Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want your opinion

So here's the deal: I am 32yrs/old Male 6' tall 300lbs with BMI of 41. I have always been big since I can rememeber anyway (Football build). I have lost down to 220 once on low carb diet but gained it all back. I am so sick of being fat. Question: How do you know if surgury is right for you?

Thank you.:phanvan

Hi Natlin, How do you know if surgery is right for you? The best you can do is research, research, RESEARCH. Take a peek around the postings here, the different boards including the complications board. Read up on anything and everything. Check out the websites for hospitals near you and see if they have a Bariatric unit or the surgeons that do the different WLS. See how many they've done, etc. Then take that ALL in and ask yourself....Is this right for me. If you think it could be visit your PCP, get his/her recommendation on a surgeon who does them, make an appointment with that surgeon and ASK questions. There are also informational groups at many hospitals where you'll hear first hand what folks have gone through and questions they have. Amazing what you'll learn. Definately...make the decision being well informed. I know for me RnY wasn't an option. When I finally heard about Lap-Band I studied like crazy and THIS website has been the best. I'm being banded tomorrow (2/13) at Beth Israel in Boston,MA and I'm very excited about it! Good luck with your decision :)

Sherry

Natlin,

Boy if you are looking for opinions... you have tome to the right place>>>> LOL

All kidding aside. Surgery was such a personal decision for me. when I started looking into it, I didn't even tell my husband, who is my best friend.

This, for me, was my last hurdle in life..,,,., my addiciton to food. I have overcome all the other "things in my life that weren't good for me spiritually and physically. The old saying is when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired you will be ready to do something about it. I was ready to concur the food demon.

As I said, I was ready and it was the beginning of my journey when I started to ask the questions you are now asking.

Good luck. Take your time. Ask questions . and most of Enjoy the Journey....

Hi Natlin

Dr. Emma Patterson in Portland trained our Surgeon (Dr. Robert Cahn). He stated that she is one of the best in the country.

Hope that helps.

Research, research and then research some more. Surgery is not something to take lightly, and you need to know all the facts about it before jumping into it. Please take some time to do that before making up your mind.

Spending $10,000 to undergo anesthesia, be cut into and have a foreign body placed in my gut with whatever unknown future complications became "right" for me when I felt I had nothing to lose. After decades and decades of yo-yo-ing up and down 50 and 100 pounds I had NO HOPE and just could not get motivated to do start another program. From my sig it looks like I was a low BMI bandster, but I was on my way back up to the 312 pounds I took off in 2002 and I just could not stop myself.

When I was sitting on that train to Mexico it was out of pure desperation. If I died on an opeating table in Tia Juana then that was that--it was better than the pain & fear I was living with. For me it was not a question of being the right thing to do, it felt like the only thing I could do.

If I had felt that something less drastic than surgery would work I would have done that. Well, I had done that... many times. I would suggest you really try everything you can before doing this. You are not that old and you are not THAT overweight. You can work your ass off to lose with a personal trainer or any of the other methods and keep yourself down for awhile. You can ALWAYS have surgery later.

Please note, this surgery is NOT a slam-dunk. There are many slow and no losers. CHeck out Jonathon's threads. I think his stats are similar to yours and his outcome was about 30 measly pounds for a heck of a lot of money and trouble.

I'm sorry to sound negative. This was a good thing for me---but hardly a sure thing. It gave me HOPE and motivated me to start back down again, but it's a lot harder than I thought it would be and I honestly thought I would be closer to my goal by now.

Hmmm... wish I could sound more positive. That's the problem with opinions, sometimes they're negative ones.

I was 36 when I first started thinking about WLS. I had been overweight according to medical standards since my teens. But I was always very proportion well- so many didn't think I was that overweight. I had tried all & I mean All diets from my teens through my 20 & 30's. Lost about 35 pds everytime & always gained it back & than more. At 38 I was 251 & disgusted. I new if I dieted again , I would lose weight & once I couldn't keep that life style forever the weight would come back w/evengence. So the Lapband seemed perfect for me. I had good food choices mostly but always ate to much of it. So this would help w/portion control.

Well even though i would love to have had more of a loss by now, I am 8 1/2 mnths out, I can say that I do 3 miles on the treadmill at least 4 x's a week now & have even started aerobics again. I feel stronger & I know I am getting healthier.

I would ask youself this one question " Do you feel this will be a lifestlye you can live with forever?"

Because like it or not many- many people fail with the band. You must be much more disaplined than with RNY. Good luck w/you research & decision.

I'm a new bandster only 3 weeks out from surgery, so I don't know how valuable my opinion is...I chose to have this done after a lot of research and a lot of time reading here. I wouldn't have considered gastric bypass...just to scary and too many complications for me personally. But this seemed do-able, and it was either do this or just quit trying and continue creeping up. My life was getting more and more uncomfortable and I wasn't willing to give up yet, so this was it for me.

Good luck with your decision...it's a very personal one for each of us.

Emily

Likewise, I have spent a lifetime dieting. My first diet program was at 8 years old. I am now in my 50's, I am barely able to walk due to the weight and my arthritis, I have other medical problems as well and was at the point of giving up. Bypass scared me, dieting wouldn't work I figured I had no options until I heard about the band. I'm not banded yet, but will be soon and am so looking forward to it. I want my life back. I now have beautiful grandchildren that I want to play with and be around for for a long long time.

I knew I was ready as soon as I learned about he procedure. I have had to do a lot of research and have gone through all the medical and psych requirements and this site has helped me immensely.

Hang in there and find out as much as you can. This site being an excellent source of information as well as others. Talk to your doctors and just know that it is your decision, no one elses and that you have a lot of people thinking of you and praying for you.

To me, this meant HOPE.:)

I agree with everyone here - research and then research some more. A big part of the lapband lifestyle has to do with Portion Control and exercise, both of which can be done without the band (did I say that?? 'cause I sure couldn't do them!) For me, the band helps me to know when to stop, or maybe it's the $$ I shelled out to have it installed. Either way, I am losing the weight, I feel better (most days) than I have in a long, long time, and I am truly watching what - and how much - I am putting into my body.

I also think you should try all other methods of weight loss before jumping on the "band-wagon". So, if you've done all the other stuff (weight watchers, Nutrisystem, etc. etc.), I would suggest hitting one of the informational seminars in your area. This does not tie you to a specific doctor, but you can get some information to help you with this big decision!!!

Let us know how you do and what you decide!!!

~cheri

I was of a similar height and weight to you when I was banded. I've lost 60lbs in 4 months & I'm still losing.

Ask yourself this question... 'Am I a snacker or a binge-er'? People who eat large meals rather than frequent Snacks tend to do better with a lapband.

Hope that helps. :)

I agree with RESEARCH!

I looked at Gastric Bypass 5 years ago. After that research I came to a resounding NO! No flippin' way! And decided weight loss surgery wasn't for me.

Then I lost 60 lbs using a supplement product. Worked great except when I couldn't afford it anymore, gained it all back.

Then I heard about Lap band. Less invasive, reversable, doesn't change your anatomy (as far as permanent cutting).

It took 5 months from the time I went to my first seminar until surgery.

I love my band.

Hope that helps!