Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I'm A Gym Rat!

B-52
Sign in to follow this  

Ok, see where this new group is headed, perhaps pick up some new ideas, methods.

Gym rat? I guess I qualify. Which means I go about 5 days a week, and feel guilty on the days I can't make it because of long work day, etc.

I'm a early riser, so I like to get to the gym before 6am, and I am by no means the only person there!

Aside from weights, I do at least 60 minutes moderate to rigorous on the elliptical. I'd like to move up to running, but I have never liked running, and I was a sprinter on the track team back in H.S.

Can't stand the "Pounding" throughout my body. I have noticed if I run at a faster pace, there is a "Lighter" step???? Loose more weight?????

I'll figure it out sooner or later.

I have a elliptical in my house, but I prefer going to the gym. Why? Because I like to be among other people doing the same thing. Strange as it sounds, doing so "paces" me and I push a little harder. Sort of a subconscious competitiveness I guess.

I slacked off for a long time until a few months ago. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week too and I totally feel guilty on the days I miss. When I miss, I usually make up for it by doing a few sets of push ups and sit ups at home just to get my blood flowing throughout the day. I got rid of the treadmill at home that was being used as a clothes hangar and collecting dust, gave it to a less fortunate friend who couldn't afford a gym membership. I think I used it a total of 2 times over the years I had it anyways.

I used to only be able to run a mile or mile and a half max until I put down the cigarettes a half year ago. I took my unhealthy addiction and turned it in to a healthy gym addiction. I run at least a 5K (~3 miles) daily and do the elliptical for another 10-15 minutes. I used to HATE running too! The key for me was getting a pair of good Brooks running shoes that gave my feet support. I have really messed up feet and always felt wobbly when I would run for any distance at all. I went to a local sneaker store here in NY that specializes in running shoes and they had this contraption that videos you running on a treadmill and based on how you run, they recommend a specific sneaker. My Brooks were around $85, didn't break teh bank but made a huge word of difference for me.

After my run I usually hit the weights and concentrate on different areas of my bod daily. You'd think going to the gym would tire me out but on the contrary, it gives me the energy to get through my daily grind.

I honestly never used to understand my mother. She is a total gym rat. She goes at ike 5 am to the gym mostly every morning. I always thought she was crazy.

Now I understand. While I don't go to they regular gym every day. I am addicted to kickboxing. I go 5 days a week. Occasionally doing more than one class or going twice a day. I just love it. If I have to miss it I feel awful. I am looking forward to going to Florida fro a Vet conference, but wondering how I'm going to get my workouts in while I'm away. I know I'll feel like crap if I don't and I just know I'll gain if I don't. I also go to the regular gym one day a week and go on the elliptical for an hour. I sometimes find myself really wanting to go on Tuesdays (my day off from working out) but I know you really need to have a off day from working out. In the past if I've felt kind of sick I'd take a day off, but found that I felt worse for doing so. Now I push through and go and I usually feel better after it. So I guess I'm a gym rat too now!

Ok, I never thought of myself as a gym rat. Actually gyms used to intimidate me, I never joined an actual gym until 6 weeks ago because I really felt intimidated by all the equipment. But now that has changed, I am 19 months into this life changing event and I was stuck. Stuck in my progress that is, so again I decided to take things down an unfamiliar trail, joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. Wow, I had no idea where all this was going but I can actually say, I love to exercise now, I am addicted to my gym, my trainer, my Nordic Track and my Fitbit. 4 weeks into this I lose 5 lbs and 9.5 inches. The gym is exactly what I needed, I will be interested to see how active this group is and what else I can learn. I work out with a trainer 3 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week. Thursday are my rest day from training and cardio and Sundays are my one day a week I allow myself extra carbohydrates. I am very regimented in my diet and my exercise, this is my new life now and I am loving it.