Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just do not understand this

I joined the gym 11/22/05. I've done everything the trainer told me to do. I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I do 30 min. of card. and 30 min. of weight training. On the days I don't go the gym I still do 30 min. on the treadmill at home. Well today I met with the trainer to get re-assets. Pulse and blood pressure was good. I had lost 9 lbs. 4 inches in my waist. 3 inches in the hips. I was very happy with the results. I thought I had done a good job. Then she told me to stand on the scales that measures your body fat. I could not believe it. My body fat had went from 33.0 to 33.7. I just do not understand how you can work out as much as I have been doing, lose 9lbs, 7inches and then gain body fat.

The trainer said she did not understand it. Can someone please expain this to me.

Guest Kira M

That's what I wondered too, Nickie. How accurate the body fat scales are. That just doesn't make any sense. How frustrating!!

It's really important to weigh yourself on thoes scales at the same time of day (when measuring the fat). There are a lot ofules you have to follow to have an accurate body fat measurement. Don't worry.

Some of the rules : scale must be on a very level surface, bare feet, not conducted and vigerous excercise in last hour, same time of day. It is the most complex measurment to get from the scale- so don't worry. I'm sure something was off about that measurement.

:clap2: :clap2: 9 pounds YAY!!!!

yes I too wonder how accurate the body fat % is. I know the one I have at home jumps around daily and i read that it depends on how hydrated your body is at the time - it can have an effect on it. I wouldn't worry since everything else is moving in the right direction!

Those scales aren't very accurate. How hydrated you are at the time, if you check before or after a workout, the time of day, a level surface can all effect what it says. I'd go more by the fact that you have LOST weight, and INCHES. You have probally gained muscle which weighs more than fat but takes up less room. Good job on the exercise, keep it up you are on the right track, don't let any one number discourage you...look at the whole picture. (now if I could only follow my own advice...hehehe)

I've also heard that the body-fat "foot scales" don't work as well for women as for men. It's effected by the tides, so to speak. :) Women should use the hand analyzers.

I'd chalk it up to Water retention & ignore it. :(