Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help Me Get a Food List Together

Hey all,

May I get your collective brains together to help me come up with a

pre and post op vegetarian food list together? :-)

I figure those of you who have been through this, can maybe help me get this together? I do eat free range dairy and eggs.< /p>

Suggestions for:

Clear liquids

liquids

Mushies

And I think that covers it? AM I leaving a phase out?

THANK YOU

I believe there's a list as a sticky that would help you but here's some stuff I used.

Clear liquids (my life story lolol)

broth (they do have veggie both in packets if you don't do ckn)

Tea

coffee w/skim milk

Cranberry or Apple juice (no sugar added, get the 100% stuff)

Ice pops or Italian Ice (no pieces of fruit inside)

Isopure (its a clear Protein drink... just get a few, don't go crazy)

chewable Vitamins (Centrum has one thats good)

Water

Gatorade (ick)

Jello

Thicker Liquids

whey Protein drinks

Cream Soups (I lived on cambells selects butternut squash Soup...it has pieces of potato in it but they are teeny like rice and not alot)

And all of the above

I sucked on pepridge farm fish crackers...pizza flavor (just a few) but this helped me keep sane, I'm not saying to do this but after doing 3 weeks of liquid I was going nuts.

Mushies

Veggy refried Beans

Mashed taters or sweet taters

Frozen mashed turnups or butternut squash

Baby food

Apple sauce

Anything you can stick in your blender works

Thru these phases I would just be careful not to eat spicy or gasy foods, keep it bland.

Oh.... don't buy alot of stuff..you won't need as much as you think. I still have 1/2 of the 24 count box of ice pops in my freezer and a bottle of gadorade (ick). LOL

*bows to the patron saint of the cowbell*

Now then *chuckles*

NJChick's advice about not buying too much was right on the money. I think I have 10 cans each of chicken, beef and vegetable broth in my cupbards that I will most likely never use! Actually, I may have eaten all of the veggie broth, it was so good!

Check with your doc on the coffee. Mine limted me to 1 cup per day for a few weeks. coffee can cause dehydration.

Also, watch out for fruit and veggie skins. They get stuck easily.

I have been enjoying bean with bacon Soup, tuna (great protein), cottage cheese, Gorton's frozen fish fillets (no breading and they are so moist and yummy) oatmeal and Malto Meal are also good for mushies.

Hi,

I've been buying like a madwoman at the grocery store for my liquid phase (I'm going to be on "full" liquids for four weeks). Here's what I've bought so far:

Lots and lots of Slimfast Optima (half the sugar of regular Slimfast and it controls hunger for four hours according to the commercial)

Campbells split pea Soup (no chunks of anything, it's totally smooth)

Campbells Tomato Soup (again, smooth)

Water Sensations (these would work well for the clear liquid phase also)

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protien powder, chocolate, vanilla, and unflavored

The center where I go sells high-Protein Soups and hot chocolate so I bought like five boxes of that in various flavors. The brand is called "Healthwise".

I'm also planning on blending up alot of my own drinks like for example low-fat yogurt, bananna, one tablespoon Peanut Butter, and Protein Powder. (That's a recipe they gave us in my nutrition class).

For Clear Liquids (I have to be on them two days before and two days after surgery):

chicken broth (Healthwise makes a high-protien one)

Arizona no-carb iced tea

Crystal Light in various flavors

Jello

Mushy food:

Applesauce

Cottage cheese

refried Beans

lots of pureed things like homemade soups and stews

scrambled eggs

Hey Sunta.. be careful with the eggs. I hear they cause a lot of people to PB. Try them but eat slowly and really chew to test them out.

Sounds like you are ready! Ok, I'm getting excited for you now! *hugs*

Oh.. there is a post somewhere that lists out things you should have for after surgery. It includes things besides food. I'll try to find it for you.

I used a liquid Vitamin supplement called VIBE. It worked wonders for my mental clarity and I felt 100% better. In act I am now feeling far better than I ever have. Well, at least during the last 7-10 years.

Also, I firmly believe a quality tea is essential. We have a Teavana in the area so I was able to go there and sniff all of the teas. I loaded up on several selections, this way I did become bored with just one flavor. The Mate Vana helped me to wean myself off of coffee. You can go to thier website, www.teavana.com. If you are familiar with fine teas, then their are several websites that sale fine loose tea a bit cheaper. The Teavana website offers excellent descriptions of their teas, as well as nutritional information (antioxidants, Vitamins, etc).

Lemon grass Soup without the spice.

Good luck on your journey

PhotoNut, thank you! Thanks too for the advice about eggs. They told us we could eat them during the mushy phase in my nutrition class, but I did wonder because I had remembered some people on here saying they got stuck on eggs. About the non-food things we need for after surgery, so far I have bought Gas-x, a pill crusher, chewable vitamins, powdered Benefiber, a heating pad, liquid Tylenol, liquid Tylenol PM, and skin firming lotion (I'm very worried about excess skin so plan to put firming lotion on every day). Leenerbups, I also wanted to mention that Trader Joe's (if you have them where you live) sells these amazing, all-natural smooth Soups like roasted pepper and corn, brocolli, and carrot. They are all low-fat and really delicious. If you don't have a Trader Joe's, check out the nearest health food store for similar products.

I just want to thank each and every one of you, Photonut (yes, bow down! :) thank god someone on the board understands my wacked humor ), Sunta, ljones, NJchick for your really helpful replies. I'm making a list from all that you have suggested.

I'm also going to check out the liquid Vitamin. I ordered a liquid Vitamin (buy one, get one free) from Puritans Pride but since I have chronic fatigue syndrome, I'm always looking for that magic energy bullet.

And Sunta, we do have a Trader Joes. It's about a half hour away, and I have never been to one but everyone tells me I need to check it out. It may be worth the trip huh?

When you start the mushy stage or even regular food... chew the living daylights out of your food, like until it runs down your throat like Water and really concentrate on your eating because getting distracted is no fun lol.

When is your surgery Leener?

"Chew till it's goo" That's my creedo!

There's a thread now on the FAQ (frequently asked questions) forum that has a great list of things to purchase for post-op. Check it out.

*grins at leener* More cowbell!!

Thanks ladies! :-) I think chewing food up like that will be the hardest. I'm a bolter and when I chew too much it feels so foreighn and weird to me.

Leenerbups !!! I thought my husband and I were the only two who fell down laughing at the COWBELL SKIT !!! My husband has it downloaded and we watch it from time to time and laugh even harder each time we see it. We even have our kids saying "We need more cowbell !"

Ok, back to the original topic, sorry for the hijack.

Carry on...........