first. And great job on getting back into the swing of it. My experience after surgery with liquids is that your stomach for the first week is trying to recover so you won't even be able to put much in and what liquid you take in is very filling. Yes you will come to miss chewing the most! POPSICLES are your best friend! They can give your chewing craving some satisfaction while still being liquid. Jello was good too for texture. you just have to be strong and remind yourself how much and why you want it!

I wsant to know why we cannot eat lettuce on pre-op,, this sweet sweet i tried the broth, , so high in salt, lettuce w little lemon juice n slt n pepper? why is it not allowed