Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't want the loss to slow down/stop!

I'm 6 days post-op; I lost a little over 10 lbs pre-surgery and am now down almost 16 lbs total. I wasn't able to eat very much the first few days after surgery due to a lot of swelling, but now I'm feeling my hunger come back in spades. I can't eat anything but liquids for the next 2 weeks, but I'm concerned once I'm back on mushies and then real foods until my first fill, my loss is going to stop or reverse.

I know it's normal, but I'm just LOVING the loss! (of course I'd be loving it more if I weren't still hobbling around in recovery LOL).

What is everyone's experience up until the first fill?

I'm 9 days post-op and I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm already on mushy food and I'm not losing anything anymore. I've been told that I shouldn't worry about losing weight, just healing, until my first fill, but I'm a little discouraged at how hungry I am and how much I can still eat. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.

AngioO, are you gaining? Or just not losing. My biggest fear is gaining. I can wait for the loss (although I'm impatient) but I really don't want to see a reversal; that would be discouraging!

I'm not gaining YET, but after eating low carbs for a couple of weeks and then being on liquids, it's hard to imagine that I won't gain a little. I've read other posts where someone mentioned gaining a couple of pounds between her surgery and her first fill. I don't really know how the band is supposed to help you lose weight before your first fill when you're just as hungry as you were before. I hate to use the word "diet", but it feels like I really need to be dieting right now if I want to lose any weight.

Hi there,

I'm on my 9th day from surgery also! I am still on liquids--Protein drinks, Soups, fudge bars, and I have noticed my appetite is increasing by the day!! I have only gotten on the scale once and have lost 6 pounds. I refuse to pay homage to the Almighty scale Goddess because that is all I've done in my life and so I'm paying tribute to it only once a week. :cool:

I'm hoping to graduate to mushies after 2 weeks which will be Thursday. That actually makes me a bit nervous because a lot of what are considered mushies (taters) are high in carbs, but some tuna about right now would be quite nice! :hungry:

Kelli

It does feel like the mushies are all high calorie. I did read that I'm able to eat things now (during the healing phase) that I won't be eating much of once I'm on solids. I'm looking forward to a fill so I'll feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the band. I know I'm impatient!!

Guest Kira M

I've heard the period between surgery and the first fill referred to as "lapband hell". Not very encouraging, huh? lol But ladies, Please try to be patient. I know it must be terribly frustrating. Any weight you lose between surgery and the time you reach optimal restriction (the much sought after "sweet spot"--which on average can take 3-5 fills) is a bonus. This time really is about healing.

So don't fret if the weight loss stalls, or even if you gain back a couple of pounds. Before you know it, you will have great restriction and the pounds will start dropping. :cool:

Don't we still have some restriction even w/o a fill? There is, after all, a band around our stomach. I am wondering if that in and of itself gives restriction??

Thanks,

Kelli

I cried the first Monday I got on the scales and saw that I had only lost two pounds. The week prior I had lost 8 pounds. But I had to remind myself about what I was just sharing with someone on another thread. The first six weeks is the time for your body to heal and the band to settle in. When you go from an extreme liquid diet to eating more solid foods and taking in more calories its only natural that your loss will slow down. Some even gain some weight back before that first fill, but usually no more than 10 pounds. During your first six weeks, focus on following your diet, start exercising, and take extra good care of your tummies so you give it every chance to heal and be ready for the more solid foods at six weeks.

Most every bandster will tell you that weight loss in this stage of the game is merely a bonus. The real stuff starts when you get a fill, if you need one. For some, the band is enough. The average loss is about 8 pounds per month - 2 pounds per week. In one year's time, that is 104 pounds loss at a very reasonable and safe rate.

Cheer up gals. This is only the start of the journey. You're all doing fine.

Don't we still have some restriction even w/o a fill? There is, after all, a band around our stomach. I am wondering if that in and of itself gives restriction??

My surgeon said that while the band is wide open (no fill) I should physically be able to eat like I used to. I am noticing that since the swelling from surgery has gone down, I am able to eat more at a time, so I'm really trying to watch the amounts.

I was just reading on another strand (amount per meal) and someone was saying that according to her doctor, she is physically able to eat regularly before her first fill.

*grins* That was me. I tend to get around. *winks*

I want to clairfy though. I cannot eat anywhere near the amounts I used to. Not even close.

You do get around!!lol I appreciate your other note. It makes me feel better. I keep getting on the scale and it never seems to move. I've thought about going back on liquids, but I'll have to eat real food sometime. I'm 9 days out and I've been back to work since the 5th day. By the end of the work day (I'm a 3rd grade teacher) and taking my kids to basketball, baseball, softball etc.., I'm too sore to exercise. About how much longer do most people feel the soreness after the surgery?

Even walking will do.. 30 minutes a day I was told. Sounds to me like youre staying fairly active though.

It's hard to say how long I was sore. I had hernia surgery (just above my belly button) which was not laproscopic and that hurt worse. I did have a band of pain around my chest, just below my ribs, that hurt like crazy. It was from the bit gas used during surgery that was still there and putting pressure on my diaphram. I remember how hard it was to um.. go to the bathroom alone. (I wish I'd have heard about toilet tongs!) I would say that by the second week I was doing a LOT better. Although some are up and out the next day.