Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need serious advice!

I'm pre-op and my surgery is scheduled for next Monday, November 21st. I am begining to have second thoughts and I really want to make sure this is the right decision! I have heard both good and bad stories and I am so confused on what I should do! Also, I am paying for it myself, so that is also a reason I am begining to second question everything : (

I hear ya. I am in the same boat you are but my insurance pays for it all. I hear good and then bad... I get motivated to do it on my own and then I fail. I dont know if i can make the lifelong changes. Do you just do it and make it happen? am I over-thinking it? Yikes......

Michele, you are only 22 yrs old. Can you do this through your 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's? Have you exhausted all non- surgical options? I'm 57 and wondering if i can do this through my 60's and70's. I can't imagine making this life decision at 22. But that's me. Good luck to you.

Michele, you are only 22 yrs old. Can you do this through your 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's? Have you exhausted all non- surgical options? I'm 57 and wondering if i can do this through my 60's and70's. I can't imagine making this life decision at 22. But that's me. Good luck to you.

Yes! It seems the closer I'm getting, the more questions keep popping up! : ( I am also a competitve athlete who is just getting back into sports and some have told me I would not have the energy I used to to compete at the level I would like to due to the amount of carbohydrates I would need... I'm so confused, and I would hate to spend so much money and I just don't know... I need to be able to look into the future for a second lol

Thank you for your honesty! I really have no clue, I just need everyone to be completely honest with me and tell me, is it something you can keep up with, or should I reallllyyyy try to control my eating by myself? I am a BAD yo-yo dieter. I have lost 32 lbs on my own and I have NEVER been this heavy in my life :/

Thank you for your honesty! I really have no clue, I just need everyone to be completely honest with me and tell me, is it something you can keep up with, or should I reallllyyyy try to control my eating by myself? I am a BAD yo-yo dieter. I have lost 32 lbs on my own and then gained 60 lbs right after and I have NEVER been this heavy in my life :/

You are 22 and a competitive athlete? How much overweight are you? What is your sport? Do you want to compete again? Do you miss the tough workouts? Did you enjoy them? Have you tried to get back into working out and eating the way your coach taught you?

You are 22 and a competitive athlete? How much overweight are you? What is your sport? Do you want to compete again? Do you miss the tough workouts? Did you enjoy them? Have you tried to get back into working out and eating the way your coach taught you?

Okay, so I guess everyone has just made my mind up for me... I guess I will not be doing the surgery. I took two years off of sports to finish school, my student teaching. I play soccer, volleyball and I am a powerlifter. I just started getting back into them, like the past couple of weeks. I just feel I have never learned to eat correctly and it is so hard to eat like I'm suppose to :/ I guess I just need to suck it up and get back into sports and try to diet.

By the way, I way 225, and when I was competing in sports I was anywhere from 170-180

I am just one voice asking questions. I am not judging or telling you what to do. I am 57 and looking back at a 22 yr old woman and asking the questions i would have wanted someone to ask me. I think 22 is too young to make such a drastic, life long decision. You are barely out of college. How do you know you cant lose this weight? Have you really tried since gaining? What I have found in my yrs of researching this and i still havent made up my mind is that WLS will be the most difficult "diet" ( i fully understand it is not a diet, thus the quotation marks) that you will ever do. Smart eating plan and exercising seems way easier than what you have to put your body through with WLS....BUT, WLS gets results you may not get with diet and exercise. It's a tough decision. Im going through all of it myself. I have a feb surgery date and trying to prove to myself that I can get it done without WLS. I am super competitive person and feel "weak" if I have to resort to WLS.

I am just one voice asking questions. I am not judging or telling you what to do. I am 57 and looking back at a 22 yr old woman and asking the questions i would have wanted someone to ask me. I think 22 is too young to make such a drastic, life long decision. You are barely out of college. How do you know you cant lose this weight? Have you really tried since gaining? What I have found in my yrs of researching this and i still havent made up my mind is that WLS will be the most difficult "diet" ( i fully understand it is not a diet, thus the quotation marks) that you will ever do. Smart eating plan and exercising seems way easier than what you have to put your body through with WLS....BUT, WLS gets results you may not get with diet and exercise. It's a tough decision. Im going through all of it myself. I have a feb surgery date and trying to prove to myself that I can get it done without WLS. I am super competitive person and feel "weak" if I have to resort to WLS.

No, thank you so much! That's just what I need to honesty! Like you said, I am young and I have been feeling like I kind of jumped into this. My husband told me to at least hold off and reshedule for a few months and see if I can lose the weight since I am just getting back into sports. When I am in the sports, I can generally eat what I want and stay at a certain weight, however it's just reaching that point. I feel like I have lost a good amount of weight on this pre-op diet and that has got me thinking that maybe I can do this on my own. I will try, because I think a life without any bread, Pasta, or cake might just be the saddest life ever :/ I will try harder and see what happens.

Thank you so much for your honesty and I really do appreciate you helping me, because I honestly have no clue what I'm doing lol : ) Sorry if I came off snappy, I was actually trying to be funny when I said I will not be doing the surgery... etc... I'm a big joke-ster so I hope it didn't come off the wrong way : )

Glover, I am so sorry. I read my comment about not getting the surgery and going with everyone's advise and it sounded really snappy! Not the way I intended on it :) I really meant it in a sarcastic funny way.. too bad computers can't show our emotions lol I would like to apologize for that. I am also a little light headed from being on the pre-op diet and I'm quite hungry lol

Michele, no worries...since you are paying for this yourself, you can delay it a bit and see if you can be succesful with a smart eating plan. You say you dont have a clue what you are doing. If this is true then you should NOT have surgery yet. Research the hell out of this, understand what you will put your body through, realize what your life will be like for the next 60 yrs. You have time. You are only 22 yrs old. Get back into your sports and eat CLEAN. Go to EATCLEAN.com. Eat lots of Protein, veggies, fruit and Water. Cut out the junk, soda and sugar. You cant eat junk after WLS. As you have heard, lapband is only a tool. It does not fix the head....you will still have cravings. This is just my opinion. I wouldnt be saying the same thing to a 45 yr old who has been yo-yoing for yrs, facing diabetes and is morbidly obese.

Michele, no worries...since you are paying for this yourself, you can delay it a bit and see if you can be succesful with a smart eating plan. You say you dont have a clue what you are doing. If this is true then you should NOT have surgery yet. Research the hell out of this, understand what you will put your body through, realize what your life will be like for the next 60 yrs. You have time. You are only 22 yrs old. Get back into your sports and eat CLEAN. Go to EATCLEAN.com. Eat lots of Protein, veggies, fruit and Water. Cut out the junk, soda and sugar. You cant eat junk after WLS. As you have heard, lapband is only a tool. It does not fix the head....you will still have cravings. This is just my opinion. I wouldnt be saying the same thing to a 45 yr old who has been yo-yoing for yrs, facing diabetes and is morbidly obese.