Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband and period changes

I was banded July2011. After surgery my period was late the following month and again the month after and I told my physician and she said it was the weightloss causing my period to be off and that it was normal. Now my period has been on over a week with no signs of letting up. I only had ! heavy day and now its just a light flow w/clots(sorry graphic there) and its annoying. Is this normal or should i go back to the Dr to be checked?

Ann

blackmajyk@hotmail.com

It's normal, mine did the same thing right after surgery. It eventually stopped and now everything is normal :)

It is so true that we go through a lot of hormonal changes with weight loss, especially quick weight loss. We hold a lot of hormones in our fat cells. I too went through a lot of hormonal changes after my lap band. I have a history of PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and after losing all of the weight, it went away almost completely and my cycle completely normalized... so much so that I had a surprise pregnancy which was supposed to be impossible for me, and although it resulted in a loss; it was a sign that my body is getting really a lot healthier.

I also found that my periods have been heavier and more regular... which is a good thing, but I too had a period right after my surgery that was really long and difficult and it scared me a little. I ended up taking Iron supplements, and I was really careful about my Vitamin intake.

Hope you feel better soon, I think you'll be okay, but if it doesn't let up after a couple of weeks then call your doc.

I have pcos also, but for past 5 or 6 yrs surprisingly i started having normal cycle every month after going about 10 yrs with maybe twice a yr periods. Imma wait it out because next month we are moving to california and i dont wanna bog my time down with dr visits (other than my fills ) lol before I leave. I know I have become anemic and my physician told me I need to take an Iron supplement. I been dragging about it because I have to search for a liquid form and if it aint at Walmart lol I tend to drag about doing it. But I need to stop that before I hurt myself, I am going first thing in the morning to cvs and see what I can find.

It is so true that we go through a lot of hormonal changes with weight loss, especially quick weight loss. We hold a lot of hormones in our fat cells. I too went through a lot of hormonal changes after my lap band. I have a history of PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and after losing all of the weight, it went away almost completely and my cycle completely normalized... so much so that I had a surprise pregnancy which was supposed to be impossible for me, and although it resulted in a loss; it was a sign that my body is getting really a lot healthier.

I also found that my periods have been heavier and more regular... which is a good thing, but I too had a period right after my surgery that was really long and difficult and it scared me a little. I ended up taking Iron supplements, and I was really careful about my Vitamin intake.

Hope you feel better soon, I think you'll be okay, but if it doesn't let up after a couple of weeks then call your doc.

Also,,, I know you might find this hard to believe, but talk to your Dr. about Peri Menopause. Some women start at about that age.

I'm no Dr., but been there, and done that. Have a good talk and get educated a bit, it doesn't hurt to know.

I knew by mood swings, then long or short or nothing in a period.

Just a little advice for your own self.

Shirley.

I'm all over the board with my little friend. Early, then late, light, then heavy. But I was told it's normal and will eventually even it's self out like before surgery when I could count on my little friend like clock work. ( I am 100% sure I'm not pregnant.....but if I wasn't sure, I would check that out.)