Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a complete Newbie. HELP!

I'm a sixty year old woman with Afib. Had a heart attack about four years ago and my doctor has been trying to get me to loose weight. I've tried believe me I've tried them all in the last 30+ years with no success. I just can't seem to stay on a diet longer than 4 months so cardiologist is recommending the lapband.

I have heard good things and I have heard bad but no real information as to what you can eat afterwards. Do you loose weight so fast that you end up needing plastic surgery to get rid of the rolls of loose skin? I've also heard that many people gain their weight back in about 10 years. This all scares me but having another heart attack frightens me more. So if anyone has any information or advice please send it my way. I have to make this decision before Oct of next year when my husband retires and our insurance changes. As it is I'm hoping our insurance will cover at least part of this since it is for a life threatening reason. Thanks.

Deb

Hey Deb,

I would tell you do it now and by the time your husband retires you will be feeling good and ready for a great life. I am 52 as of last friday and I had Lapband Surgery in July 2009 and it was the best thing I have ever done. Wished I had done it 20 years ago. The first month after surgery is the hardest part while you are healing you will be hungry but it is only a month. If you like Water than you can even double your Water and maybe not be so hungry. But it is well worth it. The surgery is easy recovery time not too bad I would think easier than recovery from a heart attack. I went from 251 to 169 and holding would like to lose 15 to 20 lbs more.

Go to some support group meetings and meet people in person who have had the surgery. Also research on the web, books, but people at support group meetings are the best as you hear everything the good and the bad. I have not had any real problems, but people can. So research but I would not wait a year if you and your Dr's think it is right for you. I would be happy to answer any questions you have and there are great people on here that can share their experiences with you.

Cheri

Amazon.com has many many books about the surgery and life after.

Cheri

Read everything on these boards! I am 48 and feel like I have a whole new life. This seems like a good step toward getting healthy. I wouldnt worry too much about loose skin (yeah, I have some and no it doesnt matter to your skin how fast or slow you lose!) it should be the least of your concern in getting healthy so you can enjoy the rest of your life!