Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is the second day of my pre op diet. I was put on a diet of 5-6 Protein Drinks a day and that's it! Nutritionist said I could have non starchy vegetables if I was starving. Yesterday was great with no problems. However, today has been a disaster! I've had a headache all day (kinda expected that), threw up twice, light headed...uugghh! Okay make that 3 times throwing up! I caved and had half a cup of green Beans, and I guess my tummy couldn't handle that either!! I don't know what to do! I've had 3 Protein Shakes and some Water. The thought of another Protein Drink right now makes me nautious! PLEASE tell me this passes as I have 7 more days of this to go! Has anyone else experienced this? I'm feeling really defeated. I've always had a pretty sensitive stomach to begin with. I also have zero energy which is not cool because I'm working all next week. I need to be able to focus and do my work! I don't know if it matters, but instead of mixing the drinks with water, I've been mixing them with skim milk. The nutritionist suggested it and I figured it would fill me up more. I've never had a problem with lactose before so I can't imagine that being the problem. My guess is that my blood sugar dropped. Anyways, any suggestions, ideas, and/or encouragement is much appreciated! Thanks1

Hi! Well I am sorry to tell you that the pre op diet just sucks. It was 2 years ago for me and I still remember how sick I felt. all day and all night! I was on the pre op diet for 3 weeks, after my first 7 days it did get better but I will tell you that looking back on it now 2 years later it was worth every dizzy spell and trow up. Dont cheet, and keep strong it's just the beginning of your journey.

Hi! Well I am sorry to tell you that the pre op diet just sucks. It was 2 years ago for me and I still remember how sick I felt. all day and all night! I was on the pre op diet for 3 weeks, after my first 7 days it did get better but I will tell you that looking back on it now 2 years later it was worth every dizzy spell and trow up. Dont cheet, and keep strong it's just the beginning of your journey.

Thanks! I was expecting some problems (like the headaches) but the throwing up I was not. I'm just glad to know that's normal.

My surgery is tomorrow and I can tell you that I still get woozy feeling. The headaches only lasted the first few days and I never did throw up, although I did feel queasy a lot. I was allowed fruits and veggies with my shakes, so that helped A LOT! Avoiding foods with fat, sugar, carbs and calories is essential to shrink the liver. The idea is to force the liver to burn the stored fat that is holding and therefor shrink. All the pre op diets are different and some are pretty extreme. If you can avoid adding fat and extra calories, plus avoid the carbs, you should be able to add some essential nutrition to your pre op diet so you can function bettre and still shrink your liver. Research liquid pre op diets on the net and check out how much they vary. In the end, they still accomplish the same thing.

Have you tried mixing the Protein Powder with something different? When I made mine with almond milk, my system seemed to tolerate them better. You could try Water, skim milk, almond milk or soy milk.

I had surgery a month ago and the first 3 days of the pre-surgery diet were awful...and the good news is, after I got through those early days, things settled down. I was dizzy, nauseous and miserable, but then I felt better. By the second week of the diet, the Protein shakes even started to taste okay. I mixed them with very cold Water and added crushed ice to the mix (then it was more like a milkshake). I think the major change in diet (from high carb/fat to low carb/fat) through me for a loop, but my body did get used to it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Well today is day 5 of my pre op diet. Things are better today. I switched to Carnation Breakfast and I believe I'll be able to handle that. It tastes good and has about 14 grams of Protein when combined with skim milk. I also had a slice of cheese. It's not what the doctor ordered, but I had to have my pre testing done today and almost passed out after giving blood. I needed something substantial. No nautiousness today! Yay! Thanks for all of your advice! Only 4 more days of this, then a day of Clear Liquids, then surgery day is here! Oh btw, as of today, I've lost 8 pounds!