Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need support!!!

Hello... My name is Liz and I am 3 months into the approval process. I am currently scheduling all of my appointments with the nutritionist and psych dr to get approved by my insurance company. I am attending a seminar next week. I told my mom the other day... she was supportive yet oblivious. She doesnt understand why I would want to get banded.

I weighed 320 lbs (size 24) at my highest. This was after a double pulmonary embolism at the age of 22 from an allergic reaction to birth controll pills. Ive lost about 60 lbs on my own, which brings me to where I am. I have always been heavy and I have always struggled with my weight, even thoiugh I am athletic. I have PCOS, which makes it even harder to manage my weight. I am now 274 lbs, size 18, and eligible for lapband by 20lbs.

At 27, Im tired of being big. I want to look good! I want my body to match my efforts! Im ready for a new life and I believe that I deserve it. Im tired of watching all my friends get married and have babys... and Im just stuck. If I am approved, my insurance will cover 100%. I figure why not, at the very least I'll loose 20 or 30 lbs minimum.

Right now, I am dealing with alot of fears and guilt. I feel like I should have been able to do this on my own. I feel like I have tried and tried and tried some more. Im scared that the band will not work. I am scared that I will not look good. Im scared of what people will say. I am scared that I will have loose skin or that I will look melted. Im scared that I may have another pulmonary embolism after surgery.

I am open to all comments and words of encouragement. I really need it. I do have a few friends who are really standing behind me on this.... my family is just uneducated. Also... can someone please share how much weight they lost their first month? First 2 months? Does it hurt when they fill the port with saline? What does it feel like? I assume that they stick a needle of sorts into theport. How far under your skin is it and where is it placed?

I had lap band surgery in May 2008. I have since lost 82lbs. I highly recommend it to anyone that meats the criteria for surgery. It has totally changed my life, I can do so much more and enjoy so many more things that I had been able to in years. I feel so much better about my self and the way I look. No, I have not reached my goal weight and have about another 60 lbs to go, but I have confidence I can do it.

My family was not well educated on the surgery either but knew that with my weight and all the diets I had tried and failed, I had to do something for my own health. So they stood behind me as I went thru the process. You have to do what u know is best for you. If you are unhappy with the way you look and feel then I say go for it. It is definetly a lifestyle change and a major change in the way you eat and think, but the results are so worth it.

As far as the fills and putting the needle into the port, I know it sounds scary and painful but it is not at all. I freak out at the sight of needles and am 37 years old. lol But believe it or not, after the first time I have never been scared anymore to get my fills. It has NEVER hurt, maybe a little uncomfortable but no pain whatsoever. My doctor makes me lie down and make like I am doing a sit up while he inserts the needle. Then, I sat up drink some Water while he fills the band ( this tells him how much to put in) and he says "take a deep breath" and pulls the needle out. That easy. I have told many people, I would much rather have that procedure done with a needle than my arm or hip stuck anyday.

I hope this helps and I wish the best in your adventure with having the lapband surgery. If you have anymore questions I would love to help u out anyway i can. Good Luck and God Bless!!

Sandra

I was banded 10-12-2010 and I've lost 98 lbs so far. Yeah, thats kinda slow I guess compared to some but if I didn't get the band, I would've gained about that much. I'm not sure what I lost the first month or two, because I was worried about it even working. All I know is that since getting banded, the entire year, every 6 weeks I saw my surgeon and never gained. So...whatever was a loss, was a loss. The fills are a bit uncomfortable for me sometimes just because I bruise easy and the more you lose, the more prominent your port becomes so for a few days afterward, my port area is tender. I have all my fill done under fluoroscopy so my surgeon and I can actually see the restriction I have. I started out at 324 (actually the last day i weighed before even going to a seminar) and I'm now 226. I still have more to lose but thats ok. one thing you need to learn and understand right now is that this is YOUR journey. No one elses. You have to be able to do it on your own and not depend on your familys support. I'm sure they're like mine, they support you of course, they just don't understand what you're gonna need, how you're gonna have to change and the lifestyle change you're gonna have to make. Mine are finally understanding that I'm really and truly not starving myself. I eat what I want, when I want but let ME decide what goes on my plate. They've learned not to get offended when I say no to certain things. You'll do fine. Join the chat groups on here, they're really great if you don't have that support in real life.

You need to do what is best for yourself, family support would be great but you may only gain there respect and understanding by doing this to and really working it. I too would like to have lost weight and kept it off on my own. I had lost weight in the past 100+ lbs in my 20's than slowly put it on and off for 30 years. I was a fat kid, teen adult and middle age. It took the band to really force me to make the lifestyle changes needed to maintain a weight loss. I retrospect if I worked this hard and this long before the band on changing my relationship with food and exerciser than a Diet like WW would have worked great. But for some reason it too the band to enable me to do this long term. Work out 3 x a week for years now and I enjoy it. Sure I could be stricter with my food and I have made mistakes but I stay at it and one key is to give yourself a number of lbs that is your MAX GAIN! say 5 lbs or 10 lbs and if you ever gain that 5 or 10 lbs back you make that commitment that you will get your self back on track.

I also come from a family where many are overweight and also have diabetes etc. My middle daughter is fighting this battle she is in her early 20's and in the process of getting banded. She too has PSOC and can loose weight but gains it back. She is hoping the band will be that added tool to change her lifestyle. Due I wish she did not need this operation (Yes) but if she is like me and this is what it will take for her to make a life time commitment to change and get healthy than I am fully behind her.

I hope your parents come around but this is not that bad.

The day of surgery I was scared! After it was over on the way home with my wife she had to make a stop a the store! Yes I went shopping with her. Not for long maybe 20 min but not a problem, The first few days you are sore, you have pain meds after a day or so I took them a few time and just went off to sleep. After like 2 days I was just taking them at night to get a good nights sleep. You need to follow your instructions to the letter, the first month or so as your body adjusts you will loose a lot of weight. for me 1st week Clear liquids (Special K has a clear drink). 2nd week full liquids (Egg Drop Soup! Etc) 3 week mushy foods. Key is to get lots of Protein.

One Key thing to remember is this that you will be able to eat again! so don't rush the first few weeks you will eat real food, and get healthy.

Please keep me advise of how you are doing, You are very brave to take this on and make this commitment to a lifetime of healthy living.

Take Care

ROSS THE BOSS

Thank you so much Ross it really means alot... everyone keeps saying "lifestyle" change. I don't need to make the commitment to work out because I did that years ago! I work out all the time. PCOS really derails my best efforts. I eat better than most and I just feel like this is all very unfair. If I look at a Gummy bear I gain 5 lbs. I really understand what your daughter is going through. God love her. My case is severe. I was diagnosed 10 years ago. If you asked my parents about it, they wouldnt know what it was. Yet another hard, cruel battle I have fought alone. I am actually workng on a website devoted to PCOS. I hope to share it with you soon Ross.

In the mean time, I will continue to work out and watch the diet in hopes of getting approved for surgery. My seminar in November 16th. Can you advise adverse effects of the band? Is bad gas a bad isue after recovery?

-Liz

Thank you so much Ross it really means alot... everyone keeps saying "lifestyle" change. I don't need to make the commitment to work out because I did that years ago! I work out all the time. PCOS really derails my best efforts. I eat better than most and I just feel like this is all very unfair. If I look at a Gummy bear I gain 5 lbs. I really understand what your daughter is going through. God love her. My case is severe. I was diagnosed 10 years ago. If you asked my parents about it, they wouldnt know what it was. Yet another hard, cruel battle I have fought alone. I am actually workng on a website devoted to PCOS. I hope to share it with you soon Ross.

In the mean time, I will continue to work out and watch the diet in hopes of getting approved for surgery. My seminar in November 16th. Can you advise adverse effects of the band? Is bad gas a bad isue after recovery?

-Liz

I too always ate well, good foods Protein, veg etc just too much and in that way the band helps a lot. I can understand about the carbs as I too can gain 5 lbs by looking at something high in carbs. Some of us are just much more sensitive to carb. It comes down to that if we eat the way were are suppose too once banded. (Protein 1st. Veg, 2nd than maybe a bit of starch or fruit ) you will be successful, Really we should be getting virtually all of our carbs in our Veg.

Regarding the gas issue. The only problem is just after the surgery, they fill your abdomen with air to place the band and after surgery you could have some issues with gas. For me I had some pain behind my shoulders etc. you should purchase Chew able Gas X. just take a few when you get home from the hospital and may be once or twice the first few days. Really no big deal now that you know how to prevent this from causing any problems.

Hope this helps.

Take care

ROSS

Thank you for your insight :)

Sunshine,

I share your feelings. How did I get here and why can't I correct this problem on my own? A feeling of failure, weakness, and eventually disgust.

We can lean on our circumstances as to our gain, or realize we've been doing it wrong. So what? Now we have a chance to do it right. We're simply getting a tool to help. The rest is up to us. I don't think anyone that had surgery cheated. If anything, they took the tough road. Difference is, you have a HUGE support team here. I know I have gathered a lot of insight from folks on the board.

Best of luck and keep in touch!

Thank you for your insight :)

Thanx everyone, thanx angela. Hopefully my surgery will be in august. BUT my insurance is changing, just found out today my coverage is going from 100% to 90%... so ill have to pay for some of it. Does any one know what the cost is with out insurance? I guess i should be thankful that i get 90% coverage... i kick myself in the ass for procrastinating. Had i gone through with my appointments in january id be banded by now. And covered at 100%. :(