Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band failure?

Hello!

So I was banded June 30th, and while it started out ok on the liquid diet, I haven't lost any weight since the week of July 10th. Before you go on your rant of telling me "don't lose hope" I've been working out 5x a week and I am following the plan perfectly. I have gone vegetarian and carb-free for the last 3 months, and I haven't lost or gained an ounce. NOT ONE.

What I want to find out, is there anyone who had the band fail and went for bypass or another option that actually worked? I have insulin resistance and PCOS, which they tell me are factors in losing weight with the band. If you want more details, you can view my blog here: http://daily-katie.blogspot.com/

Any information or suggestions of what has worked for others when the band didn't, would be great.

Thanks!

Katie

i am diabetic, and i have pcos and am insulin resistant(which later led to my diabetes). i got banded on 10-25 and have lost 12 pounds so far and have gotten rid of 2 of my diabetes meds so far and looks good to stop my blood pressure meds. have you had any fills? and you can give up meats and still eat alot of calories. have you tried doing a food diary and writing down every little snack and meal you eat, not skipping anything. i did and realized i was eating more then i thought.

maybe you should have your thyroid checked. not sure. if you stuck to the nutrition plan and are excercising 5x a week, dont see why it wouldnt work.

i am diabetic, and i have pcos and am insulin resistant(which later led to my diabetes). i got banded on 10-25 and have lost 12 pounds so far and have gotten rid of 2 of my diabetes meds so far and looks good to stop my blood pressure meds. have you had any fills? and you can give up meats and still eat alot of calories. have you tried doing a food diary and writing down every little snack and meal you eat, not skipping anything. i did and realized i was eating more then i thought.

maybe you should have your thyroid checked. not sure. if you stuck to the nutrition plan and are excercising 5x a week, dont see why it wouldnt work.

I also have type II diabetes. I lost 12 lbs right away, and gained back 2lbs the second i came off the liquid diet. Since then, I was just put back on my diabetes medicine last week. They took me off them initially, but since I haven't lost any more weight, I'm now back on them. I eat approximately 500-650 calories a day, I keep a food journal, I see the nutritionist, I vary my food intake, I have been doing everything 100% by the books since I was banded. It's not due to my failure. My thyroid is fine, I have a low metabolic rate, but every "trick" they try to help the band, isn't working. I'm at the point where I am looking for solutions others have had when the band failed.

if youre calories are already low, and that seems kinda too low. not sure how the others will help. they make your stomach smaller so you eat less, but if youre not overeating, then dont know how they would help you. maybe go to a 1000/day diet or try the liquids again for a kickstart. how many fills have you had? hope you find the key that works for you.

if youre calories are already low, and that seems kinda too low. not sure how the others will help. they make your stomach smaller so you eat less, but if youre not overeating, then dont know how they would help you. maybe go to a 1000/day diet or try the liquids again for a kickstart. how many fills have you had? hope you find the key that works for you.

I've had 2 fills. I am working with the nutritionist, and she said my calories are right on target. I'm hoping someone will have a similar experience and went for bypass. I want to see if it worked for them.

500-600 calories?!? That is way to low! You need to eat more. I know it may seem counterproductive, but those numbers are way to low. Your not giving your body ANY nutrition to function off of.

500-600 calories?!? That is way to low! You need to eat more. I know it may seem counterproductive, but those numbers are way to low. Your not giving your body ANY nutrition to function off of.

Thank you for your concern, but this has been a extremely long road. I'm looking for people who have had their doctor deem their band a failure as mine has and what solutions they found, if any.

the lap band is just a tool to help you reduce food intake and caloric intake. if youre really only eating 500-600 cal/day, its not a failure. i think youve already made your mind up you want to try something new. most of the failures are ones who continue eating as they did before the lap band and regain what they lost. i am sure there are dr's out there that will perform it if that is what you really want, insurances are another thing.

I personally think it is to soon to say the band is a failure. I do agree that you might want to increase your calorie intake a bit as your body may be in starvation mode and there for holding on to every pound. You really have only the band for 3 months now. I say circle back with your surgeon and see what they might do to help. Don't look at this a failure yet, look at this as fine tuning your diet, exercise and band in harmony so that you lose weight correctly.

Hello!

So I was banded June 30th, and while it started out ok on the liquid diet, I haven't lost any weight since the week of July 10th. Before you go on your rant of telling me "don't lose hope" I've been working out 5x a week and I am following the plan perfectly. I have gone vegetarian and carb-free for the last 3 months, and I haven't lost or gained an ounce. NOT ONE.

What I want to find out, is there anyone who had the band fail and went for bypass or another option that actually worked? I have insulin resistance and PCOS, which they tell me are factors in losing weight with the band. If you want more details, you can view my blog here: http://daily-katie.blogspot.com/

Any information or suggestions of what has worked for others when the band didn't, would be great.

Thanks!

Katie

I have a friend who had the same issue and her Dr. suggested to her the sleeve. She had that done and lost 100lbs in six months she went from a size 24 to a size 8. She is very happy and has even had a baby since then. O she did say that her Dr. told her that about 10% of lap band patients only loose like 1-2 lbs a month and she was in that 10%.

Thank you for your concern, but this has been a extremely long road. I'm looking for people who have had their doctor deem their band a failure as mine has and what solutions they found, if any.

Hello! I am trying to be helpful. You've had one surgery already and not to long post op either and you're looking to have a different surgery. How bout taking some advice on how to lose weight with this procedure! You ARE putting your body into starvation mode with that amount of calories. And personally I believe any doctor who tells you to eat that low is an idiot! Especially if you are working out 5 times per week. Your body has nothing to make it go. I know immediately post op when I was eating that low the scale did not move.

try eating at least 1,000 calories. Trust me you will see the difference

A friend of mine went through something similar, her nurses kept saying that the 700 cal a day were perfect and that they didn't know why she wasn't loosing weight,,,She finally switched Dr's and they immediatley told her to increase to 1000-1200 cal a day and to keep track of everything she ate and BOOM! She lost a total of 80 pounds in like 6 months with her new Dr. I'm still so new to this so I can't really relate to any of it yet, but sounds like maybe you need more calories like the previous posters suggested. Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

If you want my honest opinion, here it is.

See the clicker down there? That's 73 pounds I have lost since I got my band on April 25th. You have had the band for three months and I sincerely think that calling it a failure this early would be a big mistake. It took me about three months to start losing regularly. I have slowed WAY down these past two weeks. Why? I was eating about 500 calories a day and just could not get myself to eat more. On top of that, I was exercising religiously. When you are eating that little, your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything. Eat more, and please don't be snappy to people that tell you something that you don't want to hear. It's a public forum.

Secondly, you're going to eat pretty much the same way with whatever surgery you get, so if it's not working now and you're doing all that you say that you are, then the surgery is not going to make a difference. It's your body. Just another reason to up the calorie intake.

My doctor would have a heart attack if he heard how little I've been getting in lately. Everyone here is trying to help and support you and instead of throwing in the towel, I think you should work with what you have before you cut yourself open again. This is a slow process, not a quick fix. My mother had the sleeve and had complications of her own. That wasn't a quick fix either. Every surgery you are going to get has its challenges. If you are at least not going to try to get across these, I doubt that you will be happy with the complications that come from a surgery that is more permanent than the band.

Best of luck to you on your journey,

Elizabeth