Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a Buddy/Mentor in Jacksonville, FL

Hi. My name is Ella and I am going to be banded on November 14th, 2011. I live in Jacksonville, FL. I am 28 years old and in a committed relationship. I've struggled with the pre-surgery diet, but I am determined to lose the weight. I need to lose a significant amount of weight - about 200 lbs. - and I chose the band over gastric bypass for safety and health reasons. I know I'll have to work twice as hard to get the results I need. I'd like to have a buddy/mentor who has been through this to bounce ideas off of and talk to.

Hey Ella,

I live in Jacksonville Fl as well. My wife and I are attending a seminar with Dr Cywes on Nov 16th, and if all goes well...we are hoping to both be banded early next year (new insurance kicks in Jan 1st so we have to wait until then to get officially satrted).

How was your experience with Dr Cywes so far?

My wifes biggest fear is that she will not do good on her Pre-Op diet when the time comes...how long did Dr Cywes have you on it?

PS: Love the New York Mets logo as your profile pic!!! Thats my favorite team!!

congrats on your upcoming banding. I had my band 2 years ago and have lost 80 pounds.It was the best decision i ever mad- i am no longer diabetic, asthmatic, hypertensive and my arthritis is much more manageable. Once you get past 18months the loss slows down. I had no problems with it other than the fact that is seems that everyone on this site seems to think that life goes on as normal afterwards and that just simply is not the case. From what i have read here, many people are very misinformed and because of that there is a 30% failure rate with bands. Now for the good news....you are the only one who can determine what you can and can not eat. I cannot eat chicken or any meat- it is not possible for me to chew it to the point of puree, i havent had bread, Pasta or raw veggetables since before my band. You also have to be very careful because as easy as it is to drink smoothies you can get 5000 calories in a smoothie. I have a personal trainer - one who actually went to school for it and has a degree in exercise physiology,not just a muscle bound guy who thinks everyone needs to do a million reps of anything. My diet now consists of Protein shake( ViSalus) for Breakfast and lunch, Soup, chowder or chili for dinner... and lots of Water. I take Vitamins as well- I use Visalus nutritionals- they can be crushed and put into the shake.

You are on a wonderful journey-- to a new you...Good luck. On Nov. 11 i will be having a tummy tuck--- its going to be a bathing suit summer next year.

Take care, feel free to contact me anytime ....

Kathy