Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Top Necessity Before Lap Band Surgery

Tomorrow I am going shopping for everything I will need at the hospital and the first week after. My list so far is the following:

Body pillow

chewable vitamins

SF Jello

broth

Heating pad

Gas X strips

Water

SF Popsicles

I keep staring at it wondering if I'm missing anything. I was just wondering what you took with you to the hospital or had the week following surgery that was invaluable to you. There are a couple of obvious things I did not include like drawstring pants and my cell phone. I also am going to buy more of my Protein Drink powder. Thanks!!

liquid tylenol for adults...my pain was so low that I didn't take pain pills but for 2 days. (and be forewarned! pain pills very well may constipate you, trust me on this! I even took the stool softener with it...ugh!) I am on day 5 and have used tylenol when needed, usually at night. Good luck! :)

You might get some Vitamin B12 for possible fatigue, anti-nausea liquid if anesthesia makes you sick, You'll need some type of calcium citrate, most of the liquid is nasty, chewables are ideal, but hard to find. Don't forget PJs and slippers. Don't bother with a book, you won't have time or feel like reading. Look for some sugar free fudgecicles, they're great. I bought Costo's chicken bouillon and mixed Protein isolate in it for a little extra. Costco's Muscle Milk Protein Powder is really good in vanilla.(mixes with any fruit).

I spent a good amount of time waiting for a room in the hospital. I was in the recovery area, but fully awake and I didn't have a TV or anything. I was very happy to have my Kindle with me.

You won't be allowed anything by mouth until have they have done a barium swallow to make sure that everything is ok. Bring some kind of lip balm; your lips will be very dry.

Good luck!

I was only in the hospital overnite so you really don't need anything. As for at home your doctors office should have given you a program for your eating schedule. I was only off work for 1 week. One of the things i have found on this site is that lap band patients are not informed... its really sad. Im not sure why- is it the bariatric programs that are at fault ?? Anyway, i had my lap band 2 years ago, have lost 80 pounds, just had a Tummy Tuck. It has been my experiance that lap band patients will never eat the way they used to ever again. I have been filled to 7cc (14cc band). My diet mostly consisits of Soups, chilis, and chowders. Your life time food intake will depend on what you find you can tolerate. I cannot tolerate meat or chicken or fish and believe it or not could not get yogurt or mashed potatoes to stay down. As for protein- most Protein from GNC or costco, or muscle milk has protein that bariatric patients cant use... there are different types of protein. I use ViSalus - they have tri sorb protein that is readily absorbed into the muscles. Its also much more affordable than the other products. Its not the quantity of protein but the quality of protein you need.

Good Luck to you.... Be Healthy