Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain In Abdomen - Wondering If Lap Band Slipped

So I got stuck yesterday after a few bites of grilled salmon, and everything came back out pretty violently (without my control... and sorry if this is TMI.).

Since then I've had this weird pain inside when I take a deep breath or now even just as I sit here typing. I also didn't feel like eating and only forced myself to drink a Protein Shake for some nutrition since I had only had Breakfast all day.

I am wondering if this is just my body reacting to what happened, an irritation from the incident, or whether the throwing up did something to my band and moved it out of place or something.

Anyone experience something similar? What does it feel like if your band slips and can this happen from such an experience?

I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks,

Jo

I'm no medical person, but it sounds like you've irritated your stoma/pouch and need to go on

liquids for a day or two to let any swelling go down. If you're stil having problems in a couple of,

days, you should probably make an appointment to see your doctor, but give it some time.

Exactly!!!!! Take it from me, the queen of PBing and all that. If u slip, u won't even b able to swallow ur own saliva let alone anything else! It irritates, warm liquids for the next 2 days. If this doesn't work, then u need to get in to the doc so they can Fluor u and do an unfill.I was unfilled for a year while I healed due to bein a bad girl with my band. I ate alL the wrong things. For me salmon never worked, neither did most meat if it was too dry. Chew chew chew, use ur tongue to pulverize it against the roof of ur mouth b4 u swallow.....it works. U can message me anytime, I'm banded 5 years this month!

you may have pulled a muscle in your stomach too. Take it easy for the new day or two. sometimes taking liquid benadryl helps.

I also have to watch on days that the weather changes, i sometime will get tight on days that are really cold. On those days i drink hot coffee, it help loosen it up so i can eat.

I know this will sound funny, but if i wear a bra tight around my chest, i will get stuck.

Stephanie, thank you so very much for your input. I have been having trouble for about a month. Some days I think my band has slipped because I cannot eat anything but I can drink, slowly some days, but I can drink. On days that it is cold it is especially hard to eat. I will not freak out as much. Once again thanks.

I have been having pain at my port site today, feel like I just had the surgery. I can eat, drink, but my site is swollen. Maybe a pulled muscle, is that what your experiencing? I called the dr, the nurse said the port didn't flip, the way it is in there now. It has been 5 wks since my surgery. I read to put ice on my port, I hope this works, cause muscle relaxers haven't.

U have had problems for a month....trust me when I tell u that u r simply too tight!!!! Classic symptoms. A lot of us who r in our sweet fill spot have to "warm it up" for business in the morning by drinking something warm. Cold things makes it a little tighter......trust me :-) call, go get a slight unfill. Everytime u do this, ur irritating ur pouch and will get so swollen u can not swallow anything.....again, trust me, been there done that a zillion times. I'm surprised the clinic hasn't told u to come in......u would b surprised at how just a slight unfill will make it better. If u have any heart burn/acid reflux, u r 1000% too tight.....ur doc should do fluro on u to see just how tight u r. Any questions? Message me anytime :)

I have been having pain at my port site today, feel like I just had the surgery. I can eat, drink, but my site is swollen. Maybe a pulled muscle, is that what your experiencing? I called the dr, the nurse said the port didn't flip, the way it is in there now. It has been 5 wks since my surgery. I read to put ice on my port, I hope this works, cause muscle relaxers haven't.

If your port site is red or warm to the touch, get to your doc ASAP. It's a sign of infection.

Thanks for the input everyone. I stayed on liquids today and I am feeling better. Will do the same thing tomorrow.

If your port site is red or warm to the touch, get to your doc ASAP. It's a sign of infection.

No, I checked, I was warm because of my sweatshirt and having a 12 wk old asleep on me. I have a heating pad on my tummy. I feel so bloated, like I can't pass gas. Im scared now from what I have read, it would be appendicitis. If I am not better in the morning I am going to the Dr after class. its not red, I have gone through the 4 sighs of infections,redness, swollen, tenderness, and fever.

I do have an infection, I am going for an ultrasound today, if there is Fluid or infection, they are removing my port this afternoon. I am scared to death! I am tempted to tell them to removed the whole lapband!

don't give up.... let them fix it and see how things go. it's only been four weeks..... the first few months are the hardest. don't let this deter you. talk it over with your dr and see what he/she says....

I had my ultrasound, no infection or fluid! I am thinking it is inflammation of the tissue around the port. It is still red though, that can be from it being irritated. I am on 750 mg of Keflex 3 times a day. So that should clear up anything! I was wanting it removed b/c my daddy got staph infection from having an aortic aneurysm repaired. I am a worry wort!

I had my ultrasound, no infection or fluid! I am thinking it is inflammation of the tissue around the port. It is still red though, that can be from it being irritated. I am on 750 mg of Keflex 3 times a day. So that should clear up anything! I was wanting it removed b/c my daddy got staph infection from having an aortic aneurysm repaired. I am a worry wort!

I am very happy you were seen for it and they checked you out! It sounds as though they are treating a possible infection even though the ultrasound was negative. So, the doctor may think there might have been something brewing that he wanted to stop.

You are still healing from the surgery. So it isn't odd for the incision to be red. But I say, if something doesn't feel/look right, call your surgeon. That is what we pay them for.

After nearly 4 years, my port site sometimes gets irritated by my waistband. It is a very minor price to pay in my book. It is just due to the location my surgeon chose to place it. But it works well fo rme in that it doesn't stick out or show in any way. I am just aware of it at times.

And staph infections are NO fun at all. I had one on my extreme lower back (read "backside"). I couldn't sit for 2 days. I don't blame you being worried!

Edited by Cocoabean

I agree with many of the above posts. I had my first PB about 2 months ago, it was completely my fault! I ate way too fast and it just came right back up (cottage cheese...so it wasn't stuck, it was just me trying to eat too much and my band going, no way!) Then at thanksgiving I had some turkey and oh man that didn't go well! I had my first "stuck" episode and then PB'd for the 2nd time. After the "stuck" episode I was sore...thought about doing liquids, but decided my dr had encouraged high quality solid Proteins. I blended up the turkey in my magic bullet with a little miracle whip for a few days, I was full, no stuck episodes and worked my way back up to solids without having an empty tummy feeling.

Hope you're doing better!