Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - my name is Phyllis and I was banded on 12/28/05 and have lost 30 pounds. I was very sick for the first 3 weeks and was re-admitted to the hospital because of dehydration. My band was swollen shut and everything I drank for 7 days came right back up. It was a terrible week and for 2 weeks thereafter. I did great for the next 3 weeks until my first fill and I again, started, throwing everything back up for 3 days and had to have the fill removed. Am now doing great. It was no fun but I would do it all over again. I am thrilled with my weight loss and can not believe that I am never hungry. I have to tell myself I need to eat. I just can't believe it. I have about 62 more pounds until goal.

I was banded by Louisville Surgical Associates in Louisville, KY. My doctor is Dr. Vincent Lusco. Has anyone else had these doctors? Let me know your experiences.

Also, tell me about your diet. I have been able to eat everything I have tried but only about 1/3 of what I would normally eat. I am feeling great.

:cool: :) Phyllis

Good for you Phyllis! Sounds like you have perfect restriction...you can eat anything (well-chewed and slowly, right?) and in small quantities, and you are losing! Great!

I had a rough first few weeks, too. Keep that in mind as you get fills in the future. I guess you are a "sweller" and need to ease slowly back into eating after a fill. I know I do. I was super tight post-surgery as well. IV fluids saved my butt! But it sounds like you have had more difficult a time than I had.

Anyhow, welcome to LBT!

Thanks Kathy, appreciate the encouragement. Yes, I am a sweller. Right after my fill I tried to eat potato Soup and almost immediately it came back up. My doctor said that's when the swelling began. Won't try that again. LOL. My start weight was 252 and I am now 222 with a goal of 160. After you have a fill... what do you eat and for how long?

Glad you are doing well. Looks like you've had a good weight loss too. Thanks again for your reply.

Hiya Kathy, welcome to LBT!

Sounds like you had a bit of a rough start but you're well on your way now. Grats on your weightloss. You'll be at goal before you know it!

I also used Dr. Lusco in Louisville. I just had surgery on Feb 8th. I feel like crap right now with lots of gas pain and a golf ball in my chest but I'm not swollen and I'm pretty hungery. I can get as much liquid as I need down. In fact i just called Dr. Lusco a bit ago to ask if I can have mushy food already. I'm just so hungery and my belly is growling a lot.

Sorry to hear you had a rough time. I guess everyone is different. I hope mine goes smoothly. Hope you are feeling better.

After you have a fill... what do you eat and for how long?

Glad you are doing well. Looks like you've had a good weight loss too. Thanks again for your reply.

Phyllis,

Thanks, my weight loss is slow, I hit lots of plateaus, but I can get it off! I think 160 might be a more realistic goal for me, but we'll see when I get there.

After a fill, I do better having protien drinks (I like Boost and Carnation Instant Breakfast...not the most protien I could get but easy and drinkable!) and Egg Drop Soup. I'll do that for the rest of the day and all of the next. Then I'll move to mushies for a day or two...refried Beans, guacamole, pretty much anything without meat and mushy. Then I'll venture into salads, and on to regular foods. I keep thinking it might be time for another fill...I just don't know. I'd like increased restriction, but why?, if I know I CAN eat less than I do, and I need to be exercising more. It really is a head game. Anyhow, good luck! Looks like you have another Dr Lusco patient here...

Cashley, try Egg Drop Soup, it's very filling but easy on the band. Don't move too fast to mushies when there are sooo many good Soups to try pureed. Be careful of the golfball in the chest. That's your band, not gas. Slow down friend!

The gas pain is in my back... it's moved around under my ribs a lot. It mostly feels like a knife in my back. The golf ball in my chest I realize is my band but I'm still hungrey.

The doctor said I didn't have a lot of fat around the top of my stomach and that the band is looser on me then on some people. Also I didn't have much swelling so I never had the restriction on the liquids.

I spoke to him yesterday on the phone and he said to add "mushy" food like oatmeal & mash potatos. He said to take GasX for the pain in my back but it's not really helped.

I've only had a few bites of oatmeal since getting permission. I'm not a big Soup eater since I hate veggies... I've been living on Boost for now but am planning on swithing to a better Protein drink.

Phyllis - Welcome to bandland! I am glad you are over all the problems and on your way to a healthier you.

Cashley - The only thing that helped my back pain was a heating pad.

Good luck to both of you:D ;):D

Phyllis

I just had a fill on 1/28 and I just have been able to eat a couple bites of meat the past couple of days. Your weight loss has been incredible for just having your surgery on Dec 28th. Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I know it has helped me alot with lapband situations.

Phyllis~ Welcome to LBT and i'm so sorry you had a rocky start...but so thrilled that you are doing better now and way to go on your weight loss!! great job!!!