Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions, Questions and more Questions

Can anyone answer a few questions for me. I was banded on Feb.3rd and I feel pretty good so far, but I don't have any restriction at all when I drink liquids. I thought most people felt restricted just after surgery. Also, my doctor recommended only Clear Liquids for 2 weeks, but I am feeling the need for some Protein, due to my lack of energy... I have e-mailed him as well and I am waiting to hear back from him. I am also curious as to whether everyone can actually feel the band or the port inside them? I feel it there....hmm... anyway, please respond, it's hard not knowing what I should and shouldn't be feeling. ;)

When the band is put in, there is no fill in it. Some people dont swell as much as others so they may not have as much restriction. When you start with your fills, you will feel the restriciton.

As for the liquid diet, most doctors include Protein shakes in the liquid phase. It is vital that you get 60 grams of Protein right now, for healing and fighting infection. I'm sure the email from your doc will help clarify that. And, no matter what anyone else is doing.. be sure to do exactly what your doc instructs you to do. But don't always take for granted that you fully understood. Ask questions when you see others doing something different.

I was banded on Jan 9th and I can still feel my port under my skin. It used to stick out more and hurt quite a bit, then as the swelling went down it just had a bruised feeling to it and was less visible. The port is actually sewn to the muscle, so there will be swelling and pain there.

Hope this helps. And remember to ask your doc lots of questions. That's what you paid him for. ;)

I was banded 1/16. I feel only mild restriction and than mostly in the morning. I think that it is completely normal to feel nothing until you start mushies or solids. If you do, that means that you are applying pressure to a very raw area. It takes a month to heal.

Also, your surgeon is requiring clear fluids for a reason. It gets easier. If you are aching for Protein, I understand that there is a clear Protein Drink that is sold at GNC. It is supposed to be one of the better tasting even though I have not sampled it. Isopure.

The Fluid stages of healing are very important. You will hurt yourself if you try to rush or skip phases.

Welcome to the group, you will be on purees before you know it - well almost.

:welcome: ;)

y doctor recommended only clear liquids for 2 weeks, but I am feeling the need for some Protein, due to my lack of energy.

Isopure makes a clear liquid Protein drink and so does Boost..you can get the clear Isopure at any GNC store and the Boost at any grocery store.

. I thought most people felt restricted just after surgery.

Its not actual restriction but from the swelling, some will have more swelling then others, you may notice a difference once you get off of the clear liquids and move on to another phase, real true restriction will come once you get your fills, so do not get discouraged if you do not feel any yet or if you do not lose any weight during the pre fill stage, this 6 weeks is for healing and any weight loss during the pre fill stage is a bonus....remember the band was designed to work its best when filled so with no fill it is quite normal to not feel restriction or to not lose much. Good Luck ;)

Remember the first 6 weeks are about healing....;)

This clear liquid still confuses me. I have talked to my dr. and what I'm doing is okay, but my Protein shake is not clear by any means and I am tolerating it well. I am 1 week out from surgery and whenever I read that I'm still supposed to be on clear liquids, I hope I'm not messing anything up with my Protein shakes. I just assumed that Protein Shakes are included in the first couple of weeks after surgery.

Kelli

I didn't feel a lick of restriction until about a month or so after surgery, and I'm one of the rare cases that got a fill AT surgery. My restriction kicked in after I was totally on solid foods. I didn't even notice it during the liquid/soft foods stages. Then suddenly I had restriciton, and my first PB at about 6 weeks out. It totally shocked me! Some people say fills are that way too, for them. They don't initially feel it, then after days or even a couple of weeks, wham, there it is.

The Isopure site:

http://www.naturesbest.com/index.html?section=Shopping&catsec=208&-session=thisSession:66E77B3BDD1AD9D09A6A6584CEA7A0E2

I think it tastes like Koolaid... Mikey thinks it tastes like dirt, lol. Our GNC doesn't carry it, but Vitamin Shoppe does. Just be sure to get the Zero Carb version if you're watching carbs!

I'm dreading the liquid part, so we're well stocked. 3 days to go! :)

Go Janet!!!! The Isopure is ok, but it really has an after taste, to me. Joy tried drinking some the other day at work and it gassed her up so bad that her shoulder started killing her again. So, she doesn't do ISOpure, just the Carnations.