Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amount per Meal

I have a question an the amount of food per meal. My dr. didnot give me an amount to aim for per meal - just the general when you are full, stop. I have a VG band and just started on semi - soft to solid food. It seems like I am overeating, even though I do not fill full. Any suggestions?

:help:

Msks

2/2/06

-10:p

I aim for 1/2 cup - like 1/2 C of Cereal with 1/2 C skim milk. I can eat more though and when I asked about this my surgeon said that while we are wide open (no fills yet) we should be physically able to eat like we used to. I have noticed that I have to slow down or its uncomfortable though.

Also, these first six weeks are about letting the body heal and your band get settled in well. We are to focus on eating healthy foods and exercising and resting when needed as we heal. After that, it's time to get down to serious business of losing weight. Anything before that is a bonus.

Listen to your body. Eat slowly so you can feel when you are full, then stop. You don't want to overfill your stomach and risk pushing your band out of place or having a PB (productive burp). Neither would be good.

In the early days I did measure out a cup, nowadays I have no idea how much I eat, just that it's less than before.

I was thinking about this and I think its hard because when you're dieting you expect to have to stop before you feel full. So eating to the point of being satisfied and reasonably full *feels* like overeating doesnt it? Its very hard to get around the fact that you can trust your body and that its full signal will come at an appropriate time as long as you're honest about listening to it.

Because despite the fact that I feel like I'm overeating, I'm certainly losing.

Before a fill I ate until I was full. Now that I have a fill I measure all my food to 8 oz which is a cup. Sometimes I dont eat 80z but i never eat over 8

Sounds like I just need to be careful and watch what I am eating until the first fill. It is scheduled on 3/13. Guess I will just wait and see.

My doc said to eat only 3/4 cup of food at a time, even if we can eat more. If we are hungry an hour later than have another 3/4 cup, but don't eat more than that at a time. Keeps us from stuffing ourselves. For myself, I have a hard time guaging when I'm full so the 3/4 cup rule has worked very well for me.

With 3.8cc in my 4cc band, I can eat about 4/5 oz at a meal....any more and my band speaks loud and clear....

I can eat easily a lean cuisine sized meal which is 7 - 8 oz. And feel 100% full. Not overstuffed. Then stay away from all food for 4 hrs or so until I get hungry again. It is more than I ever expected I would be able to eat with the band but it is working and I am happy.