Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Internal Pain Around Lap Band Port

I was banded on 10/17/11. My recovery has been pretty uneventful. I have lost about 26 lbs so far. However, yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain around the area of my port. I have a rather high tolerance for pain so this concerns me. It hurts to move and I can't take a deep breath without extreme pain. I had my surgery in Mexico and left a message for the surgeon this morning but I'm scared something is really wrong. I did work out on the elliptical earlier that day and did some stretching but I had no immediate pain. Is this pain normal? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have the same kind of port pain when I use the elliptical. I had this checked by my doc. last time this happened and she told me that I have lots of surgical scars in the port area that is aggravated when I use the elliptical. Last episode I was instructed to place a warm towel on the area for 15 minutes every 3-4 hours. What I did with the towel is wet it then put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and place on port area with a heating pad on top. It took me about 2 weeks to heal and no more elliptical. Well, the stubborn mule that I am, I started using the elliptical again and wouldn't you know it, it happened again. BTW, the best way to explain the pain is an ant or bee sting.

I would still contact your doctor just to be on the safe side. They may take an x-ray just to be sure.

I'm looking forward to using my elliptical next month. I hope I don't have that problem.

I'm looking forward to using my elliptical next month. I hope I don't have that problem.

Just be careful not to over do it. I think that's what I did. At first I started out with 10 minutes and build up to 45 minutes. The signs were there but I ignored it.

Thanks jakealta! I certainly hope that's all it is. I'm very worried because it hurts so bad. I'm going to try the hot towel treatment ASAP. I have a call in to my doctor, but, again, he's in Mexico, so I don't think he'll offer much help immediately. This is also discouraging because the elliptical is my favorite cardio machine and I have gotten back up to 45 minuties. Maybe I did over-exert myself. I was also looking forward to getting back into the Insanity workout around 6 weeks post-op but perhaps that's a bit too soon if I can't even handle the elliptical. Thanks again for the info!

Thanks jakealta! I certainly hope that's all it is. I'm very worried because it hurts so bad. I'm going to try the hot towel treatment ASAP. I have a call in to my doctor, but, again, he's in Mexico, so I don't think he'll offer much help immediately. This is also discouraging because the elliptical is my favorite cardio machine and I have gotten back up to 45 minuties. Maybe I did over-exert myself. I was also looking forward to getting back into the Insanity workout around 6 weeks post-op but perhaps that's a bit too soon if I can't even handle the elliptical. Thanks again for the info!

You'll be ok, just take it easy for awhile. As I recall it took about 3 days of heat treatments before I felt the pain subside. Take tylenol for the pain.