Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness as new addiction

So I've been thinking about this, because my husband has been "on" me about it. I guess I got the band because I was addicted to food and over-eating. It was my "go-to" comfort, way to de-stress, and overall how I managed stress in my life. I guess I'm just the type to get addicted to things, because now that I have my eating under control, and I've started really working out a lot, it's like the gym has become my new addiction. I really suffer if I miss a day in the gym, and I really look forward to my workouts. I even sometimes work out at night now, after a hard day of work, because I find it calms me. The problem is, my husband sees this as my new addiction, and he might be right. On the other hand, it's a healthy addiction, it makes me feel great, it allows me to accomplish more with my day because I'm not so tired all the time, and it really builds my confidence. I have the time for it - it's not cutting into other things, although I used to be more of a work-aholic and now I am cutting back a bit because I got too stressed. I really feel like so what if it's an addiction? It's a healthy one, and maybe I'm just the addictive type, might as well be addicted to something healthy. He feels that just for my "mental health" I should cut back.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Does anyone have any opinions on this?

RDK

As long as it's not affecting other aspects of your life, and you're not exercising for 8 hours a day, who cares? Exercise is a pretty good thing to get hooked on! Since I started exercising regularly, I have more energy and feel better about myself...what could be wrong with that? It doesn't sound like you're "addicted" to the gym, you just enjoy it. I wouldn't worry about it. Keep up the good work!

yes, I know exactly what you mean!! I'm out the door and at the gym on some days at 5:30am!

If I miss a day I feel very guilty, and if I know I have to work all day, like tomorrow, I get anxious thinking how I am going to get it in.

I now understand, when staying in hotels in strange towns/cities for business trips, people will get out and run no matter what.

yes, I know exactly what you mean!! I'm out the door and at the gym on some days at 5:30am!

If I miss a day I feel very guilty, and if I know I have to work all day, like tomorrow, I get anxious thinking how I am going to get it in.

I now understand, when staying in hotels in strange towns/cities for business trips, people will get out and run no matter what.

OK, so I'm not the only crazy one out there! B) Yes, I really feel something missing when I don't go. But I guess it is a healthy addiction, and anyway, I have no desire to change it at this point. Maybe when I lose the remaining 44.4 lbs I can think about changing something. But as it is, I am losing so slow - it took me 4 years to lose 55 lbs (mostly cuz I had a kid in middle and ended up worse off than where I started) But I am finally below where I was when I got pregnant with my baby, so my journey has restarted.

RDK

RDK

Hmmm, could this be the green eyed monster talking? I know my DH is jealous of my achievements and what I get from my fitness and jealous of the time it takes me - I will always make time to walk with him, but that's on top of my exercise (because in my overzealousness, I dont consider mere walking exercise, lol). He's always on at me to "help him" but once he's got me to drop a run or miss a gym session, he's "too tired", "too stressed" and I've given up my time for nothing. Which, I suspect, is what he wanted.

Truth is, I'm committed to running, and committed to exercise, but not addicted. If I've got time, its something I love to do and I make time for it. But I would never put it ahead of something the kids have on, or if there was a terrible mess in the house, or the kids hadnt been fed. But I sure as heck dont miss a run to do washing, clean a bathroom or whatever, that stuff can wait. I prefer to go to the gym than watch TV at night. I'd always welcome a fun social engagement and would miss a run for that, certainly, and I've taken it easy this week because I have a sore knee - but that injury, illness stuff gets to me, I ran 10 days after a bowel resection and right through chemotherapy, with an ileostomy (huge dehydration risk) and in the hot Melbourne summer- in hindsight, that was a bit stupid - i pushed myself really hard and I was having cancer treatment - that does border on addiction but that sort of silly behaviour has passed for me now treatment is over.

Truth is, being fit meals a lot to me and I prioritise it in my life but I'm generally not stupid over it. But we can find our partners preferred our couch potato ways as they dont like feeling guilty, being less fit and having you have such an interest in something that doesnt involve them. Its GOOD for your mental health, I do indeed use it to cope with stress.

Walking is good. Do it all the time with the dog on the boardwalk.

But unless my shirt is soaking wet with sweat, I don't feel I have accomplished much.

I'm with Jenn on this one. As long as it doesn't affect other aspects of your life in a negative way, you've picked a pretty awesome thing to get addicted to. haha. I'm the one who is jealous now! hahaha.

I have definitely transferred my food addiction to an exercise addiction! I am overjoyed by it. I agree that as long as it has not cut into other aspects of your life go for it! I find that it helps me with my stress levels as well as giving me much more energy in other aspects of my life. I have more energy to do fun things with my family and friends because of it. Definitely a win win for me! Who would've thought when we started this process that we would be worried about being addicted to exercise? Isn't that amazing? :lol:

I have definitely transferred my food addiction to an exercise addiction! I am overjoyed by it. I agree that as long as it has not cut into other aspects of your life go for it! I find that it helps me with my stress levels as well as giving me much more energy in other aspects of my life. I have more energy to do fun things with my family and friends because of it. Definitely a win win for me! Who would've thought when we started this process that we would be worried about being addicted to exercise? Isn't that amazing? :lol:

I love your quote - "My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking" - I think that exactly encapsulates what we were talking about. Today, I carried my boot camp trainer on my back across the room (and let me tell you, that girl has MUSCLE, she is HEAVY) The whole way across the room she was telling me that I love doing this :P The funniest part was that she wouldn't get off until I said "I love this!" Bizarrely, this was actually FUN, not something that I would have predicted before I started this journey. Like seriously? I can pick up this woman who is taller and more muscular than me on my back and walk across the room with her????? It's insane but I feel so accomplished right now. (also seriously SORE);)

RDK