Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Words of Encouragement from My Lapband Journeyman:)

Hello Everyone,

Tues is my surgery and I am getting scared, I know I should not be but I can not help it. I question myself as to my journey and if I will have regrets....Just need a little something, something from my support lapbanders.............

Warmest Personal Regards,

Lisa

Do not be afraid Lisa! I think it is normal that everyone gets a little nervous just before their surgery and has second thoughts. I must say though that this has been and continues to be a wonderful journey for me. I feel absolutely wonderful and am losing the weight at a good rate. I remember still wondering if I had done the right thing a couple of days after surgery but after about a week I was already feeling good and starting to know that it was the right thing to do. Just stay busy until surgery day and just remember all the reasons you decided to do this in the first place.

Good Luck!!

it is perfectly normal. i was scared to death myself...not of the band, but of the surgery itself. i was convinced that i would die. I got all of my affairs in order and everything. I had to walk into the surgical theatre and when i saw all of the people in scrubs busying themselves, getting ready for my surgery I tried to turn around and leave, but the nurse grabbed my hand and said "you can do this, now get your butt in there"...and that's what I did.

i walked in, they drugged me up and the next thing i knew i was waking up in recovery.

you will be fine, you've got this.

Lisa. I am so happy for you. Although I was never scared, I can understand the trepidation. You are going to be so thrilled when you find yourself with more energy! It will be a journey, but we are all here, holding your hand when you want to move along, and supporting you when you need it.

Edie

Hi Lisa. I wasn't scared either. I felt really good with my surgeon and felt he was going to take care of me and just focused on positive thoughts. I too wondered 'oh my god, what have I done' after day 1, 2 & 3 but everyday things just progressed positively each and every day since. I have alot more weight to lose but with what I have lost (down 3 pants sizes and 1 top size) I feel SOOOOO much better. Everyday is a great day!!

Hang in there and Good luck on your journey.

It's completely normal to be nervous to go under a general anethetic...being a mom, I worried and stressed over not coming out of the surgery rather than what life with a band would be like.

I can say that with around 70lbs gone, I can run after my children more (slippery little buggers :)) and they have more fin wth me because I'm happier in general.

I think there is bigger risk to your health and longevity staying heavy than taking this very brave, courageous step to take control of your life.

Only you know if the decision is right for you...I wish you a speedy recovery (which mine was pretty easy) and much happiness on your lapband journey

I just got banded yesterday and I completely agree with my fellow posters..This is day 2 and I am definitely thinking "what the hell did I just do" but I still feel good about my decision! I just don't like being sore like this and not being able to pick up my 10 month old, it's hard not to just scoop up your child when he is crying for you, you know? But overall I feel ok and I KNOW why I did this. You will be fine!! Good luck to you!!

Wow I am having my surgery Tuesday too!! We should stay in touch and compare notes!! I am a little nervous too but I am excited- I just hope I made the right choice of procedure- Sometimes I get worried I am too overweight for this- Maybe I should have gone with the bypass- but I am not starting over now! Plus - honestly this pre-op liquid hell has given me the assurance that I can completely change my eating habits and follow the guidelines needed- I am so surprised how strictly I have stayed on tract with this diet!

I really want to get my exercise game on- that is my next step

Anyway- Good luck Tuesday and keep in Touch!

Hello,

I am new to this board but, I read your post and I wanted to let you know that I understand how you feel. I was suppose to have had my band put on last year but I backed out of it the night before surgery. I spent the rest of the year putting on 40 more pounds due to failed diets. In September of this year I did it. I cried in the operating room I was so afraid but, I did it. I have been slow to lose the weight but that is because I make poor choices but I have lost about 20 pounds and I am feeling better. I have to tell you untill I had my second fill I couldn't even tell that anything was done. I had very little pain I didn't even need pain meds at the hospital. My insurance made me spend the night at the hospital but I would have been able to go home. I was up and walking about an hour after surgery. The only complaint I had was I could bend over fine but, it hurt to raise up. You will regret it if you don't do it. I wish I had done this when I was 40 pounds lighter I would have been looking pretty good by this time. Good Luck

Good luck with your surgery. I was banded last month and I was scared too. I had second thoughts too, mainly about dying or the lapband not working and I have wasted money or is this too drastic a solution. But being obese just wasn't an option anymore and everything else I tried had failed. The first week post-surgery was rough, but I am feeling great now and losing weight (and the "diet" is just not that difficult to stick to, as I am not hungry and thinking of food all of the time). I don't regret it at all. Good luck and let me know how it goes.