Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm officially a bander

I had my surgery on Tuesday Morning at 7:AM. Woke up at around 11:AM and was in horrible pain. Then was left in ICU for about 5 hours with not one person helping me. I started to get irate and my wife tried to calm me down. What was happening was I had herniated disks in my neck. When I came to after laying for so long on the operating table it must have irritated my disks horribly. I wish I had knew this could happen. I felt numbness and pain down my left arm into my hand. I couldn't move because of the surgery pain, neck pain and that they had IVs, electrodes connected to my chest, blood gas monitor, nasal canular, all in a bed with buttons on the outside that needed a key to operate. I not lying when I say no one came into my room in ICU in about 5 hours time. When my wife would ask for a nurse she said they were busy and to wait. I received no meds during this time. My doctor showed up because my wife called him down to the hospital. I then let him have it as well as the one male nurse that showed up. Needless to say after that blowup things got better care wise. I still today have to say I don't like what I went through. But I'm here now and on the road to a new life.

Welcome and congratulations !!!!!

Wholey crap, that had to suck. I'm sorry you had to go thru that. Where did you have the surgery?

glad your feeling better !!!

Princeton Medical Center. I really couldn't believe the type of care I was getting. If my wife wasn't there she'd never have believed it. She just gave birth to our daughter 3 1/2 weeks ago here at this hospital and the care was unbelievable. She was treated like royalty. Not me though at first. So maybe it was just a bad day there. It figures on my time.

Congrats on your surgery -- sorry you had such a tough time. I was banded on Monday and I can tell you the pain and discomfort gets better by the hour. Hang in there!

That's not the first time I have heard both ends of the spectrum for princeton. Some say it's the best care they ever had, and others say worst care they ever had.

I think it depends on the nurses, and who is on that day. A good nurse makes all the difference in recovery, they are like angels of mercy.

Did you have it done by Dr. Chau?

Is it normal to have lots of gas and only be able to drink 1/4 cup of liquids maybe 3 or 4 times a day. Yes, Doctor Chau.

Take teeny little sips all day long. The warmer liquids went down so much easier for me. Sip on broths and Decaf teas as well as your Water. The first few days are a little rough but it gets easier each day.

Is it normal to have lots of gas and only be able to drink 1/4 cup of liquids maybe 3 or 4 times a day.

Tons of gas was/is very normal for me. Blech. Use GasX if you can.

You should try to drink as much as possible so you don't get dehydrated. Tiny sips but do it all day long.

Yep its normal to have alot of gas... I'm out a few months and I still have gas but not the hurting kind (only the noisy kind lolol).

Congrats on the new baby :) what did you have?

Thank you everybody. It helps to know a few clicks away someone thats going through the same can coach you along with knowledge and that little pat on the back when needed.

I have a little girl, Danielle 7lbs.4ozs.. That gives me the complete package with my son, soon to be 6.

Congrats on the new Band, and the new Baby!

Soon enough, you will have to change your screen name to Going Down... (or maybe something like that with less connotations... lol!)

Sorry about the hospital. The gas is fun, isn't it? Hopefully it isn't the painful kind.

Good Luck and Take Care!!!