Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Buffalo NY

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. My name is Joe, I'm a 41 year old male that lives in a suburb of Buffalo, NY. My doctor has been suggesting for me to get Lap Band surgery since my quadruple bypass in 2007. I think I am finally ready to start the process, but before I do, I thought I would seek a site like this to find out what the pros and cons are. I'm currently 300 pounds, and would ideally like to get down to 180, but honestly, I'd be ecstatic at 199. I can't remember the last time my weight started with a "1". lol

I'm not sure exactly what questions I have right now, but I'm certain I'll have quite a few. Most likely things like how difficult was the surgery? How long was recovery? How long were people out of work? (I'm an artisan scratch baker so my job is very physically demanding.) What did you tell people when they asked about the weight loss, and did you tell anyone before the surgery what you were going to do? You know, all the questions that I'll probably find answers to if I read through the board. lol

First of all welcome, good luck and congratulations. There are pros and cons with everything, so far I don't really have many cons other than I can't eat the amount of certain things anymore that I'd like to lol, but then again this is also a pro. Many people have complications, many do not, many succeed, many do not. But so far, almost a year out, I have no regrets. Some days it's a struggle, some days I couldn't be happier. It is no magic pill and it does take work, but I never forget why I did it, it's truely been a life changer (and saver) already, and I'm very happy with the results so far.

To answer some of your questions...

How difficult was the surgery? It wasn't very difficult, I was asleep lol. But seriously it's a low risk surgery, but there is some risk as with any surgery. I woke up and a few hours later I was on my way home, with no problems.

How long was recovery? Everyone is different, I was up and moving around the next day. I was full of gas so I had to be, plus moving around quickly after surgery helps you heal faster. It's usually a very fast recovery time for most people.

How long were people out of work? Some people are back to work in less than a week, some longer. I was greatful that my employer gave me 3 weeks no questions asked, they were very supportive. Although when I went back I did have some port pain from sitting and rubbing against the desk in my port area, and some pain from my bra rubbing one of my incisions (I don't think you'll have that problem lol). I was fine when I was up and moving around, it was the sitting and desk rubbing that really bothered me. I was also very tired when I came back, this was probably because I was getting used to eating such little bits and from being a slug for a few weeks lol.. Yes I milked my surgery and was lazy for a while.

What did you tell people when they asked about the weight loss, and did you tell anyone before the surgery what you were going to do? I told who I felt was important enough to know. I didn't hide it but I also didn't go around volunteering information. It was and still is on a need to know basis, if someone asks I'm honest but if it doesn't come up I don't talk about it. It really is a personal preference, some shout it from the rooftops, alot of people don't tell anyone but close family members and sometimes no one at all, to each his own.