Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Infection/removal

I went to the Dr. today do to port site pain and swelling. The Dr. thinks I have an infected port site, I am going to get an ultrasound in a few hrs. They are checking for Fluid and infection, if so they are going to remove the port this afternoon. Has anyone else had their port removed? I am really tempted to tell them to removed the whole band. I have done nothing but cry non stop.

3 months after my surgery my port dislodged completely and they had to relocate it to my right side. I felt the same way, "Remove the whole darn band" kept going through my mind. My case was extreme and I went through the whole process of having surgery to relocate the port, which included new incisions. Was it worth it? Absolutely!!! I'm thinking that they will probably clean out the infected area and put you on antibiotics. If they do go the removal route, the incisions are small and a day surgery procedure, but, I hope that n your case they may just put you on strong antibiotics and let it clear up. Hang in there. This is a bump in the road and the rewards are great at the end. Prayers out your way.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your port site. When did you have your surgery? Can I ask what's making you so upset that you want to have your entire band removed?

I know there are a couple of women on the boards who have had a similar experience with the port, and have had it removed and then eventually replaced. From what I can tell they have gone on to still lose weight.

Sorry I can't be much more help, but I will be praying for you and your healing no matter what you decide. I hope your appointment goes well. Keep us posted.

I got my ultrasound, no infection thank God!! I still taking antibotics. I'm thinking tissue inflammation is the reason, wasn't told, just told to do what my Dr had said in the office. I was wanting it removed, b/c my daddy had staph infection after getting an aortic aneurysm, so I was just panicing. I am hoping by Monday I am good. I'm suppose to get my first fill Wed, but I may hold off. I got my sx Oct. 28th. Thanks for the prayers!!

I had a big, long answer to your PM until I saw this. I am so happy for you, now it's time for you to

get to work and make a success of this. It will take a lot of work on your part, and you're going to

get discouraged from time to time, when you do, come back here and see if there isn't something

we can do to help. The very best of luck to you.

I hope and pray this is the biggest bump in the road, I was told not to eat this morning at my dr appt, now I am waiting to go get me some fish! I have the burning and muscle cramp/pull sensation still, but I believe with the antibiotics, I will be fine!

Good to hear!! Take it easy until you are healed completely, meaning no exercise until everything has calmed down. Prayer is powerful and for now, one day at a time. God is awesome!